Uh-oh.... another ugly trend

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Uh-oh.... another ugly trend

Post by Ruark »

Now climate-change extremists have started slashing tires of SUVs (like that's going to make any difference). They slash the tires, or deflate them and jam something into the valve, then of course stick a nasty note under the windshield wiper.

They've hit New York and San Francisco so far, but I read one article where they declared that this movement is preparing to "explode all over the world" in the near future.

https://tatumreport.com/group-of-climat ... the-world/

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/envi ... lthy-areas

Generally speaking, you can't legally use deadly force to protect property, but at the rate this tire-slashing and city-burning is going, that might need to change soon. This is getting out of control.
-Ruark

Flightmare

Re: Uh-oh.... another ugly trend

Post by Flightmare »

Not too smart on their part. It's going to increase sales of tires, which are made from that evil petroleum!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:21 pm Not too smart on their part. It's going to increase sales of tires, which are made from that evil petroleum!
Ya, this literally causes MORE pollution...

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

Their not smart enough to think that far out.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Ruark wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:59 pm Now climate-change extremists have started slashing tires of SUVs (like that's going to make any difference). They slash the tires, or deflate them and jam something into the valve, then of course stick a nasty note under the windshield wiper.

They've hit New York and San Francisco so far, but I read one article where they declared that this movement is preparing to "explode all over the world" in the near future.

Generally speaking, you can't legally use deadly force to protect property, but at the rate this tire-slashing and city-burning is going, that might need to change soon. This is getting out of control.
Not even at night in Texas?

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

philip964 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:03 pm
Ruark wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:59 pm Now climate-change extremists have started slashing tires of SUVs (like that's going to make any difference). They slash the tires, or deflate them and jam something into the valve, then of course stick a nasty note under the windshield wiper.

Yes, you can use deadly force at night to protect property.

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41 ;  and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robber A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41 ;  and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; , or criminal mischief during the nighttime;

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:24 pm
Flightmare wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:21 pm Not too smart on their part. It's going to increase sales of tires, which are made from that evil petroleum!
Ya, this literally causes MORE pollution...
They don’t care. You still have to pay for new tires. The goal is to punish you for being non-compliant with their Brownshirt politics.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:14 pm
Ruark wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:59 pm
Now climate-change extremists have started slashing tires of SUVs (like that's going to make any difference). They slash the tires, or deflate them and jam something into the valve, then of course stick a nasty note under the windshield wiper.

Yes, you can use deadly force at night to protect property.

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robber A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime;:

Here's TPC 9.42:
Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or;

((Subsection (b) goes on to describe the justification for using deadly force to recover property immediately (ie, without delay) after it was taken. Since it doesn't apply to this thread (unless the environmental terro-activist was stealing your tires...), I didn't copy/paste it here)).
Since TPC 9.42 requires you to already have been justified in using force under TPC 9.41, here's what that says:
Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY.
(a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

((I omitted Subsection (b) of TPC 9.41 for the same reason as above )).
Here's how Criminal Mischief is defined in the Texas Penal Code:
Sec. 28.03. CRIMINAL MISCHIEF
(a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner:

(1) he intentionally or knowingly damages or destroys the tangible property of the owner;

(2) he intentionally or knowingly tampers with the tangible property of the owner and causes pecuniary loss or substantial inconvenience to the owner or a third person; or

(3) he intentionally or knowingly makes markings, including inscriptions, slogans, drawings, or paintings, on the tangible property of the owner.
"Pecuniary loss" means the property owner is out money because of the offender tampering with the owner's property.

So, in my layman's understanding, you would have 'legal justification' in Texas to use force to stop that type of criminal activism (ie, someone slashing your tires or damaging the valve stem) regardless of if it was daytime or night time, 24-hrs a day. You can only use the amount of force that is reasonable to stop them, & only while it is still immediately necessary. But NOT deadly force under TPC 9.41.

If, however, it is during the night, under TPC 9.42 you may be legally justified to use either force, OR deadly force, to prevent or stop the criminal activist from slashing your tires/tampering with your valve stems (ie, criminal activist commiting criminal mischief). Again, you must reasonably believe that whatever level of force you used was immediately necessary to prevent/stop it.

Also note that the definition of "justification" in TPC 9.02 is:
Sec. 9.02. JUSTIFICATION AS A DEFENSE. It is a defense to prosecution that the conduct in question is justified under this chapter.
So, understand that a defense to prosecution means:
Sec. 2.03. DEFENSE. (a) A defense to prosecution for an offense in this code is so labeled by the phrase: "It is a defense to prosecution . . . ."

