5.11 Pants Trivia Question

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

5.11 Pants Trivia Question

Post by ELB »

5.11 pants have a strap sewed on them above the right rear pocket. Anyone know what this is for? I am apparently un-tactical enough not to recognize its tactical utility.
:confused5
USAF 1982-2005

Pinkycatcher
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 5.11 Pants Trivia Question

Post by Pinkycatcher »

To strap your night vision long barreled AR upper receiver?

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

It is there to clip items to it.

I don't get it either.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

I think it's for a radio or other longer items that might tip out of the slash rear pocket.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

ELB wrote:5.11 pants have a strap sewed on them above the right rear pocket. Anyone know what this is for? I am apparently un-tactical enough not to recognize its tactical utility.
You hang a tactical thingy there to help hide the lump from your tactical speedos so people will stop asking "Is that a gun in your drawers or do you need some Depends?"

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

boomerang wrote:I think it's for a radio or other longer items that might tip out of the slash rear pocket.
While I am amused (bemused?) by the other possibilities, I think this might be the answer to the tactical britches strap. I do carry a radio alot, never thought to put it in my back pocket. Will try this out and report back! :mrgreen:
USAF 1982-2005

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

From their website:

The extra deep rear slash pockets are easily accessed and hold extended mags, a baton or a 15” flashlight. You can also use the utility strap to secure a flashlight or store your ear protection at the range.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/ ... 01/I/74251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

KD5NRH wrote:
ELB wrote:5.11 pants have a strap sewed on them above the right rear pocket. Anyone know what this is for? I am apparently un-tactical enough not to recognize its tactical utility.
You hang a tactical thingy there to help hide the lump from your tactical speedos so people will stop asking "Is that a gun in your drawers or do you need some Depends?"
He must workout!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

blacktop

Post by blacktop »

It's a holdover from when they used to originally be mountain climber pants (Royal Robbins). You would hang your carabiners and other climbing hardware from it. I think now it is used as a nifty carry handle to pick Glock owners off the ground and carry them to the waiting ambulance after they shoot themselves in the leg while reholstering their pistols. :oops:
AJ
Cypress, TX

Mailed packet - Aug. 11
Check cashed- Aug. 21st
E-mailed Rep. Callegari, Sen. Dan Patrick, & Gov. Perry - Dec 30
Rec'd canned e-mail letter from Gov. Perry - Dec 31
DPS Website: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active - Jan. 7, 2009
Mailman delivered Jan. 10.

TraCoun

Post by TraCoun »

Don't know if it was intended for this or not, but I saw a picture one time of a guy who had an OWB holster there, and had it slipped down inside that strap, apparently so the strap could help hold the holster steadier.
TraCoun

txfireguy2003
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txfireguy2003 »

I always thought it was designed to attach your pistol "lanyard" to. You see these Tactical Tommy pictures all the time where some "AGENT" or "OPERATOR" has a coiled dog leash tied to the but of his sidearm, and the other end to his pants/belt or something. Seems kind of like a pain to me, I like a smooth, unimpeded presentation when I'm shooting to save my life, but they apparently are popular with the SWAT guys, or so the pictures would have you believe.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

blacktop wrote:It's a holdover from when they used to originally be mountain climber pants (Royal Robbins). You would hang your carabiners and other climbing hardware from it.
Ok, this is my new number one most likely reason -- perhaps people then found it handy for other things, like flashlights and such, and Robbins/5.11 said "Hey! New market niche!"

As for lanyard use -- lanyards have a long history. I've seen them in pix from early last century (i.e. WWI time frame) with the lanyard apparently attached to the epaulet or around the neck. I believe the were particularly popular with cavalry -- hard to go back and pick up that revolver when you are at gallop. Lanyards have come back into style, but if I wanted one I sure would not put it around my neck! I guess the strap on my ninja pants would work...

Thanks all.
USAF 1982-2005

txfireguy2003
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txfireguy2003 »

Good point ELB on the lanyards and cavalry. I suppose it DOES make sense for them, and some other operators, I didn't mean to imply that it didn't make any sense at all. Only that for ME, and I would think most all CHL holders, it be more of a hinderance than anything. I've never seen a cop with one, but then again, they don't fire from moving vehicles as the cavalry would have.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

I've seen pix of guys in Iraq and Afghanistan with the coiled, phone cord kind of lanyard, and you can get them thru various shooting supply websites.

But, I don't think I'm going to add one to my wardrobe anytime soon. I just hope I don't snag my tactical pants strap on a door handle or something... :mrgreen:
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”