Missing tourist submarine at Titanic wreck site

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Missing tourist submarine at Titanic wreck site

Post by ELB »

philip964 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:27 pm “ The Titan’s hull was constructed from two different materials: carbon fiber-reinforced plastic and titanium.”

Your kidding me?

It shows a computer monitor screwed into the carbon fiber hull.
I’ve read other accounts that say the vehicle had a separate inner metal wall, separate from the carbon fiber hull, and the monitor mount is screwed into the inner wall, not the pressure hull.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 6

Post by philip964 »

ELB wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:57 pm
philip964 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:27 pm “ The Titan’s hull was constructed from two different materials: carbon fiber-reinforced plastic and titanium.”

Your kidding me?

It shows a computer monitor screwed into the carbon fiber hull.
I’ve read other accounts that say the vehicle had a separate inner metal wall, separate from the carbon fiber hull, and the monitor mount is screwed into the inner wall, not the pressure hull.
Yes I’m being told that it is an inner carbon fiber wall not the actual carbon fiber hill. I suspect maybe there is a foam insulation between the two. That would make sense.

It was not going deeper than it had been before, so fatigue may have caused the failure, rather than stress cracks from these screws.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G.A. Heath »

Navy subs which have tons of money, R&D, testing, and standards have a certain number of times they can dive before they are considered unsafe. This sub was built on a shoe string budget, one (possibly the only) engineer involved in it's development had concerns about the safety of the thing so he got fired, and it had other concerns.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “Off-Topic”