latestes windows 10 update

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 7

latestes windows 10 update

Post by powerboatr »

Folks

I am seriously confused on this last update, it started on weds and never finished until today at a little past 4 pm

computer kept rebooting, shutting down, rebooting etc and then would lock up. frozen like a statute. i had to manually turn it off and restart over 30 times. was really getting ready to take it to a repair place

this morning it finally started doing a disc scan and took 13 hrs to repair what ever hit it with the last update or somehow happened when the last update started.

now it its FAST like it was new and seems super charged.

my question is what caused the disc repair program to run for over 13 hrs and stop the complete boor up ?
thanks in advance
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 2

Re: latestes windows 10 update

Post by RottenApple »

powerboatr wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:37 pmmy question is what caused the disc repair program to run for over 13 hrs and stop the complete boor up ?
Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: Because it's Windows, Silly.

Speculation: While I did not experience this myself, either personally (I have a rather large # of computers in my household of 4) or professionally (I'm Systems Admin for a law firm in Dallas), my bet is on KB4023057 and KB3152881 being rolled into the monthly cumulative update. Those 2 patches have been the talk of a number of my former coworkers who work at various IT jobs. Seems they have a bit of a habit in doing exactly what you described, or causing BSODs.

ETA: You can try looking through the Event Viewer or examining Crash Dumps (if one were even taken), but finding out exactly what happened may well prove impossible. I'm only ever successful maybe 30% of the time. And that's being overly generous to myself, TBH. :tiphat:

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

RottenApple wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:29 pm
powerboatr wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:37 pmmy question is what caused the disc repair program to run for over 13 hrs and stop the complete boor up ?
Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: Because it's Windows, Silly.

Speculation: While I did not experience this myself, either personally (I have a rather large # of computers in my household of 4) or professionally (I'm Systems Admin for a law firm in Dallas), my bet is on KB4023057 and KB3152881 being rolled into the monthly cumulative update. Those 2 patches have been the talk of a number of my former coworkers who work at various IT jobs. Seems they have a bit of a habit in doing exactly what you described, or causing BSODs.

ETA: You can try looking through the Event Viewer or examining Crash Dumps (if one were even taken), but finding out exactly what happened may well prove impossible. I'm only ever successful maybe 30% of the time. And that's being overly generous to myself, TBH. :tiphat:
thanks
it was driving us crazy and phone searches on google to find any help was ummmm sucky . everything said let it boot up and then do a disc scan..oh sure let it boot up, it never would :oops: :oops: :mad5

i dont like the fact you cant hold off updates and let them go in at your own choosing. i have selected NO auto updates hundreds of times and yet, bam they do it anyway.
might give event viewer a look see
thanks
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RottenApple »

powerboatr wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:37 pmthanks
it was driving us crazy and phone searches on google to find any help was ummmm sucky . everything said let it boot up and then do a disc scan..oh sure let it boot up, it never would :oops: :oops: :mad5

i dont like the fact you cant hold off updates and let them go in at your own choosing. i have selected NO auto updates hundreds of times and yet, bam they do it anyway.
thanks
My pleasure. :tiphat:

While it was meant as tongue-in-cheek, I hope you didn't take offense to my first 2 answers. Just a tad bit of gallows humor.

BTW, please don't get your hopes up too much. Maybe you find the culprit, most likely you won't. I rarely do and I'm a professional. :???:

BTW, as to the "auto-update no matter what", Microsoft announced years (3-5) ago that they would no longer allow users to delay critical security updates. Presumably this was due to a liability issue with some airhead who didn't update in a long, long time, then got struck by a virus\malicious application that M$ patched years ago, sued M$, and won. If that's the case, I can't blame M$ for protecting themselves from crud like that. This only applies to home users, BTW.

Corporate users with either Professional or Enterprise are exempt from this as corporations presumably have better security on their networks, etc. But don't think that means you can just buy WinPro or WinEnt. You would also have to join the computer to a domain controller for it to be considered a "corporate" machine.

DevilDawg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DevilDawg »

I still have one Windows 10 Pro laptop that I got refurb of eBay a little over a year ago. I now mainly work off my iPads and just got the Mac mini m1 for desktop. The adjustment isn’t as bad as you would think, especially since Office 365 is readily available on the macs. I won’t speak for everyone, but I don’t see me missing PC moving forward.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

RottenApple wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:45 pm
powerboatr wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:37 pmthanks

thanks
My pleasure. :tiphat:

While it was meant as tongue-in-cheek, I hope you didn't take offense to my first 2 answers. Just a tad bit of gallows humor.

