Numismatics aka Coin collecting

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bob in Big D
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Numismatics aka Coin collecting

Post by Bob in Big D »

talltex wrote:If you think you have any "high grade" coins, and hope to sell them on a mass market venue (such as Ebay or other online sources), the only way to get top dollar for them is to have them graded and slabbed by one of the TOP grading services such as NGC, PGS, PCGS. Just putting it in a 2x2 cellophane holder and writing AU40 on it won't work. Knowledgable collectors will want to put their own eyes on it unless it's been slabbed. In recent years, there have been instances of counterfeiting almost every coin out there that has substantial value. In the last few years, there have been numerous Chinese knockoffs of US silver dollars and even the current era American Silver Eagles. There have also been counterfeited slabbed coins on the market. The top grading services are all use holographic imaging and special inks on their slabbed labeling to try and protect against it.
+1 never a attempt to clean them as that diminish any numismatic value.
Gun Control Means Using Two Hands!

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

I bought some silver dollars from my late uncle's estate. They had been mounted in sterling silver rings with a sterling silver key chain and were NIB. The silver dollars looked "pretty". I took them into a coin store to see how I had done in the auction pricewise. The coin store is on I 10 near Silber in Houston. They seem very reasonable on their mark ups. I've never sold anything there.

Anyway the silver coins had been polished with a buffer wheel and then clear lacquer painted per the coin salesperson. All value outside of the base metal had been completely removed by the treatment. "Pretty isn't valuable".

The price on the box the key chains came in said 5 dollars. Back then I think I paid 10 dollars. He said I probably could get 30 dollars on ebay. He said "they will buy anything on ebay".

So yeah, no polishing or dipping the pennies in vinegar.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

I'm resurrecting this 10y old thread. The Dead Don't Die. Another Bill Murray zombie movie that is also funny like Zombieland.

Anyway, something caught my eye today about apps that can help identify the value of coins and I have a fairly large number of coins left to me by my Grandpa. AFAIK, this collection has never been appraised and I've had it for a little over 20 years now. I've always been wary of letting anyone appraise it because I don't have a complete inventory of the collection.

Ten years in the future now, I'm wondering if any of y'all have used any coin apps to help with this and which ones you like.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Chemist45 »

I have to disagree. "The Dead Don't Die" was tedious and not funny.
It was just boring and stupid.

But, best of luck with the coin collection!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I’m told any penny before 1982 are worth at least 3 cents in copper value. Afterwards they are zinc with a copper coating.
2.7 cents per the internet today.

Some day the zinc will be worth more than a penny.

I looked at my penny collection from when I was a kid while back. My WW2 galvanized steel cents are now rusting. I guess Texas humidity was just too much. Never stored in the attic never got wet.

Sorry I didn’t hoard silver in the mid 60’s when the coins changed from silver or bought kugarrands when they were $70.

Of course I also remember in 1987 in Houston when you could buy as many foreclosures you wanted for $35k. Or Vegas and Phoenix forclosures in 2009 for a song. Could have should have.
Last edited by philip964 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobby131313

Post by bobby131313 »

something caught my eye today about apps that can help identify the value of coins
Horrible: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/top ... _ID=435045
Last edited by bobby131313 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Since I’ve had them they been in one of my safes inside a couple of those heavy duty tool briefcases IBM guys used to use. My dad probably got them for him since he was one of those IBM hardware guys in the early 70’s before switching to software and programming. I haven’t had them out for several years and hope they are okay. Many are inside plastic bags or those single think plastic coin things. Some are not.

I’ll be pulling them out soon to begin cataloging them. I was hoping some around her has used some sort of app like Coinoscope or Coin Snap and could offer their opinion.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

That’s one problem I was worried about.

Thanks

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

After doing a little bit of searching this morning I’d appreciate some input on an app named PCGS CoinFacts if anyone is familiar with this app.

bobby131313

Post by bobby131313 »

It's a good app, but I don't think it scans coins. I could be wrong though.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

bobby131313 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:25 am It's a good app, but I don't think it scans coins. I could be wrong though.
I don’t think it does either and may require more work on my end. However, if the accuracy is better that will be worth it. I don’t think there are any really old non-US coins. That might be easier. Plus, I get to build another spreadsheet.

Return to “Off-Topic”