Page 1 of 2

Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:57 am
by iratollah
Did my idea get stolen? About 13-14 months ago I sent to Seventeen magazine a picture of my daughter (Brunetti) sporting her bronze medal from Camp Perry along with a pic of the top 3 Texas Junior High Power shooters, who were all female and attractive. I suggested that Seventeen write an article on Girls and Guns. Never heard back from them.

Brunetti called me from Tel Aviv yesterday all irritated, "Daddy, Seventeen magazine ran a story on Girls with Guns. And the two with rifles were using scopes! Scoped rifles! That means they can't be that good!!!" And so on and so on, she had a bit to say and it was rather embellished.

This was the November issue which was delivered in October. This means it went to press in June/July. So they probably started working on the story in February. About 3-4 months after they got my email.

Did I give them the idea for the story? Brunetti says yes, and the editors (perform the mechanical action required to drink through a straw). A journalist friend says probably was my idea. That's okay.

The story (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/34614.html) was mostly positive. I suggested that my daughter write a letter to the editor if she wants to see her name there. BTW, she was still 17 when I wrote the letter and she just turned 19.

Some of you High Power shooters on this board will recognize these girls who at the 2008 Camp Perry National championships were the top 3 Texas juniors:
Image

Same three at 2007 National Championships. Do not be fooled, these girls shoot better than most of us guys.
Image

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:57 pm
by joe817
Fascinating post & pics ! Congrats to your daughter. It's refreshing to see things like this.

Thanks for posting. :tiphat: :thumbs2:

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:27 pm
by AndyC
Outstanding :txflag:

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:01 pm
by iratollah
I found a link where someone posted a copy of the story. They should have had some of the U.S. top female competitors in the story to emphasize the sporting aspect.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/34614.html

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:49 pm
by The Annoyed Man
iratollah wrote:I found a link where someone posted a copy of the story. They should have had some of the U.S. top female competitors in the story to emphasize the sporting aspect.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/34614.html
It's good that they published the article, but there is one thing I do object to about its tone, and that is all the emphasis on how the gun makes the girls feel, rather than what they can do with the gun, or their involvement in the sport. The reason this bothers me is that this is part of the misconception that anti-gunners have about the gun culture — that we are dysfunctional people who require the talisman of a gun to complete ourselves.
17 Magazine wrote:"It makes me feel strong"...

"It makes me feel safe"...

"It makes me feel proud"...

"Shooting makes me feel confident"...
Are they not strong/safe/proud/confident without a gun in their hands? To me, guns do not augment who I already am as a person. The article kind of implies that these young ladies are somehow more complete as individuals because they shoot guns. You are rightfully proud of your daughter's accomplishments, and she should be too. But I'm also betting that your young lady is complete as a person, with or without her guns.

I don't know if any of this makes sense to anyone else, but that's my 2¢.

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:18 pm
by karder
I would have sure enjoyed knowing some girls like those when I was 17! ;-)

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:21 pm
by longtooth
Congrats. I love to see young ladies out shoot most of the guys. :hurry:

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:43 pm
by Oldgringo
This video may be in keeping with this thread on girls and guns?

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geusCJ6ypLx ... yBwHN9GbsU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:25 pm
by TLynnHughes
In keeping with Girls and Guns - this is a video of my niece's first round downrange with williamkevin's RRA about five months ago. Watch the video all the way to the end and pay attention to her face. It's priceless! In the last eight months, she's gone from being concerned about handgun recoil to getting her own gun (a Beretta 9mm) for her 16th birthday. I'm thinking that potential suitors might want to pay attention. :smilelol5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-SdKzwmS8w

T.

