Trying something out

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


LikesShinyThings
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 132
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Kingsland, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1291

Post by LikesShinyThings » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:27 pm

terryg wrote:
VoiceofReason wrote:Wow 1287 replies.
I think you mean 1288 replies ...
But who's counting? (1289)
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

User avatar

sjfcontrol
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 327
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Flint, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1292

Post by sjfcontrol » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Mary had a little lamb
her father shot it dead.
Now she takes the lamb to school
between two slices of bread!

(1290)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image


LikesShinyThings
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 132
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Kingsland, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1293

Post by LikesShinyThings » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:39 pm

sjfcontrol wrote:Mary had a little lamb
her father shot it dead.
Now she takes the lamb to school
between two slices of bread!

(1290)
Not quite the response I was thinking... (1291)
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

User avatar

sjfcontrol
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 327
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Flint, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1294

Post by sjfcontrol » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:50 pm

LikesShinyThings wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:Mary had a little lamb
her father shot it dead.
Now she takes the lamb to school
between two slices of bread!

(1290)
Not quite the response I was thinking... (1291)

Ummm, Count Von Count?

(1292)
Attachments
316px-Count_Kneeling.png
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image


JSThane
Banned
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: Trying something out

#1295

Post by JSThane » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:51 pm

Pointless reply to post on first page. Obvious lack of understanding of the original issue. Total and willful ignorance of discussion that followed.

[Quote provided, off topic to original issue and to reply]

Ad-hominem generalization about group of people not even mentioned in post.

Summation of reply, longer than actual reply.

Declaration that I must be right, as my logic is in-arguable.


LikesShinyThings
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 132
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Kingsland, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1296

Post by LikesShinyThings » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:57 pm

sjfcontrol wrote:
LikesShinyThings wrote:
Not quite the response I was thinking... (1291)
Ummm, Count Von Count?

(1292)
LOL. Ok, that wasn't quite it either, but I like this better than the one I had picked out, anyway, so major kudo points! :tiphat:
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL


LikesShinyThings
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 132
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Kingsland, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1297

Post by LikesShinyThings » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:59 pm

JSThane wrote:Pointless reply to post on first page. Obvious lack of understanding of the original issue. Total and willful ignorance of discussion that followed.

[Quote provided, off topic to original issue and to reply]

Ad-hominem generalization about group of people not even mentioned in post.

Summation of reply, longer than actual reply.

Declaration that I must be right, as my logic is in-arguable.
Counter point to your declaration that you must be right. Also, nitpicking technical minor quibble blown out of all proportion to the original point being picked at.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL


fishman
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 28
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:05 pm
Location: Tomball area

Re: Trying something out

#1298

Post by fishman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:00 pm

oops, I lost count.
IANAL


apostate
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 57
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am

Re: Trying something out

#1299

Post by apostate » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:01 pm

sjfcontrol wrote:Mary had a little lamb
her father shot it dead.
Now she takes the lamb to school
between two slices of bread!
Mary, Mary, why ya buggin?

User avatar

sjfcontrol
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 327
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Flint, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1300

Post by sjfcontrol » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Wikipedia wrote:Arithmomania is a mental disorder that may be seen as an expression of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Sufferers from this disorder have a strong need to count their actions or objects in their surroundings.
Sufferers may for instance feel compelled to count the steps while ascending or descending a flight of stairs or to count the number of letters in words. They often feel it is necessary to perform an action a certain number of times to prevent alleged calamities. Other examples include counting tiles on the floor or ceiling, the number of lines on the highway, or simply the number of times one breathes or blinks.
Arithmomania sometimes develops into a complex system in which the sufferer assigns values or numbers to people, objects and events in order to deduce their coherence.
Counting may be done aloud or in thought.

Folklore concerning vampires often depicts them with arithmomania, such as a compulsion to count seeds or grains of rice. More lightheartedly, the muppet Count von Count from Sesame Street appears to be a fellow "sufferer".
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image


LikesShinyThings
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 132
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Kingsland, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1301

Post by LikesShinyThings » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:27 pm

sjfcontrol wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Arithmomania is a mental disorder that may be seen as an expression of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Sufferers from this disorder have a strong need to count their actions or objects in their surroundings.
Sufferers may for instance feel compelled to count the steps while ascending or descending a flight of stairs or to count the number of letters in words. They often feel it is necessary to perform an action a certain number of times to prevent alleged calamities. Other examples include counting tiles on the floor or ceiling, the number of lines on the highway, or simply the number of times one breathes or blinks.
Arithmomania sometimes develops into a complex system in which the sufferer assigns values or numbers to people, objects and events in order to deduce their coherence.
Counting may be done aloud or in thought.

