Himacain Gustava

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Himacain Gustava

Post by Liberty »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Hmmmm...I have a question for those in the Houston area. My son just moved there and lives near the University of Houston law school. About 6-8 miles north east of it. He started classes this past week and wanted to study all weekend. I guess learning to be a lawyer is hard work. Is he OK in that area or should I demand he head up here for the Monday arrival of Gustav. You guys in the Houston area have any sense of what this thing is going to do? Yes...I am an over protective papa. I haven't found an 800 number to get any help yet...so my son and daughter just have to deal with it. :tiphat:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm live on Galveston Island, so far It looks like I'm going to stay here for this storm. It looks like we will miss the worst of it. Even if it were barreling straight in on us, unless he lives in flood zone he probably is safer staying home in Houston. He is 50 miles from the coast after all and likely well over 25 ft above high tide. Evacuating has its own risks.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KBCraig »

KD5NRH wrote:I'll stick with my normal preparations; if it floods at 1300ft, we'll just put some more barbed wire up.
Or start cutting gopher wood and rounding up the critters...

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasComputerDude »

KBCraig wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:I'll stick with my normal preparations; if it floods at 1300ft, we'll just put some more barbed wire up.
Or start cutting gopher wood and rounding up the critters...

With all of today advances, wouldn't it be better to use steel and a pair of nuclear reactors to build an ark? Throwvin a couple planes for recon and give the doves a break.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Hmmmm...I have a question for those in the Houston area. My son just moved there and lives near the University of Houston law school. About 6-8 miles north east of it. He started classes this past week and wanted to study all weekend. I guess learning to be a lawyer is hard work. Is he OK in that area or should I demand he head up here for the Monday arrival of Gustav.
At this time, I'd say he's going to be comfy studying and staying where he is. Current forecasts only give Houston a 40% chance of rain for Monday and Tuesday. I think there's a reasonable chance we won't even know from looking outside tomorrow that a hurricane is coming ashore to our east.

After Gustav goes inland, some models are having it stall out near the Texas/Louisiana border around Center, Texas, and others want to bring the storm, as a depression only, back south-southwest toward Brenham late next week.

But without an unexpected left-hand turn of Gustav, Houston seems in good shape. I think our attention will be on Hannah in a couple of days...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Piney »

Greetings From Baytown--

Hotels are fullup. Gas still around. Stores crowded but OK with stocks I hear from the daugher @ Krogers.

I took some time to drive around the neighborhood and around town some this AM. Only my 1 neighbor has wood up on some of his windows. That might change some over the next couple of days but ???.

Im new to the cost, after living in East Texas (Nac. and Longview) since 77. Worst trouble from these storm I had was fallen pine trees. From what folks tell me-- unles ita going to be a direct hit-not to worry excpt for power outages. We're ready for that.

We're planning on staying here. I figure way more trouble fighting the traffic-- and no where to go anyway !

Bart

Post by Bart »

Piney wrote:Greetings From Baytown--

Hotels are fullup. Gas still around. Stores crowded but OK with stocks I hear from the daugher @ Krogers.

I took some time to drive around the neighborhood and around town some this AM. Only my 1 neighbor has wood up on some of his windows. That might change some over the next couple of days but ???.

Im new to the cost, after living in East Texas (Nac. and Longview) since 77. Worst trouble from these storm I had was fallen pine trees. From what folks tell me-- unles ita going to be a direct hit-not to worry excpt for power outages. We're ready for that.

We're planning on staying here. I figure way more trouble fighting the traffic-- and no where to go anyway !
You might want to check the flood maps. If you're in a flood prone area that's good to know ahead of time. I'm on high enough ground that I plan to ride out any hurricanes. There's a risk but for me it seems less risky than evacuating. It would be different if I lived below sea level in NOLA or even one of those Houston neighborhoods that was underwater during TS Allison.
http://maps2.tsarp.org/tsarp/
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I just got off the phone with him. He seemed unconcerned about it all. He reiterated that he is well out of the flood zones and said there probably wouldn't be enough rain to flood anyway. If Liberty can be on Galveston island and not be concerned...I guess a feller 50 something miles inland has nothing to worry about. Thanks again guys. :cheers2:

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I talked to a neighbor this afternoon. The only issue we have is the trees; we live in a heavily wooded community. (I have about 30 trees on my 1/4 acre lot.) Tornadoes spawned by a hurricane could do major damage here, but it appears that it's far enough away. If it were going to hit Beaumont or Lake Charles, I would want to leave.
She & I both decided to stay this go-round. I doubt we'll even lose power.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

We went un-manned at my facility in Port Fourchon for the first time since 2005 on Friday at around 11:30am. We are right smack dab where this thing is supposed to make landfall and about 250 feet from the water. I'm pretty certain if it hits like they say it will we might see total loss or very heavy damage to our building. I left Friday and drive to Texas. I was in Bryan/College Station over the weekend and I'm sitting down for the first time on here just now.

I guess we will see what happens.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

this was one fast moving storm so sad for L.A. but it didnt hit here im glad for that
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

waterpump1

Post by waterpump1 »

anygunanywhere wrote:If anyone up North needs to head South to escape and needs a place to say we can host 10 here in League City. 5 couples or 10 who really get along.

Firearms welcome.

Bring food. No Vegans here. We eat meat.

Seriously. If someone needs to hang out a few days please let me know.

Anygunanywhere
Thanks anygun hopefully we wil be able to ride it out in Klgore :txflag:
IANAL
NRA-member
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5/28/2008 completed chl app on
10/10/08 (plastic in hand) 84 days
"Especially for you Mr. Gore....From my cold dead hands!" Charleton Heston

apostate

Post by apostate »

I was at Walmart last week and bought some buckshot. As the clerk was ringing me up, he remarked that 00 was great for looters. It reminded me of the news item I saw re: people in NOLA buying AR-15s and .223 ammo in preparation for the storm. I hope that's a good sign for November.

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 6

Post by longtooth »

Damage report. Or better yet; a nodamage report.
Storm turnd North as soon as it made land & we only got the fringe of the rain & some wind.
Diboll is unharmed. Lufkin a few trees down, no injuries.
My place = one tree limb & no damage.

the way it looks on up North got it worse than we did here.
Need a report from tote9 & KBCraig. Any others in Longview to Texarkana area.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

All I saw coming out of Marshall today was water on the roads. The wind was up a little bit, but there was hardly enough rain coming down to keep the windshield wipers on.
NRA lifetime member

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

longtooth wrote:the way it looks on up North got it worse than we did here.
Need a report from tote9 & KBCraig. Any others in Longview to Texarkana area.
Not much to report. The eye (what's left of it) is overhead right now. We've had less than 2" of rain in two days, and I think the peak gust was 28mph. It maybe knocked a few dead limbs out, nothing more.

When it continued straight north instead of turning west, it really spared us the rain we would have had 8-16 inches. Luckily for us, most of that fell 100-200 miles east of here in SE Arkansas.
Last edited by KBCraig on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off-Topic”