Why no one invadesSwitzerland

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gemini
Posts in topic: 1

Why no one invadesSwitzerland

Post by gemini »

I have never posted a link on this board. Mod's, if this is not acceptable, please
remove. However, I think this vid is cool.
http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/754.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davidtx
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Why no one invadesSwitzerland

Post by davidtx »

Nice video! I've been to Switzerland several times and seen a friend's service weapon in his closet, but never knew about the shooting event. It also never occurred to me that there would be a multi-generational accumulation side-effect.

davidtx

Post by davidtx »

Its also interesting to drive through the countryside. You'll see little drives peeling off the main road. They go to hangars cut into the sides of mountains. They have a lot of planes distributed throughout the countryside so that no single attack can take them out.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

From Wikipedia:

"The sale of ammunition – including Gw Pat.90 rounds for army-issue assault rifles – is subsidized by the Swiss government and made available at the many shooting ranges patronized by both private citizens and members of the militia. There is a regulatory requirement that ammunition sold at ranges must be used there. However, pro-gun advocates David Kopel and Stephen D'Andrilli claim "the rule is barely known and almost never obeyed". Indeed, while the sale of non-hunting ammunition is registered at the dealer if purchased at a private store, ammunition purchased at a shooting range is not."

So, the guns are fine, but the ammo must be used at ranges or it's "illegal," and the ammo for those guns bought at stores is "registered." Also, "the rule is barely known and almost never obeyed." Sounds like ammo control instead of gun control, and in order to have ammo you must register the ammo, or break the law. I guess the, "almost never obeyed" part is good until the gov't decides to enforce the law. Hmmm, ammo control vs. gun control. Quite a concept. Oh, and here I thought all along it was all those "red handled" knives with Swiss crosses that kept them safe :rolll

davidtx

Post by davidtx »

Interesting - when my friend showed me his gun, he told me that he HAD to keep the gun an a can of bullets (both provided by the government). He went to the hall closet and after a few minutes, managed to find both.

marksiwel
Banned

Re: Why no one invades Switzerland

Post by marksiwel »

This leads back to WW2, people say the Swiss were never invaded because it would be "Too Much for the Nazis" this is less than true
The Swiss worked with the Axis powers
Shipping between Italy and Germany
Making Metals/goods for the Axis powers aka their neighbors
Hiding Nazi Funds/Gold through banking, though to be fair they were "Neutral" so for them it was just banking
Also since they were "Neutral" they weren't bombed by the allies, giving the Germans a good place to get goods.
Also Switzerland was surrounded by the Axis Powers, they didn't have much of a choice.
But there were very real plans to invade Switzerland, giving most of it to Germany and the rest to Nazi controlled France. they found plans to invade after the war and Nazi Propaganda would often spout "We'll take Switzerland, the small porcupine, on our way back home!"
So there was no need to invade Switzerland, it wasnt standing in the way and cooperating and even though a majority of the population was anti-Hitler, they weren't really a problem for the Nazis.
Now would it have been a pain in the butt for the Germans? Maybe, you would expect a French style resistance, but if the bulk of the German army had Sat on Switzerland, who knows?
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

Interesting video, thanks for posting. :tiphat:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

Return to “Off-Topic”