San Antonio and Austin area meeting

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
srothstein
Posts in topic: 9

San Antonio and Austin area meeting

Post by srothstein »

This morning a few of us met for breakfast in San Antonio. It was a one time thing spurred by my joking in the Dallas meeting thread that I would love to go but it was a bit far for me to drive. Dallas has three different meetings monthly for the various parts of the Metroplex. Houston has a monthly meeting also.

One of the questions we talked about this morning was why we do not have a meeting in our area. The meeting can be for either the San Antonio or Austin areas or by picking a good location between them, one meeting for everyone in both. A late breakfast (9:00 a.m.) on Saturday appears to work for the other areas, but we could do a lunch meeting or later too. We could pick a specific weekend, like the second or third Saturday each month. Obviously, no one would be expected to make every meeting. And no one is expected to necessarily eat at each meeting (a restaurant with group tables like Rudy's is handy to get us all together but you would be welcome without eating if you did not want to).

Is there interest in this? Which weekend works best for anyone interested? What locations do you all suggest? Let's figure this out and get together.
Steve Rothstein

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: San Antonio and Austin area meeting

Post by Mike S »

My first thought was the Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood. But, looking at their reservation system you can only reserve a table for 10. Without a reservation, the wait times there can be quite awhile an weekends.

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by der Teufel »

I doubt that I can attend on a regular basis, but I'd like to meet up occasionally.
Maybe someplace in San Marcos? I'm close to Austin.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oljames3 »

I'm in Elgin. San Antonio is 1.5 to 2 hours. San Marcos is good.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I like the idea of San Marcos to New Braunfels. I live in Luling, so I can get to either of those fairly easily.

There is a Bill Miller's in San Marcos, an IHOP (that might be a little harder to get us all in a group), the Rudy's in New Braunfels. My son suggested maybe the Cafe on the Square in San Marcos, but I have never been there.

Any other ideas for places?
Steve Rothstein

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Cafe on the Square has been posted 30.07 since 2016.

See https://www.texas3006.com/view.php?id=11141
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I understand the objections to businesses posted with either 30.06 or 30.07, but don't let a 30.07 get in the way of a great place that would otherwise be acceptable to as many as can make it. Ours in DFW originally started when OC became legal to help us and others get used to the idea. Now, it's just a great excuse for some friends with similar interests to get together and talk in person rather than on the internet. Not everyone attending open carries any more and we don't care either. It was easier for me on this trip because of my mode of transportation and attire once at breakfast.

Oh, and we don't sleep late and show up at 0900. Ours typically start at 0800, but I was on vacation and my daughter is not a morning person. I think I've mentioned that before. "rlol"
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

C-dub wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:21 pm Oh, and we don't sleep late and show up at 0900. Ours typically start at 0800, but I was on vacation and my daughter is not a morning person. I think I've mentioned that before. "rlol"
She's made it to a few of the DFW breakfasts...sometimes multiple Rudy's in the same morning. :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Hard to think of a place that's accessible for everybody. I'm out here near Comfort, about 30 miles NW of San Antonio, so just about anywhere is going to be a drive for me. Anything closer to me is going to be a drive for anybody else. As far as carrying, I really like the idea of everybody OC'ing, since that's sort of "who we are" and kinda makes the drive worth it.

One possible place is the Buttermilk Cafe in New Braunfels. GREAT menu (check it out), and they'll allow OC. They're open 7 to 2.
-Ruark

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Ruark wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:05 am Hard to think of a place that's accessible for everybody.
This is a main reason we split it up into multiple groups on different Saturdays. A few attend 2 or even all 3, but mostly it's for those that are too far from one and and close enough to another location.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

C-dub wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:21 pm I understand the objections to businesses posted with either 30.06 or 30.07, but don't let a 30.07 get in the way of a great place that would otherwise be acceptable to as many as can make it. Ours in DFW originally started when OC became legal to help us and others get used to the idea. Now, it's just a great excuse for some friends with similar interests to get together and talk in person rather than on the internet. Not everyone attending open carries any more and we don't care either. It was easier for me on this trip because of my mode of transportation and attire once at breakfast.

Oh, and we don't sleep late and show up at 0900. Ours typically start at 0800, but I was on vacation and my daughter is not a morning person. I think I've mentioned that before. "rlol"
Choosing a venue that prohibits, in any way, the lawfully carrying of handguns seems antithetical to the underlying purpose of this forum.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

oljames3 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:24 am
C-dub wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:21 pm I understand the objections to businesses posted with either 30.06 or 30.07, but don't let a 30.07 get in the way of a great place that would otherwise be acceptable to as many as can make it. Ours in DFW originally started when OC became legal to help us and others get used to the idea. Now, it's just a great excuse for some friends with similar interests to get together and talk in person rather than on the internet. Not everyone attending open carries any more and we don't care either. It was easier for me on this trip because of my mode of transportation and attire once at breakfast.

Choosing a venue that prohibits, in any way, the lawfully carrying of handguns seems antithetical to the underlying purpose of this forum.
It is, but if the lack of suitable places due to distances becomes an obstacle I wouldn't let a 30.07 be what holds up an otherwise great time with friends. However, I doubt that there is a shortage of suitable locations that do not post either sign. Rudy's locations are great and that Bill Miller place was also very good with a similar menu and then some. Heck, some folks don't even eat at ours up here. They come just for the camaraderie.

Topic author
srothstein

Post by srothstein »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:12 pm Cafe on the Square has been posted 30.07 since 2016.

See https://www.texas3006.com/view.php?id=11141
Thanks, that lets that one out.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
srothstein

Post by srothstein »

C-dub wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:21 pmOh, and we don't sleep late and show up at 0900. Ours typically start at 0800, but I was on vacation and my daughter is not a morning person. I think I've mentioned that before. "rlol"
Well, I like the 9:00 start time. I am one of those guys who thinks any day that starts with an a.m. is already off to a bad start.

But 9:00 also gives us more time for the driving without anyone getting up way too early.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
srothstein

Post by srothstein »

But I am going to take surprise_i'm_armed' suggestion from the other thread. I think we have enough interest to at least start a meeting.

So, how about the first one is Dec. 4, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. at the Bill Miller's in San Marcos? The exact address is Bill Miller #76, 3928 S Interstate Hwy 35 San Marcos, Texas. That is the corner of Centerpoint Drive and IH-35 on the southbound side. Take the Centerpoint exit (#200). If southbound, you will see it on the side of the road just before the intersection. If you are coming northbound, cross under the highway and you can cut through the convenience store lot to get into Bill Miller's lot. We can decide at this meetup if we want to change the location or time or even split it into one for Austin and one for San Antonio.

I will give fair warning though. If you show up, be careful. The outlet malls are right across the highway. I am sure some of us have passengers that might come along for that and it could get to be a very expensive breakfast.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “Off-Topic”