What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

Post by Keith B »

This is a news report from the company my daughter works for. The reporter is a friend of hers. Thought it was funny, but pretty serious too.

http://www.newsy.com/videos/all-the-awe ... map=%5B%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What the Government Shutdown REALLY Does

Post by MoJo »

No panda cam! What am I going to do!
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Government Shutdown, means less tax money spent, so I save some cents now or in the future. The only interaction between myself and US Federal Government is I have to pay estimated taxes each 90 days.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Hat tip to The Patriot Post:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jmra

Post by jmra »

The government is shut down? How can you tell? I'd be willing to bet that if the average joe didn't turn on his TV, the government could be "shutdown" for months and he'd never know the difference.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The biggest issue that I see id there are those like my son in law that still have to work but not get paid.

Then the idiots that caused this still get their paychecks
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jmra wrote:The government is shut down? How can you tell? I'd be willing to bet that if the average joe didn't turn on his TV, the government could be "shutdown" for months and he'd never know the difference.
You can tell, because it literally took an "act of a congressman" to get WW2 combat veterans into the outdoors open air WW2 memorial.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

There was a panda cam? Gee, and I missed it.

And no more site about asteroids coming to annihilate us? You know what, I'll bet this whole shut down thing is just a massive conspiracy to keep us from knowing that there is actually one of those monsters headed for us, and the government doesn't want us to know. The rest of the shut down is just camoflage and a way to spirit the most important politicians into safe havens while ignoring the rest of us.

Wait, I forgot, they already ignore the rest of us, don't they?
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

drumbdummer

Post by drumbdummer »

jmra wrote:The government is shut down? How can you tell? I'd be willing to bet that if the average joe didn't turn on his TV, the government could be "shutdown" for months and he'd never know the difference.
:iagree:

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

RPBrown wrote:The biggest issue that I see id there are those like my son in law that still have to work but not get paid.
I have some friends that work for Fed letter agencies and they are still going to work without pay. I do feel bad for them, but they understand completely.
We did offer to have them over for dinner at least twice/week to help them cut some expenses for food and entertainment. ;-)

Based on BHO's golfing schedule, I'm beginning to think this might be a long one.
Good news? Additional deficit reduction. :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
You can tell, because it literally took an "act of a congressman" to get WW2 combat veterans into the outdoors open air WW2 memorial.
What kills me is that apparently there were police there to keep people out. I'm sorry, explain to me how we have the money and manpower to keep people out but not to let people in? Things like the gift shops and the visitors' centers, I understand. Library of Congress, National Archives, all that stuff -- sure. No one to staff them, they're closed, lock them up to keep things safe. But why can't people look at fountains, statues and walls? But I'm sure it's not because anyone is trying to be petty about the situation. :roll:

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I can tell. My son and many others furloughed, and him with two young girls and now no paycheck. And Ted Cruz "hasn't thought about it, but he will keep his".

535 putzes in DC - I blame all of them.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

Yeah... x2.
Some government tasks are easily seen (PO, TSA, etc) and the bozos in DC kept them working by declaring them essential or excepted. Others, about 800K folks, are not essential or excepted and they are home without pay and unable to get unemployment for 3 weeks. I hope my work doesn't turn into an environmental problem, but Cold War radioactive waste stays toxic for 240,000 years. Y'all enjoy the drama.
Happy Trails! N

oohrah wrote:I can tell. My son and many others furloughed, and him with two young girls and now no paycheck. And Ted Cruz "hasn't thought about it, but he will keep his".

535 putzes in DC - I blame all of them.
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

Had a few minutes to watch Cavuto interview Pat Buchannan 10 minutes ago. Cavuto made a particularly interesting observation... What happens 2 weeks from today, when the debt ceiling limit is nearing and the government is still shut down... and people come to realize that nothing critical is missing from their lives? That shutting out 800,000 government employees is saving them money and doing little discernible harm? And that as "problems" are found, the House is spitting out CR's to immediately fill the gaps..... Want the WWII Memorial reopened? A potential problem at NIH? The CR's have already passed the House.

Hmmmm.... This might just work out after all.

Have a nice trip to Bali Mr. President.
Just like you split town for a fundraiser to Las Vegas the morning after the murder of your Libyan Ambassador, you again are fiddling while trying to make America burn. We see through your attempt at petty tyranny. We'll be here when you get back. Right here where you left us when you decided a trip to Bali was better optics than sitting down with Congress to do the Peoples business. You, Sir, have no clothes. Me--> :lol: You --> :cryin
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

RoyGBiv wrote:
RPBrown wrote:The biggest issue that I see id there are those like my son in law that still have to work but not get paid.
I have some friends that work for Fed letter agencies and they are still going to work without pay. I do feel bad for them, but they understand completely.
We did offer to have them over for dinner at least twice/week to help them cut some expenses for food and entertainment. ;-)

Based on BHO's golfing schedule, I'm beginning to think this might be a long one.
Good news? Additional deficit reduction. :mrgreen:
This is interesting since in our furlough letter it stated that working during the furlough, either in the office, at home, or at the coffee shop, will be reason for adverse action or dismissal. And it will get your supervisor a letter of reprimand since he obviously didn't explain the rules well enough. We were required to leave laptops and blackberries at work.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “Off-Topic”