North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blood

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 12815
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#211

Post by C-dub » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:03 pm

cb1000rider wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote: You're implying that since an off-duty cop can pull over and ticket (or even arrest) somebody that has broken the law in his presence, that THAT Justifies their redirecting them into a parking lot to take a government survey. That, sir, is a classic straw man argument. Fail.
No, sir... I'm not implying that at all. If you find it offensive that I don't want to fire someone, that's OK.. But please hang me out to dry on my positions, not on a position that I didn't take. I'm more than capable of making a bad argument, but I'm certainly not arguing what you're suggesting above.

To me, it wouldn't make a difference if they were wearing Magnum PI shorts and Hawaiian T-shrits while redirection traffic if they were identifying themsevles. As LEOs, they're authorized to stop us on or off duty within jurisdictional bounds, even if they're wearing moo-moos. I'll skip more creative descriptions of interesting Austin attire. It's inherently non-optional to have a LEO direct you to stop and is inherently cohesive. Dress doesn't matter. Mode of transportation doesn't matter. They were probably illegal stops, but because no one got in trouble we don't get to figure that out definitively.

Stated another way to be perfectly clear: They have the authority to stop. That doesn't make it "right" and it doesn't make it legal. And I do not agree with what happened.

No offense intended to those that own Hawaiian T-shirts.. :mrgreen:
I'm not stopping for some dude wearing a moo-moo even if there are flashing lights or maybe especially if there are flashing lights.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 19
Posts: 9003
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#212

Post by mojo84 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:20 pm

This is still going on. Doesn't give the appearance of "voluntary" to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/18/pa ... ral-study/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

Reading Police Chief William Heim told the Reading Eagle the federal agencies are trying to see what can be done about crashes and injuries, and the swabs were not to get DNA samples but to test for the presence of prescription drugs. He said police were there for site security only and did not pull drivers over or ask questions.

"In the grand scheme of things, I think it's a pretty innocuous and minor issue," Heim said.

I wonder if the cop is holding one of those alcohol detectors. Looks like he is holding something but I can't tell what it is.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 14
Posts: 10351
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#213

Post by jmra » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:46 pm

mojo84 wrote:This is still going on. Doesn't give the appearance of "voluntary" to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/18/pa ... ral-study/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[ Image ]

Reading Police Chief William Heim told the Reading Eagle the federal agencies are trying to see what can be done about crashes and injuries, and the swabs were not to get DNA samples but to test for the presence of prescription drugs. He said police were there for site security only and did not pull drivers over or ask questions.

"In the grand scheme of things, I think it's a pretty innocuous and minor issue," Heim said.

I wonder if the cop is holding one of those alcohol detectors. Looks like he is holding something but I can't tell what it is.
One of my former jobs required me to travel to Reading several times a year. I can't imagine for the life of me any reason I would possibly return. One of the most depressing places I've ever been.
Evidently it's turning into a police state to boot.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member


gthaustex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1318
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:38 am

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#214

Post by gthaustex » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Just saw the story about Reading, PA. Mojo beat me to the post. So, this is nationwide as they originally said. The police chief in Reading said he didn't have a problem with it....
He said police were there for site security only and did not pull drivers over or ask questions.
"In the grand scheme of things, I think it's a pretty innocuous and minor issue," Heim said.
According to this story as well as the one last month in Fort Worth, police forced drivers off the road and directed them to a parking lot for the "interviews". That sounds a lot like pulling drivers over to me.... :mad5


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 3641
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#215

Post by chasfm11 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:54 pm

jmra wrote: One of my former jobs required me to travel to Reading several times a year. I can't imagine for the life of me any reason I would possibly return. One of the most depressing places I've ever been.
Evidently it's turning into a police state to boot.
I suspect that Reading is no more of a police state than the other 60+ sites where this "survey" was conducted. We have relatives very near Reading and agree with your assessment of the town. Lancaster, also nearby, is equally depressing.

It is the pattern of police cooperation in this matter that scares the pants off of me. "It is no big deal" makes it even worse, suggesting the chief has no idea about what the Constitution was designed to protect. What is a little unjustified search among friends? I can only hope that the PA citizens raise as much of a fuss about this as many in Texas did with Ft. Worth. I'm afraid, however, that they just rolled over and played dead.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

User avatar

texanjoker
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 18
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#216

Post by texanjoker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:14 pm

chasfm11 wrote:
jmra wrote: One of my former jobs required me to travel to Reading several times a year. I can't imagine for the life of me any reason I would possibly return. One of the most depressing places I've ever been.
Evidently it's turning into a police state to boot.
I suspect that Reading is no more of a police state than the other 60+ sites where this "survey" was conducted. We have relatives very near Reading and agree with your assessment of the town. Lancaster, also nearby, is equally depressing.

