My life in the Police Academy

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
paulhailes
Posts in topic: 15

Re: My life in the Police Academy

Post by paulhailes »

AndyC wrote:Did you find the various laws tough to absorb and retain? I've always been curious how well policemen have to know the law.
Sorry it took so long to get back, no not really, you need to have a working knowledge of the laws but theres nothing that says if you get stumped you can't look up the answer.

I finished our week at the range today, I am pretty happy with how I did. Our qualification course was 60 rounds shot at 2, 4, 7, 15, and 25 yards. We shot kneeling at 15 and prone at 15 on top of standing, we also had to shoot some rounds at 7 yards off hand. We had to run from the 2 to the 25 back to the 0 then 25 and back to the 7 and then fire 1 round with an empty mag, do a mag change and shoot 11 rounds :thumbs2:. The 2 yards was draw and shoot, and the 4 yards was shoot from low ready. All of our shots were timed with turning targets. I got all 60 of my rounds on target, but only 55 were in the scored area. The target was a picture of a man with a revolver, there was a faint bowling pin shaped outline in the center of the target. For a hit to me on target it had to hit the man, for it to count it had to hit inside the pin, similar to the one here http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=QTC-90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The range was a lot of fun, even though our chief was pretty strict on how clean or weapons had to be every morning. Next week is driving which I heard from the other group was pretty tough so we shall see. Anyway the Academy is going good, I am .1 away from top of the class :grumble and can't complain to much other than that.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Whoa! I take it back. I don't want my mullet back.

Very good Mr. Hailes. Very good. How much longer is the program?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

C-dub wrote:Whoa! I take it back. I don't want my mullet back.

Very good Mr. Hailes. Very good. How much longer is the program?
Graduation is March 30th

Topic author
paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

So we did OC Certification yesterday... um.... yah... It was probably the most horrible thing I have felt to this day. Our Chief has videos of us all running through the course so if y'all are lucky I will post mine when he gives it to us. A hint to anyone that has the misfortune of having to go through it, if any gets in your mouth or nose, do not swallow, I repeat do not swallow. One of the many lovely effects of OC besides not being able to see and the pain is it makes you feel like you can't breath.

We are on the last leg of the academy, we take the TCLEOSE of the 28th and our graduation is on the 30th so its getting close. I can say I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the academy but I can't wait to be out and get a job.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gigag04 »

Driving was my favorite part. Years later it remains the best part of annual in service training.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

paulhailes wrote:They read us this creed in class this past week I thought it was interesting, I had never heard it before.

If today is to be THE DAY, so be it. If you seek to do battle with me this day you will receive the best that I am capable of giving.
It may not be enough, but it will be everything that I have to give and it will be impressive for I have constantly prepared myself for this day. I have trained, drilled, and rehearsed my actions so that I might have the best chance of defeating you.
I have kept myself in peak physical condition, schooled myself in the martial skills and have become proficient in the application of combat tactics. You may defeat me, but you will pay a severe price and will be lucky to escape with your life.
You may kill me, but I am willing to die if necessary. I do not fear Death, for I have been close enough to it on enough occasions that it no longer concerns me.
But I do fear the loss of my Honor and would rather die fighting than to have it said that I was without Courage.
So I WILL FIGHT YOU, no matter how insurmountable it may seem, and to the death if need be, in order that it may never be said of me that I was not a Warrior.

What a shame. I think a lot of officers would do better with the one below ( I know the public will):

http://www.laredoisd.org/departments/po ... ecreed.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Police Officer’s Creed

As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard
lives and property, to protect the innocent against deception, the ‐weak against
oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect
the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality, and justice.

I‐will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all, maintain courageous calm in
the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self‐restraint; and be constantly mindful
of the welfare of others.

Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official
life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my
department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in
my official capacity ‐will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the
performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or
friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless
prosecution of criminals, I‐will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without
fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never
accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public
trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly
strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself to my chosen
profession... law enforcement.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor….and pray that you immediately dump about ½ the “gung ho” they instill in you before your first time out on the street.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

flintknapper wrote:What a shame. I think a lot of officers would do better with the one below ( I know the public will):

http://www.laredoisd.org/departments/po ... ecreed.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Police Officer’s Creed

As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard
lives and property, to protect the innocent against deception, the ‐weak against
oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect
the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality, and justice.

I‐will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all, maintain courageous calm in
the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self‐restraint; and be constantly mindful
of the welfare of others.

Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official
life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my
department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in
my official capacity ‐will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the
performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or
friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless
prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without
fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never
accepting gratuities nor will I tolerate this behavior from any other peace officer.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public
trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly
strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself to my chosen
profession... law enforcement.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor….and pray that you immediately dump about ½ the “gung ho” they instill in you before your first time out on the street.
:iagree: I added another line.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

I took my final on Thursday... I'm graduating salutatorian, .1 away from valedictorian but I can't complain.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

paulhailes wrote:I took my final on Thursday... I'm graduating salutatorian, .1 away from valedictorian but I can't complain.
Congratulations Paul! Stay safe. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

paulhailes wrote:I took my final on Thursday... I'm graduating salutatorian, .1 away from valedictorian but I can't complain.
Very nice, almost Officer Hailes. Good luck finding a job. I hope it is in or near a town you want.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Congrats! Where will you be looking for a job?
TANSTAAFL

A-R

Post by A-R »

Wow, way to go!

:clapping:

Topic author
paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

74novaman wrote:
Congrats! Where will you be looking for a job?
I'm looking at Georgetown or Round Rock, I have applications in with both of those agencies and I test with Georgetown next Saturday.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gigag04 »

Dude me too except it was .03 of a point. And he's a good friend now so I have I hear about it all the time.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Good luck with your job search.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

Return to “Off-Topic”