Gun Stores off the Beaten Path

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Gun Stores off the Beaten Path

Post by puma guy »

I didn't know where to put this other that Off-Topic.

I often see little gun shops when I travel between Houston and DFW and Houston and New Braunfels. I stay off the interstates and this time I was going to a restaurant that was on I45 and Hwy 79. I went west from Hwy 75 to get to the cafe and saw a sign for Buffalo Sporting Goods. On the way back to Hwy 75 I pulled in. I was so glad I did. It was the nicest Mom and Pop gun store I've run across. Lots of firearms both new and used full cases of pistols and revolvers. The best part was conversing with the owner, Archie. I hear on a lot of gun forums I'm on about snotty and arrogant people in gun stores and have had my share, too. The guy was just a joy to talk to. I shared some of my experiences when I sold guns in the 60's and 70's and he shared a few as well from his 47 years in business. He showed me a beautiful Belgium Browning 30.06 bolt action and said he had a Colt Sauer in back he was working on. Not a testimonial for anything or an endorsement; just wanted to share a nice experience in a small town gun shop and meeting a nice fellow firearm enthusiast.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun Stores off the Beaten Path

Post by philip964 »

Exit 50 on I 49 near Joplin Mo.

Nice gun shop with great BBQ next door. Good place to stop for lunch and to shop, if your on I 49.

Nice selection, lots of Ammo, especially rifle ammo.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

One of my favorites is Ellis Gun Shack just outside Lubbock Tx on 5401 County Rd 7500 (Just off Slide Rd).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Dad24GreatKids

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

I’ve purchased a few things there at Buffalo Sporting Goods. Nice to just look around. If you were traveling on Hwy 75 in that area you probably drove past our place. Was it the Pharm that you tried? I think it is the best restaurant in that area.

Edited to add: A&C Firearms in Heidenheimer fits the description of off the beaten path.
Last edited by Dad24GreatKids on Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 2

Post by wheelgun1958 »

puma guy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:01 pm I didn't know where to put this other that Off-Topic.

I often see little gun shops when I travel between Houston and DFW and Houston and New Braunfels. I stay off the interstates and this time I was going to a restaurant that was on I45 and Hwy 79. I went west from Hwy 75 to get to the cafe and saw a sign for Buffalo Sporting Goods. On the way back to Hwy 75 I pulled in. I was so glad I did. It was the nicest Mom and Pop gun store I've run across. Lots of firearms both new and used full cases of pistols and revolvers. The best part was conversing with the owner, Archie. I hear on a lot of gun forums I'm on about snotty and arrogant people in gun stores and have had my share, too. The guy was just a joy to talk to. I shared some of my experiences when I sold guns in the 60's and 70's and he shared a few as well from his 47 years in business. He showed me a beautiful Belgium Browning 30.06 bolt action and said he had a Colt Sauer in back he was working on. Not a testimonial for anything or an endorsement; just wanted to share a nice experience in a small town gun shop and meeting a nice fellow firearm enthusiast.
My place is 18 miles s.e. of Buffalo. Next time you should try the salmon alfredo at Mickey's pizza. Follow it with baclava for dessert.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

wheelgun1958 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:10 pm
puma guy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:01 pm I didn't know where to put this other that Off-Topic.

My place is 18 miles s.e. of Buffalo. Next time you should try the salmon alfredo at Mickey's pizza. Follow it with baclava for dessert.
Not a big Alfredo fan, but my wife is. How's the pizza?

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

our place here in Quitman is like that, just 2 guys their wives and dog. nice folks , and you can loose an hour just gabbing about nothing
https://www.minutemanordnancecompany.com
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Gran's Guns in Leakey. Nice place.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 2

Post by wheelgun1958 »

puma guy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:23 pmNot a big Alfredo fan, but my wife is. How's the pizza?
I'm not a pizza connoisseur. It's pizza. The owner is an immigrant from Turkey and the food has a definite mediterranean flair. The entire family gets involved in the business.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

wheelgun1958 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:02 pm
puma guy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:23 pmNot a big Alfredo fan, but my wife is. How's the pizza?
I'm not a pizza connoisseur. It's pizza. The owner is an immigrant from Turkey and the food has a definite mediterranean flair. The entire family gets involved in the business.
I will definitely try it. Thanks

Return to “Off-Topic”