It is the pattern of police cooperation in this matter that scares the pants off of me. "It is no big deal" makes it even worse, suggesting the chief has no idea about what the Constitution was designed to protect. What is a little unjustified search among friends? I can only hope that the PA citizens raise as much of a fuss about this as many in Texas did with Ft. Worth. I'm afraid, however, that they just rolled over and played dead.

People are missing the last paragraph of the latest article:
But law enforcement agencies in other jurisdictions have taken measures to ensure that motorists know it is a "paid volunteer survey," and that they do not have to pull over.

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 14
Posts: 10351
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#217

Post by jmra » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:43 pm

texanjoker wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:
jmra wrote: One of my former jobs required me to travel to Reading several times a year. I can't imagine for the life of me any reason I would possibly return. One of the most depressing places I've ever been.
Evidently it's turning into a police state to boot.
I suspect that Reading is no more of a police state than the other 60+ sites where this "survey" was conducted. We have relatives very near Reading and agree with your assessment of the town. Lancaster, also nearby, is equally depressing.

It is the pattern of police cooperation in this matter that scares the pants off of me. "It is no big deal" makes it even worse, suggesting the chief has no idea about what the Constitution was designed to protect. What is a little unjustified search among friends? I can only hope that the PA citizens raise as much of a fuss about this as many in Texas did with Ft. Worth. I'm afraid, however, that they just rolled over and played dead.

People are missing the last paragraph of the latest article:
But law enforcement agencies in other jurisdictions have taken measures to ensure that motorists know it is a "paid volunteer survey," and that they do not have to pull over.
I don't think they need police at all. Just have a guy stand out there with a sign saying "$10-$50 in 5 minutes". They would get more takers than they could shake a stick at. Police are there for only one reason, this administration believes intimidation is the only way to get something done.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

User avatar

bizarrenormality
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#218

Post by bizarrenormality » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:38 pm

jmra wrote:I don't think they need police at all. Just have a guy stand out there with a sign saying "$10-$50 in 5 minutes". They would get more takers than they could shake a stick at. Police are there for only one reason, this administration believes intimidation is the only way to get something done.
This.
"Also if you can not be trusted with a pistol after a few drinks you can't be trusted with a pistol period. Booze is liquid bad judgment no doubt but it shouldn't make you into a damn moron. If you are a moron sober I don't know what to tell you." - BurnedOutLEO


talltex
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:40 pm
Location: Waco area

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#219

Post by talltex » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:05 am

Reading Police Chief William Heim told the Reading Eagle the federal agencies are trying to see what can be done about crashes and injuries, and the swabs were not to get DNA samples but to test for the presence of prescription drugs. He said police were there for site security only and did not pull drivers over or ask questions."In the grand scheme of things, I think it's a pretty innocuous and minor issue," Heim said.
Gee...that sure looks like an ordinary public roadway...well, except for all those traffic cones blocking off part of it...and that temporary STOP sign placed at the intersection...where the normal traffic lights have been turned off...and those pole mounted floodlights...oh, and those off-duty police officers wearing their duty belts with firearms prominently displayed... one of them leaning over to the window and speaking, but not asking any questions, of the person driving the car, which he didn't stop.
;-)
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon


Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1447
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#220

Post by Right2Carry » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:10 am

talltex wrote:
Reading Police Chief William Heim told the Reading Eagle the federal agencies are trying to see what can be done about crashes and injuries, and the swabs were not to get DNA samples but to test for the presence of prescription drugs. He said police were there for site security only and did not pull drivers over or ask questions."In the grand scheme of things, I think it's a pretty innocuous and minor issue," Heim said.
Gee...that sure looks like an ordinary public roadway...well, except for all those traffic cones blocking off part of it...and that temporary STOP sign placed at the intersection...where the normal traffic lights have been turned off...and those pole mounted floodlights...oh, and those off-duty police officers wearing their duty belts with firearms prominently displayed... one of them leaning over to the window and speaking, but not asking any questions, of the person driving the car, which he didn't stop.
;-)

Just keep on driving without rolling your window down or stopping and see how voluntary the non stop really is.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985


G0C
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#221

Post by G0C » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:19 am

The only reason they hired those armed men was to intimidate citizens who didnt want to volunteer.


howdy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:16 pm
Location: Katy

Re: North Texas motorists stoped by Feds to take DNA and blo

#222

Post by howdy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:14 am

It seems this just happened in the Houston area. A friend of mine was waiting to cross the Bolivar Peninsula ferry to Galveston and was waved over by police. He was told he had to give a DNA swab of his mouth and to blow in the tube. He was then told they needed to search his car. He refused all requests and was allowed to go on his way. He said the police at no time said this was voluntary. Has anyone else heard about this?
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”