What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
Keith B
Moderator
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 18258
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#16

Post by Keith B » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:43 pm

A good fried's son is getting ready to get out of hte Army. He went down to start paperwork on his discharge and there was no one in the office. He is now stuck in the Army.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 8054
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#17

Post by RoyGBiv » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Keith B wrote:A good fried's son is getting ready to get out of hte Army. He went down to start paperwork on his discharge and there was no one in the office. He is now stuck in the Army.
At least he's getting paid. :roll:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 8054
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#18

Post by RoyGBiv » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:07 pm

jmorris wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
RPBrown wrote:The biggest issue that I see id there are those like my son in law that still have to work but not get paid.
I have some friends that work for Fed letter agencies and they are still going to work without pay. I do feel bad for them, but they understand completely.
We did offer to have them over for dinner at least twice/week to help them cut some expenses for food and entertainment. ;-)

Based on BHO's golfing schedule, I'm beginning to think this might be a long one.
Good news? Additional deficit reduction. :mrgreen:
This is interesting since in our furlough letter it stated that working during the furlough, either in the office, at home, or at the coffee shop, will be reason for adverse action or dismissal. And it will get your supervisor a letter of reprimand since he obviously didn't explain the rules well enough. We were required to leave laptops and blackberries at work.
Different agency, different rules perhaps?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek


StewNTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 4:05 pm
Location: Ingleside, TX

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#19

Post by StewNTexas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:54 pm

I will be very surprised if the people now not being paid are not paid as soon as the government opens for business. This has happened before, and everyone gets a check to cover the time they were 'off'.

Kinda like a paid vacation.

Time (hopefully a short time) will tell. I would guess it is probably around a 99% chance this will happen.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.


CHLLady
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 798
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:27 am
Location: DFW

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#20

Post by CHLLady » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Listened to Mark Levin's rant this evening. I had to chuckle, he was so fired up. He said they were threatening to arrest some of the vets. He said he'd bring half a million people to march on Washington if they dared. I don't think I've ever heard him so fired up! It was stupid to barricade it up. Its an open air memorial. That was done for special effects, just like the Sequester release of masses of illegal immigrants.

Some people are considered mission essential in military civilian staff Also. A friend is a secretary to a commander, she is exempt. I was surprised since, they usually put an active duty person to fill in.

Our commissary was open yesterday. They told the cashiers they had to work, but would not get paid until after the gov. Reopens. If they refused they would get fired. I tipped the bagger extra because they are mostly retirees and they won't get tips if the commi. Is closed.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

User avatar

jmorris
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Cibolo
Contact:

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#21

Post by jmorris » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:
jmorris wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
RPBrown wrote:The biggest issue that I see id there are those like my son in law that still have to work but not get paid.
I have some friends that work for Fed letter agencies and they are still going to work without pay. I do feel bad for them, but they understand completely.
We did offer to have them over for dinner at least twice/week to help them cut some expenses for food and entertainment. ;-)

Based on BHO's golfing schedule, I'm beginning to think this might be a long one.
Good news? Additional deficit reduction. :mrgreen:
This is interesting since in our furlough letter it stated that working during the furlough, either in the office, at home, or at the coffee shop, will be reason for adverse action or dismissal. And it will get your supervisor a letter of reprimand since he obviously didn't explain the rules well enough. We were required to leave laptops and blackberries at work.
Different agency, different rules perhaps?
Shouldn't be since the directive comes from the Office of Personnel Manager and Federal law. I'm just wondering if they are "essential personnel". Those are working but not getting paid *until* the furlough is lifted, then they'll collect all the pay due.

Course, if the congress votes to pay salaries for those furloughed this kinda screws them.
Jay E Morris, Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC, Cibolo, Tx
NRA Lifetime
TSRA Lifetime (as of my Jan 2019 official old fart birthday)
NRA Recruiter (link)

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 25456
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#22

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:51 pm

oohrah wrote:I can tell. My son and many others furloughed, and him with two young girls and now no paycheck. And Ted Cruz "hasn't thought about it, but he will keep his".

535 putzes in DC - I blame all of them.
534 putzes. Cruz announced the other day that he would be refusing his salary or donating it to charity until the shutdown is over.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... -shutdown/

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politi ... o-charity/

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/g ... 97663.html
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.


powerboatr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:53 pm
Location: Quitman

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#23

Post by powerboatr » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:20 pm

RPBrown wrote:The biggest issue that I see id there are those like my son in law that still have to work but not get paid.

Then the idiots that caused this still get their paychecks

my son works for l3 out at waco....they already hit the slow down button, less hours but still working


for us its going to be tight come nov 1st if the nutts still are acting like two year olds

navy retired checks will stop
VA compensation stops, but medical will still be available
they really put the screws to you if your disabled
ss checks still go out, but ssid will get cut off

but we plan for rainy days and stock up on beanie weenies :biggrinjester:
i just cant beleive harry ried is so obtuse about everything, why does congress get a pass on the affordable health care act?

i get a kick out the postal thing, they are their own entity so they should still be delivering
irs scaled back is great
but our emails are still being searched, most of them are active duty anyways
we should shutter airforce one and all the vacations shelley takes
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy


CHLLady
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 798
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:27 am
Location: DFW

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#24

Post by CHLLady » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:30 pm

powerboatr wrote:
RPBrown wrote:The biggest issue that I see id there are those like my son in law that still have to work but not get paid.

