My Vote Mattered

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

My Vote Mattered

Post by RoyGBiv »

We had a local bond issue on the ballot here yesterday. The exact topic isn't relevant to the point I'm about to make, so, I'll skip it to avoid any temptation at making a political discussion out of it...

My wife and I spent some time talking about it and decided we were against the proposition. She's a reluctant voter (disenfranchised, a bit), but I booked some time on her calendar yesterday afternoon and drove her to the polls. Was the first time I didn't vote early in a very long time.

Long story short..... The proposition was voted down.. The margin was 3 votes out of nearly 3,100 votes cast (local ballot item).
Me, my wife, and one other guy defeated it. :lol: :mrgreen:

How often do you see that?

My point? VOTE! It matters.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My Vote Mattered

Post by VMI77 »

You could have defeated it without the other guy, or your wife....then it would counted 3 times as much.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

airborned

Post by airborned »

Every vote alwase counts. Unless you live in Florida or voting for the president in that case its an electoral college and that makes little to no sense to me lol.

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

airborned wrote:Every vote alwase counts. Unless you live in Florida or voting for the president in that case its an electoral college and that makes little to no sense to me lol.
The President is elected by the "States" through the Electoral College, not by the people. It is the system the Founders set up. There is a mechanism to change it if it is thought necessary.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

Someone will want a recount so don't be to excited yet.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

VMI77 wrote:You could have defeated it without the other guy, or your wife....then it would counted 3 times as much.
A one-vote differential would have been pretty funny.

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

So my last post here, just above, was made tongue-in-cheek. Then today I read the results of the recount...

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11/19 ... -bond.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One vote determined Keller taxpayers would not fund $8.2 million in road and intersection improvements.

A three-vote difference in Keller’s bond election prompted a recount to be filed by Invest in Keller, a group formed to support the proposition.

The recount determined instead of three votes, there was only a one-vote difference with the majority opposed to the proposition.
Given that I cajoled a friend into voting and drove my wife to the polls, plus me.... I'm claiming credit for the 1-vote margin. :mrgreen:

Lesson: Every vote counts. :patriot:

Return to “Off-Topic”