Home Security (Alarms, Cameras, Etc.)

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Home Security (Alarms, Cameras, Etc.)

Post by Keith B »

I am starting this thread due to some security system discussion in another one so as not to hijack it.

After having my vehicle broken into in the driveway, I installed a wireless IP camera and software that functions as a DVR. The camera is an Airlink 101 500W and the software is from Blue Iris Software.

The camera works pretty well, and the resolution is plenty good to get decent identification on it. Due to it having Infra-Red LED's on the camera, I had to cover them up with some black electrical tape so they wouldn't glare back from the window at night.

The software is really full featured and there is a version that will allow you to record multiple cameras. It will trigger on motion and also allow you to send a page or email if the motion sensor is tripped. You can even access the software from a remote location and watch the live video or review the recorded clips. Total cost for the camera (on sale at Fry's) and the software was about $120.

Since installation I have caught two instances of different kids checking out the cars in the driveway. Both times they looked up and saw the camera and scooted out of the drive pretty quickly. The police have both videos and sent them to the school liaison officers to see if they can identify the youths.

I think the deterrent of the camera alone is a good start!!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

hi-power
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Home Security (Alarms, Cameras, Etc.)

Post by hi-power »

Thanks for starting a post on this. I'm very interested in doing something like that also. I've currently got a $30.00 camera from Harbor Freight mounted above my front door and hard-wired into my TV set in the bedroom. That's it.

The last time I looked into decent security cameras, the price was a heck of a lot higher. $120.00 is not bad at all.

What's the story on the infrared lights? They come on when it's dark? How bright are they? I assume they're pretty noticeable if someone happens to walk by and look.

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Yeah, the infra-red LED's come on after dark and are controlled by a photo sensor in the camera. You can see them glowing at night.

The biggest problem is my camera is mounted inside a window, and the LED's cause a reflection on the glass and you can't see out. Now, after dark, you still need some sort of light source, so when my motion sensor lights come on in the drive, that change in light triggers the motion sensor of the software and it starts recording. As long as there is something moving, it will record (until I run out of hard drive anyway.)

One thing I forgot to mention about that software is you can actually have it record a set number frames before the motion was detected, and they will be in the video clip. So, when I caught the kids in the driveway, you can actually see them come around the fence and into the driveway before the motion was triggered.

As for your camera, you can use one of the hardwired cameras. You would just have to install some type of video capture card in your computer and connect that camera to it. That will even work for a old video camera you no longer use! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

hi-power
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hi-power »

Hmmm. I really want to cover every possible point of entry. Should be able to cover most everything with 4 cameras. $400-$500 wouldn't be bad at all for that kind of security. I especially like that the software notifies you by email or page if the motion sensor kicks on.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

A true infra red LED will not glow, some of the low end cameras use broad spectrum IR LEDs that do.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

That's not bad for $120.
Keith, how much tech-knowledge is required to get this set-up going?
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

CJATE

Post by CJATE »

can you turn it on and off easily or remote? I don’t want a text every time my wife come in and out of the house?

or I put one in at the shop, every time a customer comes in and out.

also, does that software make it easy to upload to an off sight hard drive? if My shop is broken into, my computer will likely not be around to retrieve the video from. right now, I use a lap top that I bring home every night,,, not a great area

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Venus Pax wrote:That's not bad for $120.
Keith, how much tech-knowledge is required to get this set-up going?
It is pretty easy to set up. Not really a lot of 'geekiness' required.
CJATE wrote:can you turn it on and off easily or remote? I don’t want a text every time my wife come in and out of the house?

or I put one in at the shop, every time a customer comes in and out.

also, does that software make it easy to upload to an off sight hard drive? if My shop is broken into, my computer will likely not be around to retrieve the video from. right now, I use a lap top that I bring home every night,,, not a great area
The software has a lot of capabilities and it can be set up to FTP the files to a remote storage location. I would suggest downloading the demo and reading the help files. Lots of good info in there. You can also look at the options and settings.

In today's Fry's add, the camera is back on sale for $79 (limit 2 per person.)

If you want the version of the software that does multiple cameras, it is a little more (I think $49 IIRC.)
Keith

Return to “Off-Topic”