Then the idiots that caused this still get their paychecks

my son works for l3 out at waco....they already hit the slow down button, less hours but still working


for us its going to be tight come nov 1st if the nutts still are acting like two year olds

navy retired checks will stop
VA compensation stops, but medical will still be available
they really put the screws to you if your disabled
ss checks still go out, but ssid will get cut off

but we plan for rainy days and stock up on beanie weenies :biggrinjester:
i just cant beleive harry ried is so obtuse about everything, why does congress get a pass on the affordable health care act?

i get a kick out the postal thing, they are their own entity so they should still be delivering
irs scaled back is great
but our emails are still being searched, most of them are active duty anyways
we should shutter airforce one and all the vacations shelley takes
I was at the commissary yesterday before it closed down today, good thing you got your beanie wienies cuz the Vienna sausages were gone! And so were many shelves of goods. I'm right there with you! I stocked up on Ramen bowls. The kids love 'em. ;-)
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4554
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#25

Post by RPBrown » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:59 am

jmorris wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
jmorris wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
RPBrown wrote:The biggest issue that I see id there are those like my son in law that still have to work but not get paid.
I have some friends that work for Fed letter agencies and they are still going to work without pay. I do feel bad for them, but they understand completely.
We did offer to have them over for dinner at least twice/week to help them cut some expenses for food and entertainment. ;-)

Based on BHO's golfing schedule, I'm beginning to think this might be a long one.
Good news? Additional deficit reduction. :mrgreen:
This is interesting since in our furlough letter it stated that working during the furlough, either in the office, at home, or at the coffee shop, will be reason for adverse action or dismissal. And it will get your supervisor a letter of reprimand since he obviously didn't explain the rules well enough. We were required to leave laptops and blackberries at work.
Different agency, different rules perhaps?
Shouldn't be since the directive comes from the Office of Personnel Manager and Federal law. I'm just wondering if they are "essential personnel". Those are working but not getting paid *until* the furlough is lifted, then they'll collect all the pay due.

Course, if the congress votes to pay salaries for those furloughed this kinda screws them.
My son in law is an investigator for ICE. He has to continue to work and does not get paid. He has been informed by letter that (and I am not quoting here) when this is over, they will receive back pay but that it will be added over the course of several paychecks. At least my daughter is working so they are not destitute but we have offered to help them out if it gets bad.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

Fangs
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1229
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: San Marcos, TX

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#26

Post by Fangs » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:38 pm

NICS for purchases is apparently down. My gf's father attempted to buy a firearm in Houston and was told that they can only sell to CHLs due to the shutdown.
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix


powerboatr
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:53 pm
Location: Quitman

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#27

Post by powerboatr » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:04 pm

update for active duty
your going to keep on getting paid
Military retirees and annuitants are not paid from Continuing Resolution Act (CRA) appropriations. Therefore, your payments are not affected by this shutdown.

I guess they snuck that in a few months back.
good for me and active duty.

i feel for those who are told to come to work and we will pay you later....omg crazy is not even close to the logic

lets pray it comes to a fix quick
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy


bdickens
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2807
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:36 am
Location: Houston

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#28

Post by bdickens » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:52 pm

oohrah wrote:I can tell. My son and many others furloughed, and him with two young girls and now no paycheck. And Ted Cruz "hasn't thought about it, but he will keep his".

535 putzes in DC - I blame all of them.

Leftists sure love to lie about this stuff. When the .gov reopens, guess what. They get all the pay for the time they were supposedly not getting paid.
Byron Dickens

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 25456
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#29

Post by The Annoyed Man » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:15 pm

bdickens wrote:
oohrah wrote:I can tell. My son and many others furloughed, and him with two young girls and now no paycheck. And Ted Cruz "hasn't thought about it, but he will keep his".

535 putzes in DC - I blame all of them.

Leftists sure love to lie about this stuff. When the .gov reopens, guess what. They get all the pay for the time they were supposedly not getting paid.
.....whether or not they worked......
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy
My dream is to have lived my life so well that future generations of leftists will demand my name be removed from buildings.

User avatar

bizarrenormality
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

#30

Post by bizarrenormality » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:50 pm

MotherBear wrote:But why can't people look at fountains, statues and walls?
It makes complete sense when you realize it's not about saving taxpayer money. It's a power play.
StewNTexas wrote:I will be very surprised if the people now not being paid are not paid as soon as the government opens for business. This has happened before, and everyone gets a check to cover the time they were 'off'.

Kinda like a paid vacation.
Very much like a paid vacation, except I don't think it counts against their vacation balance.

When a business shuts down temporarily because of cost cutting, the factory workers often don't get paid for the involuntary time off. Paying the government workers who didn't work is proof positive the shutdown is not about saving money. It's about a childish President throwing a tantrum to pressure adults to give the spoiled brat what he wants.
"Also if you can not be trusted with a pistol after a few drinks you can't be trusted with a pistol period. Booze is liquid bad judgment no doubt but it shouldn't make you into a damn moron. If you are a moron sober I don't know what to tell you." - BurnedOutLEO

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”