A Ukraine and Russia post

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

extremist
Posts in topic: 13

Re: A Ukraine and Russia post

Post by extremist »

…Russia has ZERO right to invade Ukraine for any reason whatsoever.
I disagree. For a much wiser man's explanation, I suggest this article.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2022/03/vas ... an-crisis/
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 28

Post by The Annoyed Man »

extremist wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:53 am

And I disagree. Rockwell's article explains, but it fails to justify. We can use the same "logic" to justify invading Mexico…which is also a corrupt nation that abuses human rights and acts against our own interests. But of course, invading Mexico would be idiotic, not to mention morally wrong. Or, we could use that logic to invade Canada because Trudeau is a threat to our security. After all, his leadership of Canada is a threat to democracy everywhere…and we can’t have that right there along the 5,525 mile border we have with them.

I completely understand why Putin did it. I also understand perfectly well why Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK, or why Tonya Harding put the whack on Nancy Kerrigan. But understanding why Oswald and Harding did what they did, is not the same as justifying it.

Sovereign nations get to choose with whom they prefer to be allied. PERIOD. If another nation doesn’t like that alliance, that does NOT justify a "preemptive invasion". ALSO PERIOD. Putin is a pig.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

eyedoc
Posts in topic: 14

Post by eyedoc »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:31 pm
extremist wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:53 am

And I disagree. Rockwell's article explains, but it fails to justify. We can use the same "logic" to justify invading Mexico…which is also a corrupt nation that abuses human rights and acts against our own interests. But of course, invading Mexico would be idiotic, not to mention morally wrong. Or, we could use that logic to invade Canada because Trudeau is a threat to our security. After all, his leadership of Canada is a threat to democracy everywhere…and we can’t have that right there along the 5,525 mile border we have with them.

I completely understand why Putin did it. I also understand perfectly well why Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK, or why Tonya Harding put the whack on Nancy Kerrigan. But understanding why Oswald and Harding did what they did, is not the same as justifying it.

Sovereign nations get to choose with whom they prefer to be allied. PERIOD. If another nation doesn’t like that alliance, that does NOT justify a "preemptive invasion". ALSO PERIOD. Putin is a pig.
:tiphat:

extremist

Post by extremist »

I presume you were against the invasion of Iraq also?

parabelum
Posts in topic: 9

Post by parabelum »

extremist wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:53 pm I presume you were against the invasion of Iraq also?
Seriously, trying to draw out reducto ad absurdum argument through a fictitious parallelism? If you want to be an apologist for a pig, then just say so. Are you inferring that US is SAME as Russia by your question/post?

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

extremist wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:53 pm I presume you were against the invasion of Iraq also?
I wasn’t … because I was duped (unintentionally, or intentionally) … and then I was. Hindsight is 20/20. I wanted us out of there LONG before we actually got out. As soon as it became clear that Saddam Hussein's threat of WMD was hollow, which admittedly took a couple of years to determine, I realized that we had made a big mistake. I understood the rationale behind the decision to invade Iraq, and I let that sway me into supporting it. But then that rationale turned out to be flawed, so it became unjustifiable. If killing young Americans (first and foremost) along with thousands of others isn’t justifiable, then it’s a moral wrong. Iraq was a huge mistake.

I no longer support invasions where the root justification is false. If we can’t KNOW with 100% certainty that a country is an existential threat to ourselves, then we have no freaking business invading it. Period. We are not the world's police. This has nothing to do with my support for our boots-on-the-ground warfighters who served in Iraq, who I think performed magnificently, and who did their duty as ordered to by their command structure. But they too deserved better.

Putin's rationale for invading Ukraine is even flimsier than ours was for invading Iraq.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 17

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:23 am
I wasn’t … because I was duped (unintentionally, or intentionally) … and then I was. Hindsight is 20/20. I wanted us out of there LONG before we actually got out. As soon as it became clear that Saddam Hussein's threat of WMD was hollow, which admittedly took a couple of years to determine, I realized that we had made a big mistake. I understood the rationale behind the decision to invade Iraq, and I let that sway me into supporting it. But then that rationale turned out to be flawed, so it became unjustifiable. If killing young Americans (first and foremost) along with thousands of others isn’t justifiable, then it’s a moral wrong. Iraq was a huge mistake.

