San Antonio and Austin area meeting

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Re: San Antonio and Austin area meeting

Post by oljames3 »

srothstein wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:50 pm But I am going to take surprise_i'm_armed' suggestion from the other thread. I think we have enough interest to at least start a meeting.

So, how about the first one is Dec. 4, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. at the Bill Miller's in San Marcos? The exact address is Bill Miller #76, 3928 S Interstate Hwy 35 San Marcos, Texas. That is the corner of Centerpoint Drive and IH-35 on the southbound side. Take the Centerpoint exit (#200). If southbound, you will see it on the side of the road just before the intersection. If you are coming northbound, cross under the highway and you can cut through the convenience store lot to get into Bill Miller's lot. We can decide at this meetup if we want to change the location or time or even split it into one for Austin and one for San Antonio.

I will give fair warning though. If you show up, be careful. The outlet malls are right across the highway. I am sure some of us have passengers that might come along for that and it could get to be a very expensive breakfast.
Good time and location. I'll have to pass as I am doing CERT training in Bastrop that weekend.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

I'm going to put it on my calendar.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by der Teufel »

jmorris wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:12 pm I'm going to put it on my calendar.
Being an old retired guy, I don't always plan that far in advance. :drool:

But I'll put it on my calendar also, and make it if I can.
--
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Ruark wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:05 am Hard to think of a place that's accessible for everybody. I'm out here near Comfort, about 30 miles NW of San Antonio, so just about anywhere is going to be a drive for me. Anything closer to me is going to be a drive for anybody else. As far as carrying, I really like the idea of everybody OC'ing, since that's sort of "who we are" and kinda makes the drive worth it.

One possible place is the Buttermilk Cafe in New Braunfels. GREAT menu (check it out), and they'll allow OC. They're open 7 to 2.
I just bought a place in Comfort. If you'd like to meet up at Manny's or El Torito for lunch one weekend That'd be cool.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

clarionite wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:15 pm
Ruark wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:05 am Hard to think of a place that's accessible for everybody. I'm out here near Comfort, about 30 miles NW of San Antonio, so just about anywhere is going to be a drive for me. Anything closer to me is going to be a drive for anybody else. As far as carrying, I really like the idea of everybody OC'ing, since that's sort of "who we are" and kinda makes the drive worth it.

One possible place is the Buttermilk Cafe in New Braunfels. GREAT menu (check it out), and they'll allow OC. They're open 7 to 2.
I just bought a place in Comfort. If you'd like to meet up at Manny's or El Torito for lunch one weekend That'd be cool.
Sure, sounds good. I'll be out of town this weekend, and next weekend's Thanksgiving, so some weekend after that. Don't really like Manny's, though - bleah food, overpriced. Had breakfast once at El Torito and it was inedible. Maybe I should give them another chance. If not them, then Los Jarros is good. Or maybe one of those places downtown.
-Ruark

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Ruark wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:30 pm
clarionite wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:15 pm

Sure, sounds good. I'll be out of town this weekend, and next weekend's Thanksgiving, so some weekend after that. Don't really like Manny's, though - bleah food, overpriced. Had breakfast once at El Torito and it was inedible. Maybe I should give them another chance. If not them, then Los Jarros is good. Or maybe one of those places downtown.
That time frame works for me. Today is my first Anniversary, so this weekend won't be spent with anyone other than my bride if I want to have a second. And next weekend I have friends in town. But I'm taking off most of December to burn some use it or lose it vacation time. So I'm a lot more flexible then.

I've only been in Comfort for a couple of months. Haven't tried Los Jarros yet. And haven't eaten breakfast at El Torito yet. But their Molcajete bowl is amazing. Manny's isn't my favorite, but it does seem to be a local favorite so I threw it in there. I did get tacos over on High street the other day at someone's suggestion. They said they were better than Mary's. Nope, no where even close.

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by der Teufel »

It looks like the planets are aligning for me to make it.
Wife says she'll probably join in also.
I've encouraged her to get a CHL, but she just hasn't yet felt the need. Y'all feel free to offer gentle encouragement if you like.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I can’t wait to read the after action reports. Y’all are going to have a great time.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
srothstein
Posts in topic: 9

Post by srothstein »

Just a quick reminder that our first breakfast meeting is this Saturday at 9:00 a,m, at the Bill Miller's in San Marcos on IH-35 at the Centerpoint exit (#200).
Steve Rothstein

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

srothstein wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:01 am Just a quick reminder that our first breakfast meeting is this Saturday at 9:00 a,m, at the Bill Miller's in San Marcos on IH-35 at the Centerpoint exit (#200).
Y'all have fun. I'll be in Bastrop for CERT training. Next time!
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

See y'all in a bit.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
srothstein

Post by srothstein »

we had a good meeting on Saturday. I enjoyed meeting Dave and his wife and Jay kept my wife laughing at puns and other jokes.

So, I will be there next month, but we will have to change to the second Saturday. This year the first Saturday is January 1 and I don't trust them to be open on that holiday. But Bill Miller's in San Marcos is still the planned location for January 8th at 9:00 a.m. Looking forward to seeing anyone who can make it.
Steve Rothstein

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Y'all have a good time, try to post a report and maybe some pictures. I'm just too far off to make it.

I'm good for a breakfast in Comfort sometime, or maybe Kerrville (Del Norte is a great place).
-Ruark

Topic author
srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Ruark wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:08 am Y'all have a good time, try to post a report and maybe some pictures. I'm just too far off to make it.

I'm good for a breakfast in Comfort sometime, or maybe Kerrville (Del Norte is a great place).
I can see moving the location around the area if there are enough interested people. I don't think we could get out to Comfort, but maybe back to the Boerne/Fair Oaks Ranch area again.
Steve Rothstein

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

srothstein wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:16 pm
Ruark wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:08 am Y'all have a good time, try to post a report and maybe some pictures. I'm just too far off to make it.

I can see moving the location around the area if there are enough interested people. I don't think we could get out to Comfort, but maybe back to the Boerne/Fair Oaks Ranch area again.
I'm also within 20 minute's drive of Bandera, Kerrville and Fredericksburg, if that helps.
-Ruark

Return to “Off-Topic”