BTW, please don't get your hopes up too much. Maybe you find the culprit, most likely you won't. I rarely do and I'm a professional. :???:

BTW, as to the "auto-update no matter what", Microsoft announced years (3-5) ago that they would no longer allow users to delay critical security updates. Presumably this was due to a liability issue with some airhead who didn't update in a long, long time, then got struck by a virus\malicious application that M$ patched years ago, sued M$, and won. If that's the case, I can't blame M$ for protecting themselves from crud like that. This only applies to home users, BTW.

Corporate users with either Professional or Enterprise are exempt from this as corporations presumably have better security on their networks, etc. But don't think that means you can just buy WinPro or WinEnt. You would also have to join the computer to a domain controller for it to be considered a "corporate" machine.
no offense here, i am a sailor, my humor runs deep and off the edge of the planet.

i also got two more messages to reboot NOW as hard drive was AFU again, but this time it was through windows and not dell, like it was on first boot.
so i let it reboot and do the ETA of 12 hrs crap and it fixed the bug in about 45 minutes and rebooted as normal
so now i am looking for a new machine and an external drive to download all my "stuff" until new machine arrives.
my 365 renews Saturday of all days so hopefully she hangs in till then
i lost all faith today in the machine. or the ones and zeros at least

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

you aren't using Windows 11 yet?
lol me either,
but i maybe would if they re-added the home theater DVR functions back in Windows 7 had free and Windows 8 had if you paid to upgrade to Pro then paid more to add Windows Media Center then got mad when they discontinued supported DVR TV schedules for your paid extra for stuffs
If everything is stored on a cloud instead of my computer ... great time to use Ubuntu instead

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/windows-11

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i am OLD

found out last night that DVD discs that are 4.7 gb can be formatted to act like an USB drive. so I have been copying files like a politician all morning. :biggrinjester: :rules:

so far so good, it stayed on all night, and no more faults or weirdness.
looking at new machines now as well

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

This my home office. I’m stuck using a windows machine that is dedicated just for my laser engraving machine. Other than that I’m 100% Mac.

25FC12CB-C16E-4181-A1E6-10A0040BBF3B.jpeg

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Tex1961 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:35 pm This my home office. I’m stuck using a windows machine that is dedicated just for my laser engraving machine. Other than that I’m 100% Mac.

25FC12CB-C16E-4181-A1E6-10A0040BBF3B.jpeg
looks like launch control :hurry:

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

How old is your hard drive (boot drive), and is it a platter drive. I was having similar issue and upgraded a 5yo laptop to a SSD, and now it boots up in less than a minute, no problems with windows updates.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

it crapped the diaper late yesterday. i could get it to boot and then carefully continued to down load files to a usb or dvd.
went to office depot this morning got a new one with ssd drive. now the fun begins to transfer all my book marks from firefox to the new machine,
so far firefox is being a pain.

so i am reading my files and then typing in websites and playing remember me

funny thing is i never knew the one drive thing backed up critical stuff, like email accounts and desktop.
so as soon as i logged into microsoft to set up the machine, it had all my email accounts and stuff ready to verify and load. that saved me lots of stress, but then make me wonder what else they have

old machine was 2014 vintage, i am going purge all the sensitive data if i can keep it stable long enough then go see if i can get a new drive put in

dave_in_austin

Post by dave_in_austin »

powerboatr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:43 pm .... now the fun begins to transfer all my book marks from firefox to the new machine,
I have found mozbackup to be a painless way to transfer all of the firefox data to a new machine.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mozbackup/

Topic author
powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

dave_in_austin wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:58 pm
powerboatr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:43 pm .... now the fun begins to transfer all my book marks from firefox to the new machine,
I have found mozbackup to be a painless way to transfer all of the firefox data to a new machine.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mozbackup/
i got the password to move over, bu the book marks moved but are in some weird arrangement.
slow but sure wins the race ...

finally sync worked and we are gooooooooooooood

now the weird thing. this machine has been running since 1pm today as i was still downloading a few things and just letting it run
i put in diagnostic mode to monitor cpu, disc drive and memory.....zero issues.. even drive shows 10% with no errors or fragments.
wife will kill me if i dont find why it simply quit yesterday and locked up then changed its login password all by itself to my microsoft password

going to set screen saver back to on and to if it locks up

Return to “Off-Topic”