How Did Today Go ?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
chuck j
Posts in topic: 6

How Did Today Go ?

Post by chuck j » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:25 pm

I had a pretty good day , nothing really bad happened , LOL . I work 6 days a week , we were fairly busy wich made the time go faster . My 14 year old daughter has been at church camp for a week but came home this evening renewed and good to go . Made me feel good . Just had a pork steak with a baked potato (everything on the potato) and looking at the forum . What say you ?
Last edited by chuck j on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How Did Today Go ?

Post by K.Mooneyham » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:29 pm

chuck j wrote:I had a pretty good day , nothing really bad happened , LOL . I work 6 days a week , we were fairly busy wich made the time go faster . My 14 year old daughter has been at church camp for a week but came home this evening renewed and good to go . Made me feel good . Just had a pork steak with a baked potato (everything on the potato) and looking at the forum , not really too wild tonight . What say you ?
The wife and I took to my son, who is up at Shepard AFB in Wichita Falls for his technical training, his truck and some other odds and ends. Hopefully he'll get driving privileges this coming week and come down for a visit this coming weekend.

Teamless
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Teamless » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:34 pm

bought my first 1911 (Taurus PT1911)
Going to range tomorrow to shoot it.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:36 pm

Dang K.Mooneyham I live in Wichita Falls , I would have liked to meet you . If you come back up here let me know . Blessings for you son .

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:38 pm

You will enjoy the 1911 , ammo is a bit high though . Wood grips ?

Teamless

Post by Teamless » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:45 pm

chuck j wrote:ammo is a bit high though . Wood grips ?
I have enough ammo, no worries there, and I don't plan on shooting hundreds of rounds at a time,

rubber/plastic grips
http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... ory=pistol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
League City, TX

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Could you give a discription of the gun ? Been thinking of a 1911 9 mm myself .

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:54 pm

We're trying to establish civilization in our new home. What an ordeal!

The movers unloaded ~21000 lbs of stuff the other day and we've been unpacking and putting and cleaning etc in between trips to HD and L's for supplies. We fall into bed exhausted every night late.

I'm watching grass grow, day by day. I haven't mowed a lawn in ~30 years. I'm in the market for a riding lawn mower that will handle about 2 acres, with some rock.

We saw some deer in the yard last night and today, a novelty for us city slickers.

I hope to never move again.

Sure is hot!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:16 pm

LOL , may as well get usta that .

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Today was about typical for the way that things have been going. If variety is the spice of life, I have enough spice to share.

- I raced model sailboats on White Rock Lake this morning. The wind was well above the upper limit for what this class of boat should be sailing in so it turned out to be a survival of the fittest contest. Anyone who had a marginal part today broke it. My boat was setup for lighter winds but I survived, though I didn't win any of the 6 races

- I was going to continue digging the foundation for the 9x11 green house that I'm moving but it was just too hot this afternoon. I have a canopy up over the dig site but even with that and a good stiff breeze, my shirt was wet after just moving a few shovels of dirt. I have another 6 inches to dig around the perimeter to accept the timbers and then the whole center has to be scraped out to make room for the gravel floor. The good thing about being retired is that the task can wait until next week. Hopefully, I can find an very early morning slot.

- our son is getting re-married next weekend and his future bride sold her house with closing at the end of next week - the day before the wedding. The two of them are about to go out of their minds so we end up filling the gaps. Our 10 year old granddaughter came to stay with us this afternoon and over night so that they can finish packing our future DIL's furniture. The movers are coming Monday. We were mapping out the other things that we have to help with every day next week. It is quite a list.

- my wife and I are playing our musical instruments in both church services tomorrow. We both tried to find time to squeeze one last practice session in for our respective parts. The piece is a fugue based on a hymn from the 1600s and each of the quintet members has to be secure in their part so that all the parts fit together and we all arrive at the end of the piece together. :biggrinjester: It is isn't as easy as it sounds.

- I saw JALLEN's post about needing a mower for two acres. I mowed 1.25 acres here after dinner. Unfortunately, our land has a lot of trees and other obstacles. This is the second mowing this week because of all of the rain. I have a 60" deck Snapper zero turn but if I were going to change it, I would buy a Grasshopper. I repair the mowers that our church uses and we had a donated Grasshopper for a while. Those things are just about bullet proof.

- I got a call from our daughter. She wants me to take her to the range and let her shoot several of my pistols. She got her CHL using one of her officer's .40 Glock (she is a police dispatcher) but she is interested in my Sig 9mm. We were trying to come up with a day to do that but she is in her brother's wedding and between us, we cannot make the calendar work. She has off 9 days in a row. It is a shame when your schedule is so busy that you cannot find range time. I'm anxious to see if she can handle my LCP.

There is no grass growing under my feet but I won't trade any of it.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:03 am

Not bad. I'm visiting a friend in Austin, and this morning we had breakfast then I headed out to the Best of the West range to sight in about 9 rifles and get some practice in. Friend joined me later and we did some fun shooting together, including pinging little steel targets at 250yds with my new Savage MKII TRR-SR .22LR :biggrinjester: (I was holding about 6' over).

Then he took me to Saltgrass and bought me a ribeye since I graciously allowed him to shoot up some of my ammo. Then we went to a friend's house and watched TV/played board games/chatted until the wee hours. I'm about to hit the sack here in a little bit. Oh, I also took a puff on a cigar, first time smoking anything.

No desire to do that again Image

Busiest day I've had for a while.

Now back to reality and trying to decide whether I want to return to Afghanistan or not :banghead:
"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God" - Benjamin Franklin

filmtex
Location: Southwest of Austin generally, Southeast of Dallas occasionally, Israel annually.

Post by filmtex » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:18 am

Our married daughter has been in town these past two weeks for our sons graduation (then it was off to USN boot camp for him) and so yesterday was her last day here. :-( We went out to breakfast and then down to the Pearl for Farmers Market then over to our favorite LGS for another magazine for the wife's Beretta Neos. I'm up very early this morning, Sunday, to take her to Austin for her flight back to Kommiefornia. We were going to take her to the range one last time before her return but it was just too dang hot- 99 degrees at 5:30 and she really couldn't see the fun in it. I can't understand that-lol! Off to IDPA match after I return from Austin airport. Gonna be a long day I guess…glad I'm not moving.
"Come and take it."

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Teamless

Post by Teamless » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:20 am

chuck j wrote:Could you give a discription of the gun ? Been thinking of a 1911 9 mm myself
The one I got was a .45, but other than that, I would think the 9mm PT1911 would be very similar to the .45 PT1911.

There are various threads on this forum on 1911's, (even one I started LOL)

Description, http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... ory=pistol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically
5inch barrel, as this is really for the range.
If I decide I want to carry, I still can, or I can get a 4inch, or smaller 1911
45 caliber
standard 3 dot sights (some of the ones I looked at just had the bare metal sights, but black rear and front sights, makes it very difficult to find the front site for me, so that helped narrow down the type I would get)

From discussions on this forum, and from talking to various people, many gave the Taurus thumbs up, so I paid $519 + tax, when I could have paid double that for basically the same weapon. So I figured why pay more than I needed to?
League City, TX

Topic author
chuck j

Post by chuck j » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:01 am

Sounds like you did well , I was thinking about a 9 mm . I'm sure you will enjoy the new gun .

RoadRunnerTR21

Post by RoadRunnerTR21 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:07 am

Yesterday morning I shot 81 (38/43) and had 31 putts on the golf course. Came back, ate lunch, sharpened the blades on my zero turn mower (3 blades with a 50" cutting deck), mow most of the yard. watched golf, Nascar and NHRA. That was it!

Return to “Off-Topic”