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:36 pm
by williamkevin
TLynnHughes wrote:In keeping with Girls and Guns - this is a video of my niece's first round downrange with williamkevin's RRA about five months ago. Watch the video all the way to the end and pay attention to her face. It's priceless! In the last eight months, she's gone from being concerned about handgun recoil to getting her own gun (a Beretta 9mm) for her 16th birthday. I'm thinking that potential suitors might want to pay attention. :smilelol5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-SdKzwmS8w

T.
AHHH.....that never gets old!!! :thumbs2:

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:40 pm
by williamkevin
iratollah wrote:Did my idea get stolen? About 13-14 months ago I sent to Seventeen magazine a picture of my daughter (Brunetti) sporting her bronze medal from Camp Perry along with a pic of the top 3 Texas Junior High Power shooters, who were all female and attractive. I suggested that Seventeen write an article on Girls and Guns. Never heard back from them.

Brunetti called me from Tel Aviv yesterday all irritated, "Daddy, Seventeen magazine ran a story on Girls with Guns. And the two with rifles were using scopes! Scoped rifles! That means they can't be that good!!!" And so on and so on, she had a bit to say and it was rather embellished.

This was the November issue which was delivered in October. This means it went to press in June/July. So they probably started working on the story in February. About 3-4 months after they got my email.

Did I give them the idea for the story? Brunetti says yes, and the editors (perform the mechanical action required to drink through a straw). A journalist friend says probably was my idea. That's okay.

The story (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/34614.html) was mostly positive. I suggested that my daughter write a letter to the editor if she wants to see her name there. BTW, she was still 17 when I wrote the letter and she just turned 19.
Thanks for posting this!!
:coolgleamA:

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:51 pm
by iratollah
TLynnHughes wrote:In keeping with Girls and Guns - this is a video of my niece's first round downrange with williamkevin's RRA about five months ago. Watch the video all the way to the end and pay attention to her face. It's priceless! [/url]
Well done! Thanks for sharing that. More young women should be encouraged to get into this sport, they are our future. They will be raising our next generation of shooting sports enthusiasts and 2A supporters.

Here is picture of Brunetti's face immediately after the first burst with a FA Uzi...."Daaaaaaaaddy, I want one of these." Right after this pic she was immediately back into it. This was her 17th birthday, her choice for my gift to her. (Keen eyes will notice how she puts Scotch tape over one lens on her competition shooting glasses.)

Image

She's currently a college freshman studying art in Israel and is trying to get some range time in, the gun ownership laws there are surprisingly strict and it's not easy for civilians to get in trigger time. While she could do a 3 month IDF boot camp experience, it would take too much time away from her art studies and she's working hard to build her art portfolio. For last Father's Day, she used her air rifle to spell out an I <3 U pattern for my card. Am I proud or bragging? You bet.

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:27 am
by TLynnHughes
iratollah wrote:
She's currently a college freshman studying art in Israel and is trying to get some range time in, the gun ownership laws there are surprisingly strict and it's not easy for civilians to get in trigger time. While she could do a 3 month IDF boot camp experience, it would take too much time away from her art studies and she's working hard to build her art portfolio. For last Father's Day, she used her air rifle to spell out an I <3 U pattern for my card. Am I proud or bragging? You bet.
Thanks for sharing the picture! Brunetti is a beauty. Proud and bragging? You should be. :thumbs2:

T.

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:50 am
by AggieMM
Nice pictures and videos. I'm trying to raise mine right too. :coolgleamA:

Image

Thread with more pictures

Ryan

Re: Seventeen Magazine: Girls with Guns (now with mag article)

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:28 am
by pbwalker
TLynnHughes wrote:In keeping with Girls and Guns - this is a video of my niece's first round downrange with williamkevin's RRA about five months ago. Watch the video all the way to the end and pay attention to her face. It's priceless! In the last eight months, she's gone from being concerned about handgun recoil to getting her own gun (a Beretta 9mm) for her 16th birthday. I'm thinking that potential suitors might want to pay attention. :smilelol5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-SdKzwmS8w

T.
That was awesome! The smile on her face at the end was priceless!

I've got a 15 month old girl and another girl on the way, so I cannot wait for the opportunity to take them out! :thumbs2: