On board vehicle air compressor suggestion?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

On board vehicle air compressor suggestion?

Post by cmgee67 »

I am looking into putting an on board air compressor on my truck. Does anyone have experience with this and have a brand they recommend?

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Re: On board vehicle air compressor suggestion?

Post by Ruark »

You mean those little miniature compressors you can use to inflate a flat tire? I'd like to hear some recs, too.
-Ruark

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

You can buy those anywhere. They have some that you charge up and they have some you can plug into the power adapter, the one they used for cigarette lighters a few years back. Some of them will double as a jump starter for a low battery. Unless you are looking for some kind of industrial grade compressor, it's not exactly a big deal. They are what they are.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I subscribed to this guy's youtube channel awhile back. His videos are always informative.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have the one in the first video that is labeled pittsburge(yellow hose) in my truck. It has the cigarette lighter adapter. I have had it for about 6 years and used it maybe 30 times to bring all my tires up to proper inflation and it still works fine. Never tried it from flat. I use a jack, tire tool and a spare if my tire is flat. LOL One thing that video doesn't cover is longevity. Some of the smaller pumps crap out after 10-15 uses.

My SIL uses one of those rechargable air pump/battery boosters. He buys one about every couple years. He says it works fine for inflating tires back to proper pressure and i know it works for starting a car because he rescued me from a Walgreens parking lot with it one time.

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

How often and how long are you expecting to use it? Most of the cheaper ones work and will last a while if you don't overwork them. The more expensive ones will work faster and for longer. I have this air compressor: https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-150-p ... 63184.html I use it to reinflate after I go offroading. It works pretty well. I just give it a break between wheels and make sure it doesn't overheat. It takes about 10 minutes to bring all my tires from 15psi to 40psi.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

When he said "on board" compressor I thought he was talking about an installed compressor used for inflating the suspension.
Charlie

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

TxRVer wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:46 pm When he said "on board" compressor I thought he was talking about an installed compressor used for inflating the suspension.
Agreed, to many options all depending on need. I’ve found a can of fix a flat to work quite nicely for a flat tire.

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

ARB is the obvious answer but the most expensive. You can rig a Viair 88p or similar unit to a breaker/fuse panel or on an add a circuit to a 12v slot on an existing fuse panel. From there you can run quick disconnects to the front and back or keep a long hose, or add in a 2-5gal tank with a one way pressure switch and valve.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I should have been more specific. I’m talking about the kind that you mount somewhere under the vehicle along with the tank and have a switch in the cab to turn it on and off

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

cmgee67 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:49 pm I should have been more specific. I’m talking about the kind that you mount somewhere under the vehicle along with the tank and have a switch in the cab to turn it on and off
Can't beat an ARB. Several of my friends in Colorado and New Mexico have them on their trucks and rave about them. I really don't want to invest that kinda money right now so I have a Viair air compressor that has been rock solid. It's slow but it'll inflate all four of my tires when I've air down for off roading. My last compressor died on me from constantly running.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A ... =UTF8&th=1
Last edited by Jose_in_Dallas on Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:48 pm
cmgee67 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:49 pm I should have been more specific. I’m talking about the kind that you mount somewhere under the vehicle along with the tank and have a switch in the cab to turn it on and off
Can't beat an ARB. Several of my friends in Colorado and New Mexico have them on their trucks and rave about them. I really don't want to invest that kinda money right now so I have a Viair air compressor that has been rock solid. It's slow but it'll inflate all four of my tires when I've air down for off roading. My last compressor died on me from constantly running.

amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I/ref=pp ... =UTF8&th=1
Linky no worky.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

anygunanywhere wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:54 am Linky no worky.
Sorry, try it now.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Mount a second a/c compressor and convert it to an air pump.

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

I had one years ago installed by 4 Wheel Parts in Houston for small in-coil air bags. It could have been set up to use for tires too. It worked great for the suspension and was very reasonably priced. Check with them.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Return to “Off-Topic”