(b) The prosecuting attorney is not required to negate the existence of a defense in the accusation charging commission of the offense.

(c) The issue of the existence of a defense is not submitted to the jury unless evidence is admitted supporting the defense.

(d) If the issue of the existence of a defense is submitted to the jury, the court shall charge that a reasonable doubt on the issue requires that the defendant be acquitted.
So, my layman's understanding is that
(1) the prosecutor doesn't have to 'disprove' that your justification/defense doesn't apply when they charge you (ie, it is different when the law has an "exception", or says "this section doesn't apply if..."; In those instances the prosecutor must first establish that the 'exception' doesn't apply to your case before he can charge you. With a "defense to prosecution", the prosecutor doesn't have to negate that a defense exists), and;

(2) the jury doesn't get to hear that a defense is available, UNLESS you submit evidence that supports the defense.

BUT, if you submit evidence that supports the defense, the jury must be instructed to acquit you even if they have reasonable doubt regarding the justification (the defendant gets the benefit of the doubt).

So, even if a criminal activist is committing this at night, you could potentially still be charged by an activist prosecutor. It would be up to you (or better left to you lawyer) to provide evidence that supports your reasonable belief that criminal mischief was occuring at night.

References:
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... /PE.28.htm

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.2.htm

((And yes, I believe I just coined the term "criminal activist" & "activist prosecutor". Feel free to use it as often as possible to describe the sluggards who have lessened inhibitions of enforcing compliance with their ideologies))

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

If they are slashing tires, that means they have some sort of a weapon in hand. Then it becomes self defense IMHO and IANAL
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'd prefer to have slashed tires, rather than risk an avoidable armed confrontation or worse, having to live the rest of my life after shooting someone when I could have avoided it.

YMMV
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

If the stupid loons start doing this closer to home, maybe I'll pick up a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/EmbRoom-Hybrid-E ... PY16/?th=1

'Course, that's liable to greatly confuse the mechanics the next time I take the SUV in for service...
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Rafe wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:53 am If the stupid loons start doing this closer to home, maybe I'll pick up a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/EmbRoom-Hybrid-E ... PY16/?th=1
:mrgreen:

'Course, that's liable to greatly confuse the mechanics the next time I take the SUV in for service...
That’s some next-level genius right there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just may throw one on my 4Runner!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:02 am
Rafe wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:53 am If the stupid loons start doing this closer to home, maybe I'll pick up a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/EmbRoom-Hybrid-E ... PY16/?th=1
:mrgreen:

That’s some next-level genius right there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just may throw one on my 4Runner!
Why, gracias! It would also probably look interesting on a new Harley Davidson with the 131 cubic inch V-twin Milwaukee Eight engine and Screamin' Eagle Street Cannon mufflers. :biggrinjester:

Now that I think of it, I wonder if there's something similar for the ol' SUV that says it doesn't have a catalytic converter...
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

RoyGBiv wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:53 am

I'd prefer to have slashed tires, rather than risk an avoidable armed confrontation or worse, having to live the rest of my life after shooting someone when I could have avoided it.

YMMV
Slashed tires could be chump change in a situation such as this. Possible legal and civil defenses could cost big $$. :banghead:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I've posted similar replies in the past, but I'll post it again on this one. Every time I read one of these posts, I'm glad I live way out in the middle of flyover country. Sometimes I miss the amenities of living in a more populated area, but then again, where I live, the stuff those leftist terrorists are doing is highly unlikely out here. And according to some of the replies, the citizenry are in a no-win situation. The bad guys get to do anything they want and get away with it because no one is allowed to stop them because some crooked, criminal-loving prosecutor will put you in a prison where foul things will be done to you just because you don't want your property destroyed. I don't know who all has bought tires recently, but those things are EXPENSIVE. I'm just a blue-collar guy who does make a decent living but on the other hand, I don't have money to blow on new tires because they were slashed by a scumbag. No, I don't want to have to harm anyone for any reason, that's not what I'm getting at. What I am getting at is that there are deeper problems in this nation than just high inflation and fuel prices, when the legal system will go out of its way to side with criminals over hard-working citizens, according to some of the replies I read. Which, to sum up, is why I'm glad I live in flyover country.

Return to “Off-Topic”