Shooting at Tennessee store

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shooting at Tennessee store

Post by AndyC1911 »

I did, on Twitter

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have 2 relatively inexpensive guns that stay in my car 24/7. A semi and a J frame revolver. So I'm always carrying while I'm in my car which is 90% of the time that I'm not in my house or at work. I always have a gun in reach at the house and can't carry at work. If I do leave my car, I will, at a minimum, put the J frame in my pocket, but I'm usually also carrying a 1911 in a belt holster.

So count me in to the group that "always" carries. It really isn't all that hard to do.

The only annoyance is that my wife gets mad when she has to borrow my car since she works at schools and doesn't want to have any guns in her vehicle.

E10

Post by E10 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:14 am The only annoyance is that my wife gets mad when she has to borrow my car since she works at schools and doesn't want to have any guns in her vehicle.
I drive a modified, lifted, big-tired, honkin’ Jeep Wrangler (Ruger .357 in a lockbox) that my wife hates to drive. That problem solved.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

longtooth wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:25 pm I will still believe any evident means of self defense is a deterrent to crime.
I agree. There is a lot of evidence - criminological, psychological, and statistical - that shows it truly is. Common sense even says it is. What is an armed, uniformed guard in a bank other than an evident means of self-defense employed in an attempt to reduce crime?

There is one theory of crime known as the routine activities theory. It says that a crime occurs any time a motivated offender finds a tempting target with a lack of sufficient guardianship. The interesting part of the theory is that it recognizes that how well protected something must be varies based on how motivated the offender is and on how tempting the target is. If the target is tempting enough and the offender is motivated enough, no amount of protection will stop the crime. If the target is not as tempting and the offender is not very motivated, it may only take a simple lock to protect the target. A visible weapon is simply an indicator of the protection of that target.

If you are walking around with large amounts of cash sticking out of your pockets, comic style, a visible gun may not protect you as the target is much more tempting. If you are walking around with normal clothes and no signs of extreme wealth on you, just being alert to your surroundings with no visible weapons may be enough to protect you.

And I will also admit that having a visible gun may make you a more tempting target, especially if they see you are not paying attention to your surroundings or if you are so old or frail that the offender thinks he can take you before you can use the gun. The gun actually becomes part of the expected loot and makes for a more tempting target.

I tend to keep my gun legally concealed by using a vest to cover it. I carry in an OWB holster on my right hip, where I always carried in uniform on duty. I do this because open carry is forbidden at work and because it alarms too many people who aren't thinking. But the vest was designed for concealed carry (has magazine pouches on the inside for example) and I think most people who look at me will recognize it as armed if they have any knowledge of firearm carry at all. For me, this is the best compromise between open carry and polite society/work.
Steve Rothstein

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tex1961 »

srothstein wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:40 pm
longtooth wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:25 pm I will still believe any evident means of self defense is a deterrent to crime.

I tend to keep my gun legally concealed by using a vest to cover it. I carry in an OWB holster on my right hip, where I always carried in uniform on duty. I do this because open carry is forbidden at work and because it alarms too many people who aren't thinking. But the vest was designed for concealed carry (has magazine pouches on the inside for example) and I think most people who look at me will recognize it as armed if they have any knowledge of firearm carry at all. For me, this is the best compromise between open carry and polite society/work.
That is how I’ve started to carry. About 3 months ago I moved from IWB under my shirt to OWB with a tucked in t shirt and a button up (left unbuttoned) shirt over it. My draw time has been almost cut in half.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I've been carrying regularly for the past 15 years. Maybe more importantly (at least IMO), I've been regularly taking firearms classes and visiting the range more frequently since 2019. I feel more confident in my abilities and feel I'm better equipped to defend myself if the need should arise. Also at least with one of the class I've been taking annually (Massad Ayoob), I have a record of how well I am shooting i.e. timed shooting from various distances. So I have an idea of where my skills are at. I have some friends that carry and when we go to the range together, their targets look like bad buckshot shot from a long distance LOL!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Woman who was killed was apparently a wonderful lady and a regular shopper at the store.

Everyone is devastated at this loss.

RIP.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 14951.html

23 yo daughter murdered in a convenience store robbery by two hooded individuals wearing masks and gloves.

More of that “White Privilege” Brandon talks about.

RIP.

Return to “Off-Topic”