Smoking a brisket...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

strider67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:18 am
Location: Weatherford, Tx

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#16

Post by strider67 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:27 pm

I always sear mine first on high heat for about 45 mins to an hour unwrapped.
Then wrap in heavy foil and slow-cook from 200-225, just like you're supposed to, for proper time depending on size.

My secret ingredient is lots of paprika. I mix it 1:1 with McCormick steak seasoning and coat it heavily on both sides. I'm pretty sure you could win awards with this recipe.

Be sure and cook it fat-side-up. The very first one I did, not being told so, I didn't. Needless to say, my big chocolate lab "Bear" couldn't even chew it up! :smilelol5:

Enjoy! :cheers2:
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales


brentski
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 11:43 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#17

Post by brentski » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:03 am

Cooking is like shooting, everyone has a better idea. We season with what we like to eat and use twice the amount to account for extended cooking times. Cook until internal temperature is 195 degrees, pull meat and put in foil pan to sit in the oven or cooler for about an hour. If you go over 205 degrees you probably have overcooked it a little. We never buy the trimmed briskets, not enough fat to add flavor and moisture to the meat. Good luck and welcome to a lifetime of fun!

Image


jayinsat
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#18

Post by jayinsat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:44 am

brentski wrote:Cooking is like shooting, everyone has a better idea. We season with what we like to eat and use twice the amount to account for extended cooking times. Cook until internal temperature is 195 degrees, pull meat and put in foil pan to sit in the oven or cooler for about an hour. If you go over 205 degrees you probably have overcooked it a little. We never buy the trimmed briskets, not enough fat to add flavor and moisture to the meat. Good luck and welcome to a lifetime of fun!

[ Image ]
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12


MeMelYup
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1874
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#19

Post by MeMelYup » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:40 am

The title is misleading. It sounded like you were going to roll it, light it and take a few puffs. Possibly inhale some of the aroma.

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7968
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#20

Post by RoyGBiv » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:42 am

ktulu61 wrote:Got my first smoker for Father's Day this past weekend. :anamatedbanana Needless to say I'm pretty stoked to get it fired up! Going to try my first crack at a brisket this weekend. So...

anyone have any good recipes/tips?
Would be good to know what kind of smoker you have.
Techniques and tips will vary based on your exact method of providing heat and smoke.

Did your family love you lavishly and buy you a Traeger or BGE, or was it a more modest, old-school kind of love exemplified by an offset cast iron smoker, or perhaps an electric box smoker? All are good choices, with different techniques. I started with a basic chimney charcoal smoker but currently have an electric box next to my gas grill on the deck.

Also.... does your family like spicy rubs? savory herbs? Beef, chicken, pork, fish?

There's LOTS to experiment with... Enjoy.!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

baldeagle
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5240
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 8:26 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#21

Post by baldeagle » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:45 am

RottenApple wrote:
WildBill wrote:Have you ever tried beef that has already been "corned"?
Yes. And, to be honest, I (and my family) prefer mine over commercially made corned beef. The one thing I don't do is add the artisan salt to give it that pink coloring. Most commercially made corned beef uses artificially colored calls instead of true artisan pink salt (which can be on the expensive side).

Btw, I made my first corned beef for the last DFW TexasCHLforum Get Together at Elm Fork. It was hot smoked instead of cold, but that's because I was too afraid to try a cold smoke method and introduce it to a bunch of armed folks. No telling what they might have done to me if it turned out bad. :biggrinjester:
And it was beyond delicious.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

User avatar

longhorn86
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:49 pm
Location: Schertz, TX

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#22

Post by longhorn86 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 am

I have cooked in a handful of competitions. I have found one of the best things you can do to help keep your level of heat constant, is to burn your wood down to coals in a seperate box, if available, then shovel the coals into your firebox. Not only will your fire be more consistent, you can avoid getting too much smoke flavor in your brisket. :drool:
NRA Life Member

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 25217
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#23

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:56 am

MeMelYup wrote:The title is misleading. It sounded like you were going to roll it, light it and take a few puffs. Possibly inhale some of the aroma.
I must a little twisted too. That was the first thing I thought of. :smilelol5:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

fickman
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:52 pm
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#24

Post by fickman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:15 am

longhorn86 wrote:I have cooked in a handful of competitions. I have found one of the best things you can do to help keep your level of heat constant, is to burn your wood down to coals in a seperate box, if available, then shovel the coals into your firebox. Not only will your fire be more consistent, you can avoid getting too much smoke flavor in your brisket. :drool:
I preheat my logs before I put them on the fire by resting them on top of the fire box. Then, when I add them to the fire, they are instantly engulfed and skip the smoldering period.

