2012 weight loss group

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

2012 weight loss group

Post by 74novaman »

We had one last year, thought we should do it again.

What is your goal for this year? (if you're not comfortable giving out numbers, chime in and keep it general)
How do you plan on meeting your goals?

For me...I lost 30 lbs last year. I want to lose another 30 this year, which would take me from 260 in 2010 to 200 by the end of 2012.

Last year was mainly about eating better. This year I'm going to work out a lot more. Cardio through running, and once the resolutioners give up in feb, start lifting again at a gym.

So what's your goals?
TANSTAAFL

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 2012 weight loss group

Post by clarionite »

My wife and I are working on it this year too. I gave it a half hearted attempt in 2011. Lost about 25 lbs. My goal is another 80 - 90. I hope to loose at least 40 of that this year. 60 would be better.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

60 lbs (5 per month)
Walk 2.5 miles at least 3 times a week in my hilly neighborhood.
Reduce carbohydrates by drastically reducing refined sugars and white flour products while increasing fruits and vegetables in my diet.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

mojo84 wrote:60 lbs (5 per month)
Walk 2.5 miles at least 3 times a week in my hilly neighborhood.
Reduce carbohydrates by drastically reducing refined sugars and white flour products while increasing fruits and vegetables in my diet.
We eat pretty healthy already, not for the weight issues but because we like it. Lots of salads, grilled chicken, tons of fruits and veggies. We don't eat much bread (Although I love it) and when we do it's usually whole grain. Not many pastas, but we do eat plain white rice 2-3 times a week (my wife is Hispanic, any less than that and she'd revolt <G>) We need to add more fish to our diet though.

My plan includes eating more... For years I've eaten at most 2 meals a day, most days 1. I've started eating breakfast when I remember to. This alone has been the reason for my weight loss last year. We've joined the Gym, and went for a little bit before the holidays. But with two teens who are in sports and band, our schedule made it hard to get to the gym often. Now that marching season and football are over, we have a little more time. Now to get motivated to spend a couple hours at the gym 3-4 times a week.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Yep. I need to make sure and consistently eat a healthy breakfast also.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dave2 »

Last year I managed to lose a little weight, but my biggest achievement was not gaining back all the weight I lost in 2010. Hopefully in 2012 I'll continue the downward trend that kinda stalled last year.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

texanron

Post by texanron »

Last year was a FAIL for me in the weight management department. So once again I'm back on that wagon again this year. I could stand to lose 50-60 lbs. I plan to accomplish this by spending less time on the couch and really watching what and how much I eat.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Kirk

Post by Kirk »

I'll jump in this year and will attempt to work out daily.
Goals
36 waist > 34/33
210 lbs > 180
KE5HLZ
NRA Life Member

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

I'm actually watching my food intake for the first time in my life starting today.

I downloaded an app that a friend of mine recommended MyFitnessPal (app for iPhone/iPad). It's a calorie tracker. It will scan bar codes, and has restaurant menus in it as well to help in tracking input. It also tracks exercise, etc.
It also develops your intake targets based on weight loss goals, your life style, age, and gender.

I'm 41. 6'0" and 190 lbs. I have been 175-180 for the last 15 years, but gained 10-15 in 2011, so I'm going to head this off at the pass and stop eating like I want. Dang metabolism finally slowing down!!

I'm trying to get back to 175 lbs with a target loss of .5 lbs / week. That means 2010 calories/day with no exercise. (goes up with exercise)
I ate 1976 today, and yes, I'm a little hungry as I type this. This is going to be difficult!

I'm in generally good shape, but need more cardio and calorie burning. I do 200-300 pushups every 2 to 3 nights, but no other regular exercise, so that has got to change too!

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

I'm in... put on 10 lbs in 12 days. Great family time, but you all know how it goes. Had huge success with the slow/low carb diet in the past (not as strict as the paleo-diet, but close and can recommend several good resources). Only problem is I wasn't strict about the grains and sugar over the holidays. I highly recommend it in tandem with moderate exercise (read: not hard core) and and want to drop 15 in 45 days -- truly do-able goal for any fitness level. 160 to 145 lbs... my "fighting weight." Too much activity can actually force the body into belly fat storage mode.

Feel free to PM me with specifics, but it's easy to follow and highly successful. Not so much the calories as the effects foods have on non-diabetic insuline spikes and bodily storage. Fat and cholestoral eaten are only a fraction of what the body naturally produces in response to certain foods. Protein satisfies the cravings for longer; skip the toast and, although conter-intuituve, go for eggs and meats for breakfast. Let's you eat unil content and still shed the pounds fast. Bunch of friends also had huge loses. Lots of new, legit research for weight, immunodeficiency, colon, and heart disease and how this diet (life style change) is perfect.

Happy new year to all; may it be filled with nothing but health, happiness, and prosperity! (And separately some real progress on our political minefield.)

Besides, doesn't everyone want to be able to carry IWB more comfortably?

Mr. and Mrs. Hpcatx
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

I'm in.....

Left the military Jan 2010 at 5'6 and 160 lbs...solid and lean muscle.

Today I weighed myself and I'm at 173 lbs. The extra weight is carried in my face and a little layer over what was a 6 pack two years ago.

School has a gym for weights, and I have a GSP that loves his 3 mile daily runs that I've been slacking on the last year or so...Basically just need to manage homework and work a little better.
No More Signature

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

snatchel wrote:Left the military Jan 2010 at 5'6 and 160 lbs...solid and lean muscle. Today I weighed myself and I'm at 173...
I'm nearly in the same boat weight-wise... it's surprising how such a small amount of weigh really affects how you feel overall.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

FL450

Post by FL450 »

Last year started out at 200 and wanted to lose 30 and be able to fit a IWB Mag holster in with my Supertuck. Well I lost 20 so I am still going for that 10 pounds. The Weight Watchers diet has worked well for my wife and I when we follow it.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Will lose and maintain another 20-30lbs before my daughters wedding in June. No "trying" just a lot of "doing". :txflag:
NRA Life Member

hi-power
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hi-power »

I'm in!

I decided to try WeightWatchers Online for Men after seeing the results the regular program had on several members of our local P.D. last year, including the chief.

I joined in early December 2011 and have lost 9 lbs. already which is close to the 0.5 to 2 lbs. a week WW guideline. Have a long way to go but glad I finally started.

Return to “Off-Topic”