Myth of the Hero Gunslinger

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPB »

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... n&emc=tya1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
January 20, 2011, 9:00 pm
Article

I've found that by following Colin Goddard on Twitter, he, and his fans direct me to relevant topics http://twitter.com/clgoddard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :mrgreen:
This allows counterpoint posts to his propaganda easier than searching Google for where he leaves tracks.
Because like this one, I got there too late to comment Comments are no longer being accepted.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

68Charger

Re: Myth of the Hero Gunslinger

Post by 68Charger »

Interesting read. Thanks.
We don't need no stinking badges!

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

He claims the hero gunslinger is a myth yet describes how an armed citizen ran to the scene to help, was able to figure out who the real criminal was, and helped subdue him. I think he misses the entire point of the Hero Gunslinger ideal. He is imagining some Lone Ranger who will come riding in shooting the guns out of the hands of all the bad guys. That person has never existed.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

one of the studies referenced.
http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Rel ... on-safety/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What Penn researchers found was alarming – almost five Philadelphians were shot every day over the course of the study and about 1 of these 5 people died. The research team concluded that, although successful defensive gun uses are possible and do occur each year, the chances of success are low. People should rethink their possession of guns or, at least, understand that regular possession necessitates careful safety countermeasures, write the authors. Suggestions to the contrary, especially for urban residents who may see gun possession as a defense against a dangerous environment should be discussed and thoughtfully reconsidered.
Is it just me or does that not make much sense?
Penn researchers investigated the link between being shot in an assault and a person’s possession of a gun at the time of the shooting. As identified by police and medical examiners, they randomly selected 677 cases of Philadelphia residents who were shot in an assault from 2003 to 2006. Six percent of these cases were in possession of a gun (such as in a holster, pocket, waistband, or vehicle) when they were shot.
There must be a way they got from 6% to their conclusions. I wonder if they screened out criminals who were shot while in possession of a gun.
These shooting cases were matched to Philadelphia residents who acted as the study’s controls. To identify the controls, trained phone canvassers called random Philadelphians soon after a reported shooting and asked about their possession of a gun at the time of the shooting. These random Philadelphians had not been shot and had nothing to do with the shooting. This is the same approach that epidemiologists have historically used to establish links between such things as smoking and lung cancer or drinking and car crashes.
This part isn't helping much either. Were they taking an opinion poll? Somebody help me here.

There has got to be more to this study. The press release doesn't look to good to me.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

From 40 Reasons for Gun Control:
10. The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert advice about guns; just like Guns & Ammo has some excellent treatises on heart surgery.
In a first-of its-kind study, epidemiologists at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
http://wordnet.princeton.edu:
epidemiology - the branch of medical science dealing with the transmission and control of disease

Something just doesn't jive with this "press release".

----------------------

From the study:
The study estimated that people with a gun were 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not possessing a gun.
Penn researchers investigated the link between being shot in an assault and a person’s possession of a gun at the time of the shooting. As identified by police and medical examiners, they randomly selected 677 cases of Philadelphia residents who were shot in an assault from 2003 to 2006. Six percent of these cases were in possession of a gun (such as in a holster, pocket, waistband, or vehicle) when they were shot.
I would really like to know the percentage of those who were randomly selected had their guns in their waistband. As I understand it, placing a gun in a waistband is the action most commonly associated with bad guys. Also, as I understand it, bad guys are more likely to get in to shootings.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

MechAg94 wrote:one of the studies referenced.
http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Rel ... on-safety/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Penn researchers investigated the link between being shot in an assault and a person’s possession of a gun at the time of the shooting. As identified by police and medical examiners, they randomly selected 677 cases of Philadelphia residents who were shot in an assault from 2003 to 2006. Six percent of these gang bangers admitted being in possession of a gun (such as in a holster, pocket, waistband, or vehicle) when they were shot.
There must be a way they got from 6% to their conclusions. I wonder if they screened out criminals who were shot while in possession of a gun.

fixed it, makes way more sense.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Trinitite

Post by Trinitite »

Lying with statistics is typical for the Communists.

An honest statistical analysis would
exclude justifiable shootings of criminals by police and other good guys (acceptable to include BG on BG shooting)
exclude accidents, and compare that to other accidental causes of death (vehicles, drowning, medical misadventure)
exclude suicide, unless they want to repudiate "her body, her choice"

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Sure. There are no hero gunslingers.

[youtube][/youtube]
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “Off-Topic”