Texas decision against assisted opening knives

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Roshi
Posts in topic: 1

Texas decision against assisted opening knives

Post by Roshi »

Now that Texas has decided that assisted opening knives are switchblades, have you seen any changes in sales of these knives or how law enforcement treats them?

Would you support making switchblades legal in Texas? I would. They are tools just like guns and there are no bad knives as there are no bad guns.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Texas decision against assisted opening knives

Post by WildBill »

What decision are you referring to? :???:
NRA Endowment Member

Monkey404error
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Monkey404error »

WildBill wrote:What decision are you referring to? :???:
Was about to ask the same question.
http://concealedcampus.org/index.htm
Students should also have the rights to defend themselves

LedJedi
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LedJedi »

ok, that's gonna suck if my kershaw is now considered a switchblade. What's the deal with switchblades anyway?

When was this decision made?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Yeah, I have a Gerber with assisted opening. That would suck if it were suddenly illegal.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Roshi,
I think you are mistaken. Can you give some documentation so we can check it out. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

lunchbox
Posts in topic: 11

Post by lunchbox »

i dont see how they can be considered that witch they are not a switchblade is full spring loaded an assisted open is just that assisted there is a spring to help open the knife and they would need to change the definition of switchblade in the law not just say oh we are considering this to be a switchblade it doesnt work like that.
if i get arrested for mine i will fight it to the death im so sick of law enforcement over stepping their bounds and forgetting what they are there for
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Roshi wrote:Now that Texas has decided that assisted opening knives are switchblades, have you seen any changes in sales of these knives or how law enforcement treats them?

Would you support making switchblades legal in Texas? I would. They are tools just like guns and there are no bad knives as there are no bad guns.

Huh?

Please cite your source for this statement.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

i bet what happened is someone was caught and arrested with an assisted open knife and word got around that it was illegal cuz some liberal cop felt that it should be and thats the way he enforces it and if you dont know any better one will just go to jail without a word if in fact this is what happened we need a slick lawyer to take this case and put these cops behind a desk
i thought LEO were educated on what the law is and expected to enforce it as such
but it would seem to me they do what they want
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

lunchbox wrote:i bet what happened is someone was caught and arrested with an assisted open knife and word got around that it was illegal cuz some liberal cop felt that it should be and thats the way he enforces it and if you dont know any better one will just go to jail without a word if in fact this is what happened we need a slick lawyer to take this case and put these cops behind a desk i thought LEO were educated on what the law is and expected to enforce it as such but it would seem to me they do what they want
I doubt that happened.
NRA Endowment Member

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

lunchbox wrote:i bet what happened is someone was caught and arrested with an assisted open knife and word got around that it was illegal cuz some liberal cop felt that it should be and thats the way he enforces it and if you dont know any better one will just go to jail without a word if in fact this is what happened we need a slick lawyer to take this case and put these cops behind a desk
i thought LEO were educated on what the law is and expected to enforce it as such

Gosh, how did you arrive at all this from the little bit posted, you're being kinda rough on the "cops" don't you think? :???:

I'd be much surprised if this were the case. ;-)
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

SCone

Post by SCone »

Since tha law states...

Switchblade knife means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
(A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or
(B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

Almost anything that helps open a knife could make the knife illegal.

SCone

Post by SCone »

Found this description on a website that sells Gerber.

WHAT IS AN ASSISTED OPENING KNIFE? - An assisted opening knife uses a spring activated mechanism to deploy a knife blade when a little bit of pressure is applied in opening the knife by the folding method. They are commonly confused with switchblades, but have one main difference. While a switchblade can be opened usually with the push of a button, the user of an assisted knife must apply some pressure to the knife, usually at the thumb stud, thumbdisc or index finger protrusion. Once the knife has been opened about one-quarter of the way(45°), the mechanism will open the knife the rest of the way. These are NOT switchblades. You open the knife slightly with the thumb stud and then the spring takes over, snapping the blade open like a switchblade.

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

SCone wrote:Since tha law states...

Switchblade knife means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
(A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or
(B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

Almost anything that helps open a knife could make the knife illegal.
yep. i believe that's exactly what the law says.

which is why most assisted knifes have a stud on the blade, not the handle or sheath. That means until they change that wording assisted opening knives using studs on the blade are perfectly legal.

I dont think there should be any legislation against a switchblade anyway. How the knife opens is irrelevant. I'm just as fast with my kershaw as any switchblade i've ever seen.

I've also never used it to harm anyone unless they were in an envelope or wrapped up in bailing twine. However, I WILL use it to harm someone if necessary for my immediate defense, but then again i'll use anything within reach in that situation as well. Perhaps we should outlaw anything that could be in reach in an emergency situation? The world would be nothing but one large fun noodle. Of course then there'd be the special forces guy that comes along and kills 3 people with a fun noodle and then we're really in trouble.

lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

flintknapper wrote:
lunchbox wrote:i bet what happened is someone was caught and arrested with an assisted open knife and word got around that it was illegal cuz some liberal cop felt that it should be and thats the way he enforces it and if you dont know any better one will just go to jail without a word if in fact this is what happened we need a slick lawyer to take this case and put these cops behind a desk

Gosh, how did you arrive at all this from the little bit posted, you're being kinda rough on the "cops" don't you think? :???:

I'd be much surprised if this were the case. ;-)

think what you will but i have been told myself that i was under arrest for premeditated murder when i had not killed anyone nobody had died my experience with LEO has been less than pleasant and i feel that they do enforce the law the way they feel it should be

Return to “Off-Topic”