scary situation after a car accident

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 4

scary situation after a car accident

Post by philip964 »

My personal car was rear ended slightly a few days ago on I45 on the way to work, clearly not my fault. Information was exchanged etc etc.

A few hours after I got to work my boss informed me that the companies international headquarters insurance department had called and a claim had been made about the accident, so a file had been opened and I would need to be drug tested and attend mandatory safety training.

What!!!

I had not given my place of employment at the scene only my name address and insurance company. How did this person find my place of employment I thought. Why would they call my companies corporate headquarters and file a claim, was this the beginning of a giant scam.

I found with a very quick search on the internet my whole life was visible.

This all turned out to be a practical joke by my former boss and my current boss conspiring to have fun with me, but at the time I did not know it. Later of course everyone had a big laugh.

So it caused me to look closely at my internet presence.

I thought I had been careful on the internet with personal information, but not really.

For some stupid reason I joined Linkedin. It had lots of general information including where I worked, etc. All you need to search is a name followed by linkedin and there it all is. I like many of you probably use the same username on every forum you join. Well I had used the same user name for facebook too. So facebook gave a username which then opened up a new avenue about me.

If you type a username you know and do a search it will tell you every hobby that person has, their politics, etc. etc. Plus the facebook link in my case gave them my name and all the other information on facebook you deem to be public including your picture. Search your username or names, amazing what will show up. When you go to that forum, you can then find out everything in their profile section.

This forum does not show very much information about a username, but many forums encourage you to "let everyone know who you are" thus your personal data contains lots of tidbits about your life that an criminal could use to capture your identity.

So I have gone though and edited a lot of information at forums changed usernames especially on facebook and generally made it just a little harder to put two and two together.

You may want to do the same.

mctowalot
Posts in topic: 1

Re: scary situation after a car accident

Post by mctowalot »

Question: what about internet archive searches? If you edit an old post isn't the original still stored somewhere on the web? :headscratchn

Yankee Girl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Yankee Girl »

philip964 wrote:This all turned out to be a practical joke by my former boss and my current boss conspiring to have fun with me, but at the time I did not know it. Later of course everyone had a big laugh.
Good for you that you could laugh about it ... I would have been sorely tempted to open up a can of Little Sicily on anybody who thought it amusing to mess with my life in that way. :nono:
Courage is just Fear that has said its prayers -
-- Maya Angelou

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

mctowalot wrote:Question: what about internet archive searches? If you edit an old post isn't the original still stored somewhere on the web? :headscratchn
I assume any post you make is forever there, but it is not tied to you but to your username, but if you equate your name to your username some where else, then it can be directly tied to you.

One other thing, Googles substitute for facebook (most people have never used it as it is not popular) was completely there on googles search engine for all to see, not just your friends. Every post you made on it. So if you wrote "I'm leaving for a two week vacation" everyone in the world could find out if they wanted to.

NOS

Post by NOS »

Wow, I'm going to check and see what is out there about me. I always knew you could be linked to just about everything on the internet, I just never knew you could see it all in one place! :shock: It's time to cut off my info-trail!
Thanks for the heads-up! :tiphat:
06/06/2010 Class Taken
06/17/2010 Packet Mailed
06/19/2010 Packet Received
07/07/2010 Status Online/Application Missing
07/12/2010 Mailed New Application
07/15/2010 Application Complete
08/18/2010 Fingerprints Complete
08/24/2010 Background Complete
08/27/2010 Mailed
09/01/2010 Plastic

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Only the information you, or others, post about you will be available. Disinformation can be as effective as no information.

Tru-Glow sights changed their web page after I complained about them showing a 1911 sight available, but they really didn't have one, and then they claimed they never said they had one.

For years after there were still copies of their old web page floating around the 'net, with the 1911 sights clearly listed.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mctowalot wrote:Question: what about internet archive searches? If you edit an old post isn't the original still stored somewhere on the web? :headscratchn
WAYBACK MACHINE. Search any site you like.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

philip964 wrote:A few hours after I got to work my boss informed me that the companies international headquarters insurance department had called and a claim had been made about the accident, so a file had been opened and I would need to be drug tested and attend mandatory safety training.
Take a hint from Dr House; as soon as somebody mentions drug testing, dump your coffee cup, hold it under the desk and start going through the motions.

Big bonus points if you actually do it and hand your boss a full cup. :smilelol5:

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Well in todays Wall Street journal they had a big article on my fears, resulting from the practical joke played on me, about my internet presence.

They called it "scraping". These information companies use automatic bots to scrape the 130 million forums that exist on the web. They even have programs to decipher the puzzles forum sites use to keep out bots.

People as well known as the Nielsens of TV ratings fame even do it.

A computer programmer has even developed a program that determines who you really are from your usename on a forum or forums you visit.

Apparently health forums are the worst. People with similar illnesses chat about illnesses like we do about guns. Scraping programs determine the names of unhealthy people from these forums and sell the name lists with illness the person has to health insurance companies.

Apparently its semi-legal.

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

This is scary stuff, especially when combined with how freely "todays generation" shares information on the internet. Where I work, we had a guy who was apparently inspired by some of the characters in "The Office". He had a running blog about how screwed up his work group was, how his boss was an idiot, etc. The trouble was that this was a public blog accessible from his Linked-in profile. His boss read the blog and was slightly less than pleased. Same goes for prospective employees. Kids need to realize that they should not be sharing intimate details of their lives in a public forum (Facebook, Myspace, etc., etc.). If you wouldn't tell your boss and others something face to face, then be very careful posting it on the internet, especially if it is linked directly to your name.

This is one of the biggest things that my wife and I disagree on, not that either of us is part of the younger generation. She looks at the social benefits of sharing her life on Facebook as a positive. I view it as an unnecessary risk.

Kbovine

Post by Kbovine »

I have an unlisted number, my blog is private, I'm really careful with my information, etc. but I still wonder if what I do is enough. It really is scary to think that any stuff you put out there on the 'net could be found and used. For sure, I see a lot of the younger generation is so free with their information, which will surely come back & bit 'em when they're older...

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

Can you imagine Karen Owen trying to get a job or even an interview with a family friendly company?
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Reloader

Post by Reloader »

Try this search engine: http://www.pipl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It REALLY will cause you to evaluate your presence! :banghead:
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
Amateur radio Instructor, VE KE5LDO
Tarleton State University '74

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Reloader wrote:Try this search engine: http://www.pipl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It REALLY will cause you to evaluate your presence! :banghead:
LOL. It even showed my Facebook pic.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Yankee Girl

Post by Yankee Girl »

Well, for once in my married life I'm glad to have an extremely common name. Only one of the people they "found" was really me and they have everything but my street address (and the fact that we have a pickup truck) wrong. Since the pickup is parked in the driveway, that didn't take rocket science to figure out. Wrong kids, wrong photos, wrong occupation, income level, house size and value, etc. And no, it didn't find me on Facebook, either, even though my FB page uses my real name. :lol:
Courage is just Fear that has said its prayers -
-- Maya Angelou

Return to “Off-Topic”