FAA Medical Exam - Thinking of getting my PPL

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
daniel2002p
Posts in topic: 2

FAA Medical Exam - Thinking of getting my PPL

Post by daniel2002p »

I hope some of you may have some info here for me... about six years ago I started my training for a private pilot license and accumulated just short of 32 hours in a 172 toward the requirement when the prices to rent a plane and gas went sky high and I basically had to stop due to college and general life bills. Now that my school loan is within 8 months of being paid off I am still dreaming of one day getting my PPL and then add an instrument, multi engine and turbine rating.

My biggest thing now is that my eye sight is pretty bad without glasses or contacts, and I remember back when I got my first exam I had to take my glasses off and read the chart... although back then that was no problem at all but now that would be nearly impossible. I would have to be very close to the chart to read it.

My question is for those that have some sort of license is how good does my eye sight have to be since I am thinking that I pretty much have low chance of passing the exam. I am going to be doing some googling see what I can find but figured I would ask the peeps here as well.

--Daniel
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
1)Treat firearms as if they are loaded. 2)Point the muzzle away from non-targets.
3)Keep fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot. 4)Be sure of your target and backstop.

DocV

Re: FAA Medical Exam - Thinking of getting my PPL

Post by DocV »

Don't worry about it. As far as I can recall, you need at least corrected to 20-20 in both eyes for commercial, and 20-40 with or without correction for private.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/hea ... standards/

Distant and near vision 20/40 in each eye, corrected or uncorrected for third class medical, pretty easy. Color vision necessary for safe performance.

Be careful. When I got my pilot's license, I could see everything I looked at, 20/10 or better. I had passed the Navy physical to fly jets, although I ended up going to Surface OCS and not to flight school. As I aged, my vision became worse and worse and pretty soon I need "turbo charged" sunglasses with the little reading window, and ultimately bi-focals. I could not read the instrument panel without correction. This made me nervous because if turbulence or violent maneuvering causes you to lose the glasses, you might be in a mess. I had to quit flying for other medical issues, pulmonary fibrosis chief among them, but being unable to see adequately made flying less pleasant than usual.

Flying is a non-trivial activity. Incapacity in some respect, training, experience, not paying attention, etc., will get you killed.

PP SEL/MEL Instrument, ~1700 hours.

Why not get an eye exam and find out exactly where you are?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

You may already know this, so I'll be brief: The worst your vision is, the better candidate for laser eye surgery you are.

I use to call my wife Mrs. McGoo as she was darn near legally blind without her coke bottle lens glasses. Now, after laser eye surgery she has excellent vision.

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

Look at the requirements for Sport Pilot. I do not believe there is a medical component.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

i8godzilla wrote:Look at the requirements for Sport Pilot. I do not believe there is a medical component.
Personally, I would go for full license. There are several restrictions for sport pilots that are a pain.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
daniel2002p

Post by daniel2002p »

i8godzilla wrote:Look at the requirements for Sport Pilot. I do not believe there is a medical component.
Not a big fan of the sport license... I think you are limited to daylight hours only, one passenger at a time and if I am not mistaking there are airplane type requirements.

--Daniel
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
1)Treat firearms as if they are loaded. 2)Point the muzzle away from non-targets.
3)Keep fingers off the trigger until ready to shoot. 4)Be sure of your target and backstop.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

That's true. However, sport pilot still requires you to self-certify that you're OK for flight. If you believe that your vision might impede you in any way, you can't fly sport either.
Look at what translates to private pilot. If you're recreational, my guess is that you're not going to spend a lot of time at night. And a C172 or basic entry level rental plane really can't fly with full fuel and more than 2 passengers in most cases...

My suggestion is to go for what's cheapest next. Don't assume you're going turbine and IFR. You'll really need some wealth to fly turbines or be some form of professional pilot.
You'll find that it's a pain to get a rental aircraft at night in most cases... And true ability to use a rental for cross country will depend on how much the rental shop likes you.

Most economic method: Join a club. Do it now before completing flight training. Most clubs have their own instructors. It solves the night/weekend availability issue.