Folklore concerning vampires often depicts them with arithmomania, such as a compulsion to count seeds or grains of rice. More lightheartedly, the muppet Count von Count from Sesame Street appears to be a fellow "sufferer".
Is there anything for which they don't have a "mania" or "syndrome"?
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

User avatar

sjfcontrol
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 327
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Flint, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1302

Post by sjfcontrol » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:30 pm

LikesShinyThings wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Arithmomania is a mental disorder that may be seen as an expression of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Sufferers from this disorder have a strong need to count their actions or objects in their surroundings.
Sufferers may for instance feel compelled to count the steps while ascending or descending a flight of stairs or to count the number of letters in words. They often feel it is necessary to perform an action a certain number of times to prevent alleged calamities. Other examples include counting tiles on the floor or ceiling, the number of lines on the highway, or simply the number of times one breathes or blinks.
Arithmomania sometimes develops into a complex system in which the sufferer assigns values or numbers to people, objects and events in order to deduce their coherence.
Counting may be done aloud or in thought.

Folklore concerning vampires often depicts them with arithmomania, such as a compulsion to count seeds or grains of rice. More lightheartedly, the muppet Count von Count from Sesame Street appears to be a fellow "sufferer".
Is there anything for which they don't have a "mania" or "syndrome"?
Normalcy??
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image


LikesShinyThings
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 132
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Kingsland, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1303

Post by LikesShinyThings » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:36 pm

sjfcontrol wrote:
LikesShinyThings wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Arithmomania is a mental disorder that may be seen as an expression of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Sufferers from this disorder have a strong need to count their actions or objects in their surroundings.
Sufferers may for instance feel compelled to count the steps while ascending or descending a flight of stairs or to count the number of letters in words. They often feel it is necessary to perform an action a certain number of times to prevent alleged calamities. Other examples include counting tiles on the floor or ceiling, the number of lines on the highway, or simply the number of times one breathes or blinks.
Arithmomania sometimes develops into a complex system in which the sufferer assigns values or numbers to people, objects and events in order to deduce their coherence.
Counting may be done aloud or in thought.

Folklore concerning vampires often depicts them with arithmomania, such as a compulsion to count seeds or grains of rice. More lightheartedly, the muppet Count von Count from Sesame Street appears to be a fellow "sufferer".
Is there anything for which they don't have a "mania" or "syndrome"?
Normalcy??
Oh, I'm pretty sure normalcy has to be some sort of a condition that has a label. It's too rare not to.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

User avatar

sjfcontrol
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 327
Posts: 6263
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Flint, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1304

Post by sjfcontrol » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:07 pm

LikesShinyThings wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
LikesShinyThings wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Arithmomania is a mental disorder that may be seen as an expression of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Sufferers from this disorder have a strong need to count their actions or objects in their surroundings.
Sufferers may for instance feel compelled to count the steps while ascending or descending a flight of stairs or to count the number of letters in words. They often feel it is necessary to perform an action a certain number of times to prevent alleged calamities. Other examples include counting tiles on the floor or ceiling, the number of lines on the highway, or simply the number of times one breathes or blinks.
Arithmomania sometimes develops into a complex system in which the sufferer assigns values or numbers to people, objects and events in order to deduce their coherence.
Counting may be done aloud or in thought.

Folklore concerning vampires often depicts them with arithmomania, such as a compulsion to count seeds or grains of rice. More lightheartedly, the muppet Count von Count from Sesame Street appears to be a fellow "sufferer".
Is there anything for which they don't have a "mania" or "syndrome"?
Normalcy??
Oh, I'm pretty sure normalcy has to be some sort of a condition that has a label. It's too rare not to.
"Normalphobia" -- The fear of being normal. Of course since it would be abnormal to fear being normal, only those who fear being normal could possibly be sure that they don't have it... I think... :headscratch :head scratch

It's a Zen thing...
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image


LikesShinyThings
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 132
Posts: 537
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Kingsland, TX

Re: Trying something out

#1305

Post by LikesShinyThings » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:11 pm

sjfcontrol wrote: "Normalphobia" -- The fear of being normal. Of course since it would be abnormal to fear being normal, only those who fear being normal could possibly be sure that they don't have it... I think... :headscratch :head scratch

It's a Zen thing...
but if... then... but... Ouch! My head hurts.
;-)
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”