To OP: remember, you want an invisible to blue smoke, NOT white smoke. Prolonged exposure to white smoke can make the meat bitter.

Secondly, brisket only absorbs smoke flavor through about 150 degrees. After that, you're just trying to get the temperature right.

As far as which side to put down, you might as well ask two old timers how to choose the best watermelon. I go fat side up.

For the finish out, the first time you're likely to pull it too early. It won't harm it if you push it up to 195-200, but once it hits 205 it'll start to lose its composition.

Use the flat for sliced beef and the point for chopped beef)

When I do a 12-18 hour cook, I also usually throw something on for earlier meals. . . either some chicken or brats that will be done sooner.

Enjoy!
Native Texian

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7391
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#25

Post by anygunanywhere » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:24 am

fickman wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:I have cooked in a handful of competitions. I have found one of the best things you can do to help keep your level of heat constant, is to burn your wood down to coals in a seperate box, if available, then shovel the coals into your firebox. Not only will your fire be more consistent, you can avoid getting too much smoke flavor in your brisket. :drool:
I preheat my logs before I put them on the fire by resting them on top of the fire box. Then, when I add them to the fire, they are instantly engulfed and skip the smoldering period.

To OP: remember, you want an invisible to blue smoke, NOT white smoke. Prolonged exposure to white smoke can make the meat bitter.

Secondly, brisket only absorbs smoke flavor through about 150 degrees. After that, you're just trying to get the temperature right.

As far as which side to put down, you might as well ask two old timers how to choose the best watermelon. I go fat side up.

For the finish out, the first time you're likely to pull it too early. It won't harm it if you push it up to 195-200, but once it hits 205 it'll start to lose its composition.

Use the flat for sliced beef and the point for chopped beef)

When I do a 12-18 hour cook, I also usually throw something on for earlier meals. . . either some chicken or brats that will be done sooner.

Enjoy!
Can I get your autograph? Take my picture with you? Can I be your groupie?

Anygunanywhere
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#26

Post by rotor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:56 am

My wife smokes wonderful briskets and all of the receipes here are good. Suggestion, get one of those propane bars that you put in the firebox to light the wood, just like those fireplace starters. Saves a tremendous amount of time. Once the wood is going we remove the starter. 20# propane tank has lasted me more than 5 years. Second, try to use a fruit wood or pecan and dampen the wood. Many people go with mesquite but the flavor of a fruit or nut wood I believe is better. We use apple, cherry, or pecan and have tons of it ( especially since we had a beaver attack that destroyed almost all of my fruit trees). As for the rest, I just start the wood and the better half cooks the food. Always great with a smoker. Keep a hose close to the thing just in case.

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7968
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#27

Post by RoyGBiv » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:22 am

Have you ever taken the leftover brisket, sliced it, and put it in the fridge.... Then brought it out the next day to eat leftovers... and taken a good look at how much meat you're eating vs. fat?

if you love brisket (and I DO love a well-made brisket), do yourself a favor and don't look at the refrigerated leftovers.
Have someone else reheat them for you. :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek


Redneck_Buddha
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: Little Elm, TX

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#28

Post by Redneck_Buddha » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:34 am

RoyGBiv wrote:Have you ever taken the leftover brisket, sliced it, and put it in the fridge.... Then brought it out the next day to eat leftovers... and taken a good look at how much meat you're eating vs. fat?

if you love brisket (and I DO love a well-made brisket), do yourself a favor and don't look at the refrigerated leftovers.
Have someone else reheat them for you. :mrgreen:
Nothing like biting into a chunk of solid, cold, smoky beef fat. Yum!


jayinsat
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#29

Post by jayinsat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Redneck_Buddha wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Have you ever taken the leftover brisket, sliced it, and put it in the fridge.... Then brought it out the next day to eat leftovers... and taken a good look at how much meat you're eating vs. fat?

if you love brisket (and I DO love a well-made brisket), do yourself a favor and don't look at the refrigerated leftovers.
Have someone else reheat them for you. :mrgreen:
Nothing like biting into a chunk of solid, cold, smoky beef fat. Yum!
:iagree:
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12


CainA
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:25 pm
Location: Houston-Spring

Re: Smoking a brisket...

#30

Post by CainA » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Make burnt ends with the point. mmmmm, meat candy.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”