Ike

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Piney
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ike

Post by Piney »

Baytown here--again
16:30 Sunday

We're S of Garth and Baker. We got power back about 2 hrs ago. Good part of "old" Baytown still w/o power. No water pressure now. Its just at trickle. Funny though-- had good water all through out the storm and after *shrugs*

We're quite thankful. Our property had very minimal damage: 1 tree, two palms and a piece of siding. As AG said in his previous post-- we also had water damage from water being blown through the roof's ridge vents. This damaged some sheetrock and dampened our pool table. The Ms grabbed her ShamWows and saved it LOL. I"d have never thought about water entering through that avenue ! Is there a fix for that ?

Hope all you folks in East Texas faired OK. Nac and Longview were home for me for many,many years. Those pine trees cause havock with power and houses ! We're newbies to these coastal storms. I did however, continue my ban on having a house with pine trees on the property when we moved here*grin*

Interesting comments floating around about the Baytown's mayor banning booze and firearm sales. I dont have a problem with the booze ban but the firearm ban is a bit overboard (and possible way outside that office's authority). Perhaps someone (who doesnt live here...) should file a FOI request for the legal basis the Mayor determined gave him this authority.

I'll get out and buy a generator, extention cords, gas cans, and a small window ac unit. Many of our neighbors had that setup so they were able to keep their refrigerators/freezers, a few lights and have a cool bedroom. I'll also get a TV antenna as cable was out most of the storm. Our first hurricane this close. Live and learn.

jlangton
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jlangton »

Got out today to hook up some generators for work,and made a trip into Wildwood. It looks like a bomb went off in the entire community.Trees all over houses,trees all over the roads,limbs and building debris everywhere-Rita was bad,but Ike may top Rita in damages. From what the other guys at work are telling me,it's the same everywhere around here. I'm taking the camera with me tomorrow to get some pics of the damages-it's gonna be a long time before power is back on around here.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

jimlongley wrote:
Rokyudai wrote:I went to Home Depot today. I don't plan to have a fraction of what is expected further south. I did think it would be good to get a good sized gas can and found the entire selection swiped with the exception of one 2 gallon can and a bunch of .5/1 gallon cans. Hanging on the shelves was a red flyer stating something to the effect that due to the hurricane, supplies were limited. Well, I got to thinking that they may have moved the inventory to stores that would likely sell more of them around this time rather than letting them sit up here. I'd like to think that they donated them but that's just naive on my part.
As a Home Depot associate I can assure you that while there has been some inter store transfer of items to meet storm related demand, most of the empty shelves are due to local shoppers. We have been out of generators since last week, and at this time there are none to be had this side of Wichita Falls.

Today's run has been on flashlights and batteries.
Funny...I live in Plano texas, near Dallas and last night had to visit two different wally worlds to find D batteries for my son to take back to Houston with him. An associate working at the first one told us that a couple came in from Houston and bought every Flashlight and D battery in the store to take back to Houston. They apparently plan to get rich selling flashlights. At the second wally world they had been through and wiped out almost all the batteries and flashlights. We bought the last of what they had. About 10 8 packs. My son called after getting home...no electricity...barely running water. At least he has a battery powered lantern and fan. Oh yeah...he decided he didn't need to refill the tank on his way back because the line was too long. Now he is sitting at his apartment in downtown Houston with maybe two gallons in his tank. Slick move on his part...no school tommorow at UofH so going home was pointless...like I told him it would be. I guess they just never are going to learn i might be right once in awhile...LOL.

T3hK1w1

Post by T3hK1w1 »

Well, I'm just now checking in here, I've been communicating with my folks. I've moved up to Vermont for the fall college semester, and have been watching Ike approach our home in NW Houston with dread. I got a call around 10AM yesterday from my mother stating that everyone was fine, but a tree had fallen on our house at 6AM. It snapped the main roof beam and totally destroyed my parent's room. My father was in bed at the time :roll: , and miraculously just had a ceiling fan blade bounce off of him. A 4x6 landed right where my mom would have been if she hadn't been sensibly huddled in the center of the house with my little brother and dog. It also took out everything over my little brother's room-the ceiling is in the process of collapsing there. We have a 10'x30' hole in our roof now from where the main roof beam collapsed. The insurance people are still trying to figure out if the house is salvageable. I don't have any pics yet because they have no power there-mom says the estimate is 3 weeks before power is restored, and the generator quit after running half an hour.
I'm just thanking the Powers That Be that my family is safe.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 7

Post by anygunanywhere »

I called seamusTX (Jim's) cell and left a message but have not heard back from him.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Thanks for the update, hopefully he just isn't getting signal.
so, how many Obama debates didja get into with your BIL? :lol::
woulda loved to have been a bug on the wall for that!
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

bryang

Post by bryang »

anygunanywhere wrote:I called seamusTX (Jim's) cell and left a message but have not heard back from him.

Anygunanywhere
Hi, anygun, I have been concerned about seamus, too. If you find out anything let us know, okay?

My prayers are with all of you that are down there on the coast!

Thanks,
-Geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 7

Post by anygunanywhere »

DoubleJ wrote:Thanks for the update, hopefully he just isn't getting signal.
so, how many Obama debates didja get into with your BIL? :lol::
woulda loved to have been a bug on the wall for that!
None, actually.

I was busy being the good host making certain my family-in-law was safe from harm. I dearly love my wife's sister. She is truly a saint being married to him. He was busy being him.

Me - "Felix, I would appreciate it if you would back your car up about 20 feet so I can get my truck out in the event we have to bug out. If we leave we are taking the diesel."

Him sittting on the couch, hands his wife who is crippled with RA the keys. I take the keys and move the car.

Me outside removing plywood after fixing lunch on Saturday afternoon. She walks outside and asks me if she can help me. He is napping on my couch.

Besides, he would not get into an argument with a man carrying a .45.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

I'm sorry you had to endure that, you know, aside from that pesky wind and debris flying everywhere! :lol:
least ya'll made it out okay, and you didn't have to lose a foot in one of his orifices. :reddevil

sure hope Jim is okay. :???:
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NcongruNt »

Called Jim also and got voice mail after a couple of rings. Sent him a text message letting him know lots of folks were thinking of him and that prayers were with him.

I pray they're OK.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

aardwolf

Post by aardwolf »

Piney wrote:Interesting comments floating around about the Baytown's mayor banning booze and firearm sales. I dont have a problem with the booze ban but the firearm ban is a bit overboard (and possible way outside that office's authority).
I'm more annoyed that Spec's wasn't allowed to sell booze yesterday after the storm passed.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

aardwolf wrote:
Piney wrote:Interesting comments floating around about the Baytown's mayor banning booze and firearm sales. I dont have a problem with the booze ban but the firearm ban is a bit overboard (and possible way outside that office's authority).
I'm more annoyed that Spec's wasn't allowed to sell booze yesterday after the storm passed.
Sunday is still Sunday. The wise ones keep a constant stock in case of sudden hurricane or party conditions. Glad to know my rum collection survived.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

Still no power here in Katy on Mason road (south of Fry) since Friday at 7 pm. Damage looked minor in most of this area. Small downed trees, fences and a few missing shingles. Just up the road power is on and stores are open. Thank god for this cool weather!

My prayers go out to those much less fortunate.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I'm up in Dallas for the time being. Family is fine. Neighborhood in clear lake is still without power. No too much damage to my place. I'm told there were some looters on our street the other day, but the neighbors chased 'em off.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Off-Topic”