Hows your health generally? The eyesight limits are pretty easy to meet and pretty cut and dried. Just know that you're going to have to list every single visit to the doctor for the last 5 years, every prescription and you'll need to track that stuff from now on. There is a great doctor over on the AOPA forum (Bruce) who will give you advice for free.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

cb1000rider wrote:You'll really need some wealth to fly turbines or be some form of professional pilot.
Multi-engine ain't cheap either. Very few are available for rental except training clubs, schools etc.

We had a Cessna twin for a year and spent $50,000 all told, routine maintenance, insurance, fuel, charts, etc. I had a Gold Mastercard for the left engine and one for the right engine!

I was at a political fat-cat fund-raiser some years ago, seated at a table with several other couples. One of the men noticed the wings on my lapel, AOPA or Pilot Proficiency etc and we started comparing notes. He and his wife had a Citation which they had just sold. I'll never forget the wife's comments. "It was really great to drive down to the airport, get in the plane and be in Aspen in an hour or so, but since we sold the jet, we can buy food again!" "rlol"
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

None of it is inexpensive. Not even light sport.

One other note - if you take the FAA medical and fail for any reason, you're done. Anything that would disqualify you for private pilot would also disqualify you for sport pilot. If you don't take the exam, it's not an issue.
If you're on medications, you better make sure that they're on approved list now - before you go in for that physical. I can't stress this enough.
Ever been treated for depression? You're probably disqualified without some very expensive additional screening, assuming your off medication.
Have prescription sleep aids? They're not allowed.

Again, start slow. Aviation isn't less expensive than it was 6 years ago. If you're going to do it, join a club now. It'll save you money even if you discontinue your training.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

cb1000rider wrote:None of it is inexpensive. Not even light sport.

One other note - if you take the FAA medical and fail for any reason, you're done. Anything that would disqualify you for private pilot would also disqualify you for sport pilot. If you don't take the exam, it's not an issue.
If you're on medications, you better make sure that they're on approved list now - before you go in for that physical. I can't stress this enough.
Ever been treated for depression? You're probably disqualified without some very expensive additional screening, assuming your off medication.

Again, start slow. Aviation isn't less expensive than it was 6 years ago. If you're going to do it, join a club now. It'll save you money even if you discontinue your training.
Sure about that?

I was under the impression that quite a number of pilots who had developed health issues, due to old age, decrepitude etc were turning to Sport Aviation when they could no longer get a medical. Maybe a version of DADT or something, what the FAA doesn't know your doctor shouldn't tell them etc.

DocV

Post by DocV »

cb1000rider wrote:None of it is inexpensive. Not even light sport.

One other note - if you take the FAA medical and fail for any reason, you're done.
Well, pretty much... There is the Special Issuance route. I had a traumatic chest injury when I was a kid and, as a result, ended up going through the Special Issuance regime. Think "Not Cheap" for a 3rd class medical that is issued for only one year contingent on a regime of medical exams to see whether or not you are alive.
cb1000rider wrote:Anything that would disqualify you for private pilot would also disqualify you for sport pilot. If you don't take the exam, it's not an issue.

True that!

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

JALLEN wrote: I was under the impression that quite a number of pilots who had developed health issues, due to old age, decrepitude etc were turning to Sport Aviation when they could no longer get a medical. Maybe a version of DADT or something, what the FAA doesn't know your doctor shouldn't tell them etc.
The distinction is likely that they developed health issues that might have impeded them from passing a flight medical, but they didn't take the exam and they're still willing to self certify.

I don't think you can self-certify if you fail the exam w/o a Special Issuance.

Running Arrow Bill

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

In 1970 I got my private pilot's license: ASEL. Have flown Cessna 150, 172, 180, and 205 (owned 150 and later the 205). Logged about 600 hours before quit about 10 years later due to $$$$. Also included about 30 hours night flying and about 10 hours on my Commercial/IFR training. Other than $$ issues, my deteriorated hearing has been the main issue I didn't resume. Had Private Class 3 medical and Commercial Class 2 medical.

Unless one is "puddle jumping" in rural areas, hearing is parallel to vision since you MUST be able to understand Controller's instructions, especially when flying near or into cities with ATC operations.
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

Return to “Off-Topic”