I no longer support invasions where the root justification is false. If we can’t KNOW with 100% certainty that a country is an existential threat to ourselves, then we have no freaking business invading it. Period. We are not the world's police. This has nothing to do with my support for our boots-on-the-ground warfighters who served in Iraq, who I think performed magnificently, and who did their duty as ordered to by their command structure. But they too deserved better.

Putin's rationale for invading Ukraine is even flimsier than ours was for invading Iraq.
That was exactly my sequence of feelings on it. I was cheering the first night we started blowing stuff up out there. Two years later I feel totally duped. I kept waiting for the WMD's we had all been told about. I don't trust anything our government spews out anymore. I mean nothing! Not from either party. They are all nothing but corrupt liars.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:28 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:23 am

That was exactly my sequence of feelings on it. I was cheering the first night we started blowing stuff up out there. Two years later I feel totally duped. I kept waiting for the WMD's we had all been told about. I don't trust anything our government spews out anymore. I mean nothing! Not from either party. They are all nothing but corrupt liars.
So much this. ^^^

#TINVOWOOT

philip964
Posts in topic: 29

Post by philip964 »

Iraq (Sadam) attempted to assassinate a former President of the United Stares. Bad luck for them his son became President.

History probably will show it sounded like a good idea at the time. How it will turn out for Iraq in a 100 years is still up in the air.

extremist

Post by extremist »

03Lightningrocks

The whole war situation is a replica of the movie, "Wag The Dog". We are all getting destroyed at gas pumps and grocery stores and all the MSM talks about is Ukraine.

Joe Biden bragged today about the increase in jobs and GDP as if he had something to do with it. Are people really this stupid? He is taking credit for the jobs picking up in the year after the government put the whole economy on shut down.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:14 pm Are people really this stupid? He is taking credit for the jobs picking up in the year after the government put the whole economy on shut down.
Mostly, yes they are.

#TINVOWOOT

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:49 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:14 pm Are people really this stupid? He is taking credit for the jobs picking up in the year after the government put the whole economy on shut down.
Mostly, yes they are.
Not much different than school boards or city councils claiming to lower your property taxes by lowering the rate, but still taking in an increased amount of revenue. Politicians will often massage "statistics" to defend their point of view.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks

Flightmare wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:56 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:49 pm
Mostly, yes they are.
Not much different than school boards or city councils claiming to lower your property taxes by lowering the rate, but still taking in an increased amount of revenue. Politicians will often massage "statistics" to defend their point of view.
It made me want to throw up when I heard Biden bragging about the best employment increase in forty years. That POS even through in a jab at Donald Trump as if somehow Trump policies had messed things up. I considered firing a round at my TV.

It is amazing how they conveniently forget about the great numbers the year before the "covid shutdown". Our economy was booming on every level! Wages had increased for minorities and women at record levels. Now we have Biden tying to compare to a year that everybody was sitting at home because of government shut downs.

He conveniently left out the record high inflation and gas prices that is wiping out everybody's paychecks. All while promoting another 5.8 trillion dollars in government spending! A loaf of bread is going to cost 5 bucks at the rate these leftists are going.

Honestly. I don't give a crap about Ukraine! It ain't our problem. I give a crap that my on hand money(savings) is worth 20% less than when that idiot took office.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:14 pm The whole war situation is a replica of the movie, "Wag The Dog". We are all getting destroyed at gas pumps and grocery stores and all the MSM talks about is Ukraine.

Joe Biden bragged today about the increase in jobs and GDP as if he had something to do with it. Are people really this stupid? He is taking credit for the jobs picking up in the year after the government put the whole economy on shut down.
My wife and I talked about this and we are concerned. It seems that the so called "world leaders" are the ones who should all be in jail and it is sobering to think than anyone in their right mind actually believes their transparent lies or falls for their distractions.

Right at this moment there is overwhelming legal evidence that Hunter and Joe should be sharing a cell together... with Hillary in a neighboring prison wing.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Off-Topic”