Master Masons?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
packina45
Posts in topic: 3

Master Masons?

Post by packina45 »

River Oaks, TX #1311.

Who else is here?
CHL timeline: 43 days mailbox to mailbox

thatguy
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Master Masons?

Post by thatguy »

Good morning Brothers,

Brian Mobley
Chaplin
League City Lodge #1053

Shriner--Arabia and El Mina
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

AEA
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AEA »

Whiteway Lodge #8
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.

I am no longer active.
Attachments
Temple.gif
Last edited by AEA on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just tried to find the number and address of my old lodge in Alhambra California. There used to be two of them, and mine was the second one in the state; but it doesn't appear on the official list anymore. Anyway, I was raised a master mason back around 1993-94, but I haven't attended lodge or paid dues in 15 years. I sort of lost interest in it as the church began to fill more completely what I was searching for.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Kirk
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kirk »

Brother,

Pleasant Hills Guthrie Lodge No. 509
Pleasant Hills, PA ..
KE5HLZ
NRA Life Member

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Not me, however my Dad worked his way through all of the degrees. Masonic rites were a very nice (and unexpected for me) touch at his funeral. :tiphat:
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

Medic624

Post by Medic624 »

I want to become a Mason... how do I go about it??...
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

The Mad Moderate
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Mad Moderate »

Medic624 wrote:I want to become a Mason... how do I go about it??...
:iagree: As Ross Perot says I'm all ears :bigear:
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

loadedliberal wrote:
You have already started. The first thing necessary is to ask how. The second is to find a member of a local lodge whom you know and get a petition. I am sure if you check around you can find a friend, neighbor, coworker, etc. who is a member.

They will help you from there.

:thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Medic624

Post by Medic624 »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:
You have already started. The first thing necessary is to ask how. The second is to find a member of a local lodge whom you know and get a petition. I am sure if you check around you can find a friend, neighbor, coworker, etc. who is a member.

They will help you from there.

:thumbs2:
Hmmmm.... Maybe I should make a friend and then ask them if they're a Mason... I work mostly with women ha ha... Okay I'll check around. Thx
George Washington

dixierider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dixierider »

Deer Park #1362

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

OldSchool wrote:Not me, however my Dad worked his way through all of the degrees. Masonic rites were a very nice (and unexpected for me) touch at his funeral. :tiphat:
I didn't anticipate the local lodge (Bend, OR) showing up and doing the rites for my father.

I have considered joining over the years but am absolutely convinced that I would never be able to memorize what needs to be memorized.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

AEA
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AEA »

How does a man become a Mason?

Some men are surprised that no one has ever asked them to become a Mason. They may even feel that the Masons in their town don't think they are "good enough" to join. But it doesn't work that way. For hundreds of years, Masons have been forbidden to ask others to join the fraternity. We can talk to friends about Masonry, we can tell them about what Masonry does. We can tell them why we enjoy it. But we can't ask, much less pressure anyone to join.

There's a good reason for that. It isn't that we're trying to be exclusive. But becoming a Mason is a very serious thing. Joining Masonry is making a permanent life commitment to live in certain ways. To live with honor and integrity, to be willing to share and care about others, to trust each other, and to place ultimate trust in God. No one should be "talked into" making such a decision.

So, when a man decides he wants to be a Mason, he asks a Mason for a petition or application. He fills it out and gives it to the Mason, and that Mason takes it to the local lodge. The Master of the lodge will appoint a committee to visit with the man and his family, find out a little about him and why he wants to be a Mason, tell him and his family about Masonry, and answer their questions. The committee reports to the lodge, and the lodge votes on the petition. If the vote is affirmative -- and it usually is -- the lodge will contact the man to set the date for the Entered Apprentice Degree. When the person has completed all three degrees, he is a Master Mason and a full member of the fraternity.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

thatguy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by thatguy »

AEA wrote:
How does a man become a Mason?

Some men are surprised that no one has ever asked them to become a Mason. They may even feel that the Masons in their town don't think they are "good enough" to join. But it doesn't work that way. For hundreds of years, Masons have been forbidden to ask others to join the fraternity. We can talk to friends about Masonry, we can tell them about what Masonry does. We can tell them why we enjoy it. But we can't ask, much less pressure anyone to join.

There's a good reason for that. It isn't that we're trying to be exclusive. But becoming a Mason is a very serious thing. Joining Masonry is making a permanent life commitment to live in certain ways. To live with honor and integrity, to be willing to share and care about others, to trust each other, and to place ultimate trust in God. No one should be "talked into" making such a decision.

So, when a man decides he wants to be a Mason, he asks a Mason for a petition or application. He fills it out and gives it to the Mason, and that Mason takes it to the local lodge. The Master of the lodge will appoint a committee to visit with the man and his family, find out a little about him and why he wants to be a Mason, tell him and his family about Masonry, and answer their questions. The committee reports to the lodge, and the lodge votes on the petition. If the vote is affirmative -- and it usually is -- the lodge will contact the man to set the date for the Entered Apprentice Degree. When the person has completed all three degrees, he is a Master Mason and a full member of the fraternity.
Very well said AEA. My only regret is that I did not ask to join sooner.

luck prefers the prepared mind...
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Medic624

Post by Medic624 »

AEA wrote:
To live with honor and integrity, to be willing to share and care about others, to trust each other, and to place ultimate trust in God.
Well, I did my best to have already done that these last 43 years and I'd sure like to know more about others who do also.

Seriously, I'm going to have to find the local lodge and maybe catch someone coming out and talk to them about it because since moving here in March I really don't know many people. :lol::

Maybe I will get "Freemasons for Dummies" by Christopher Hodap and see what's what.... :thumbs2:

Thanks for the info it was helpful...
:patriot: :txflag: :patriot:
George Washington

Return to “Off-Topic”