Breakfast in the Hill Country NW of San Antonio?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 14

Breakfast in the Hill Country NW of San Antonio?

Post by C-dub »

I'm coming back down to Pipe Creek again in May with my wife and another friend for a bike ride. We will probably spend most of Friday riding around, hitting the Twisted Sisters and then a steak house in Bandera, but I'm wondering if anyone would like to meet up somewhere within an hour of Pipe Creek for breakfast or brunch sometime between 0900-1200 on Saturday, May 13? My friend is not on the forum, but has been to breakfast a couple times with us up here to Rudy's.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

srothstein
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Breakfast in the Hill Country NW of San Antonio?

Post by srothstein »

I am up for it if I am not working that weekend. We only get the schedule for each month about the middle of the previous one, so I can't say for sure yet.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

srothstein wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:05 pm I am up for it if I am not working that weekend. We only get the schedule for each month about the middle of the previous one, so I can't say for sure yet.
:thumbs2:

It'd be great to see you again!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmorris »

Won't make it. We recently moved to La Vernia and that's going to be a bit of a drive for breakfast.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Ruark
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Ruark »

Sounds good to me. I live near Comfort, about 20 minutes from Kerrville. There's a GREAT place to eat breakfast in Kerrvile: Acapulco. Eat there all the time. Big, roomy, colorful place, great food, excellent biscuits and gravy, omelets, full bar, etc. Sometimes my wife likes a Mimosa with breakfast. AFAIK, open carry is fine there.

Another option, if you prefer a smaller, older, more traditional "small-town cafe" type environment, is Hill Country Cafe, on Main, just off of Sydney Baker. Has a "we don't call 911" sign, seen open carry there several times. But a smallish place, takes longer for service, but all is of course scrumptious, traditional country cafe food. It's been there for ages, has a loyal local clientele (some of which are armed). Caveat: I think they only take cash.

Anyway, if you're looking at Kerrville, those are good choices.
-Ruark

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Ruark wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:05 pm Sounds good to me. I live near Comfort, about 20 minutes from Kerrville. There's a GREAT place to eat breakfast in Kerrvile: Acapulco. Eat there all the time. Big, roomy, colorful place, great food, excellent biscuits and gravy, omelets, full bar, etc. Sometimes my wife likes a Mimosa with breakfast. AFAIK, open carry is fine there.

Another option, if you prefer a smaller, older, more traditional "small-town cafe" type environment, is Hill Country Cafe, on Main, just off of Sydney Baker. Has a "we don't call 911" sign, seen open carry there several times. But a smallish place, takes longer for service, but all is of course scrumptious, traditional country cafe food. It's been there for ages, has a loyal local clientele (some of which are armed). Caveat: I think they only take cash.

Anyway, if you're looking at Kerrville, those are good choices.
Comfort is fine with me as long as it isn't too far for others. Hill Country Café might be a problem since it looks like they are only open from 0600-1100 on Saturdays, while Acapulco is open all day from 0630-2130. We'll see what others have to say that are going to try and meet up. Accepting OC would be nice and keeping with the theme of open carrying at these breakfasts, but wouldn't be a deal killer.

E10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E10 »

I’m in. Acapulco is fine, tho’ I’ve never had breakfast there.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Ruark »

C-dub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:58 pm Comfort is fine with me as long as it isn't too far for others.
These are in Kerrville, not Comfort. There's no good breakfast in Comfort.
-Ruark

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Ruark wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:57 pm
C-dub wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:58 pm Comfort is fine with me as long as it isn't too far for others.
These are in Kerrville, not Comfort. There's no good breakfast in Comfort.
:oops:

And I even looked them up. :leaving

Well, as long as Kerrville isn't too far for any coming from further east, Acapulco sounds like it will be just fine.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

We're 8 weeks out. How is Kerrville for those thinking about meeting up with us? It's not too far for anyone is it?

E10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E10 »

I’m good. Kerrville’s my new stompin’ grounds.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I can do Kerrville if we don't start it too early. It is 2.5 to 3 hours driving for me
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

srothstein wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:54 pm I can do Kerrville if we don't start it too early. It is 2.5 to 3 hours driving for me
😮

I’m not worth a 2.5-3 hour drive. We can find a place closer to Steve, can’t we? Do we need to move further east or south?

EDIT: I just looked. How about someplace in or near Bulverde? Can everyone else make Bulverde by 1000ish?

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I don't mind the drive, it is getting up at 4:00 to get there for an 8:00 breakfast that would stop me. Besides, I haven't been to Kerrville in a while, so that might be nice. And I was thinking we kind of excluded the guys in Comfort and that area last time, so including them would be nice too.

But I would not argue with Bulverde, or even the Northwest side of San Antonio near Ih-10 and 1604. If we did an early lunch, say 11:00, that original Ruddy's would probably be a great place (still wish they had opened for breakfast).
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

srothstein wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:36 am I don't mind the drive, it is getting up at 4:00 to get there for an 8:00 breakfast that would stop me. Besides, I haven't been to Kerrville in a while, so that might be nice. And I was thinking we kind of excluded the guys in Comfort and that area last time, so including them would be nice too.

But I would not argue with Bulverde, or even the Northwest side of San Antonio near Ih-10 and 1604. If we did an early lunch, say 11:00, that original Ruddy's would probably be a great place (still wish they had opened for breakfast).
0800 was never my intention and was leaning more towards at least 1000. Since this is not a regular meet-up that can be spread around like we do up here in DFW I think a more central spot for those planning on coming makes sense. Also, IIRC, you're still not sure if you'll be able to attend yet due to work schedule not being posted.

I mainly wanted to get this thread back up on top in case anyone else wanted to meet-up. We'll finalize where after your May schedule is out and we have a better idea who plans on attending.

Return to “Off-Topic”