personal weather stations

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

personal weather stations

Post by powerboatr »

we put a weather station at our house a few weeks ago, took me that long to get it to show up on weather underground.
i had no idea there were so many Personal weather stations (PWS) in just dallas to the east

talk about a plethora of data...
Attachments
weather stations pws network.jpg
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: personal weather stations

Post by G.A. Heath »

powerboatr wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:20 pm we put a weather station at our house a few weeks ago, took me that long to get it to show up on weather underground.
i had no idea there were so many Personal weather stations (PWS) in just dallas to the east

talk about a plethora of data...
I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 reporting via APRS to CWOP among other services. Far fewer stations in my part of the state.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I have an Ambient WS5000 with several temperature sensors for outbuildings. I'm hoping to get more service life out of it than I did my two Davis units.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

i left out my unit its an accur rite 5 in 1 sensor with a separate lighting tower thats about 40 feet away from the main sensor on the pole

i was blown away by the numerous brands and types plus all the weather people :mrgreen:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

And that map is still zoomed out pretty far. Heck in our 1 mile x 1 mile block of several neighborhood I bet there’s 5-8 that all show on Weatherbug.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Did a weather station as a 7 th grade science fair project. Made a hair barometer or something. Determined dew point with ether and a regular thermometer.

Never a good idea to let a 7th grader loose with 8 Oz of ether.

Just got a RTL-SDR. It some kind of super radio that plugs into your computer.

After I confuse my self with that, this looks like fun.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

philip964 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:06 am Did a weather station as a 7 th grade science fair project. Made a hair barometer or something. Determined dew point with ether and a regular thermometer.

Never a good idea to let a 7th grader loose with 8 Oz of ether.

Just got a RTL-SDR. It some kind of super radio that plugs into your computer.

After I confuse my self with that, this looks like fun.
Software Defined Radio is fun.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

I've had both Acurite 5 in 1's and also Davis systems in the past, but so far, have really preferred my Tempest.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

And why did Weather Underground choose to name their company Weather Underground? It's owned (since 2012) by The Weather Company, which is a subsidiary of IBM (acquired the company in 2016). It started at the University of Michigan (circa 1991-1993), which is where the radical '70s far-left terrorist group began...in 1969 at the Ann Arbor campus.

The guys involved at the beginning of the meteorological service--Jeff Masters and Alan Steremberg, and I think Perry Samsom--evidently did name the service, specifically, in reference to Bill Ayers's 1969 effort to create a revolutionary party to overthrow American imperialism; they even issued a "Declaration of a State of War" against the United States government in 1970.

Why would you name a company that 25 years later? With that baggage, seems like a terrible name. Kinda like naming a company "CAITCO," for Communist Anti-Imperialist Terrorist Company."

So many things in life confuse me...
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Off-Topic”