North Texas Winter Storm

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: North Texas Winter Storm

Post by ELB »

suthdj wrote:...Oh god the memories as a child of each spring picking the studs out of my mothers tires so she would not get a ticket.
Are studded tires illegal in Texas? We used them all winter in Indiana when I was growing up. I hadn't even thought about them here, we get so little ice.

BTW, I wish you north Texans would keep your cold air to yourselves. I didn't move to south Texas and 100+ degree summers so I could also freeze my fingers off in the winter. :grumble
USAF 1982-2005

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ELB wrote:
suthdj wrote:...Oh god the memories as a child of each spring picking the studs out of my mothers tires so she would not get a ticket.
Are studded tires illegal in Texas? We used them all winter in Indiana when I was growing up. I hadn't even thought about them here, we get so little ice.

BTW, I wish you north Texans would keep your cold air to yourselves. I didn't move to south Texas and 100+ degree summers so I could also freeze my fingers off in the winter. :grumble
I think studded tires are illegal here, but chains are allowed when it's bad enough as long as they aren't damaging to the road. When my family moved down here from upstate NY we had a studded set of tires for each vehicle that we would swap out after Thanksgiving, sometimes earlier, and then back again around St. Patricks day. One time, the weather was bad like this the first winter down here and my dad put the studded tires on. An officer stopped him when he noticed them and warned him to get them back off or face a ticket, but did not give him a ticket that day.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ELB wrote:

This "winter storm", bad as it is, is nothing new and not particularly severe. Would you believe the record snowfall for San Antonio is 13.5 inches? I do because I was there, at Kelly AFB. I had to chain-up my car because, naturally, I was the Staff Duty NCO that week. :???:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/ ... -54291.php
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

We seem to be in an island of power. People all around us still have no power.
Got down to about 15* Sat morning. No melting yesterday (high was 27*) about 2 inches of ice on the ground. Ive got several damaged trees including a Live Oak that may have to come down. It now leans toward the house and drive way.
My daughter's house about 8 miles north of us had no power for about 24 hours. Managed to get my generator over to them so nothing froze up. Now it's too dangerous to drive over to get my generator. We still have areas close by with no power. The Tex New Mexico power company has been working hard to get everything restored. Couple of the "Co-ops around us haven't done so well.
Managed to get to work both days but I live almost in sight of the store (Hardware). Business was very brisk. Sold out space heaters, all fuels, chain saws, fire logs, generators, extension cords, heat lamps, and batteries. If we had doubled our normal amounts of stock we could have sold it all. Yesterday afternoon the electical and plumbing areas started to get hit pretty hard, but I bet half the people that came in left empty handed because we are out of everything they wanted/needed. I'm hopeing that I won't have to work today but I know that the ones that are scheduled live 10 or more miles away and our roads are still rrreealll bad. If it was me out that far out I wouldn't try it. Plus we have an ice fog this morning.
Last edited by 2farnorth on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N5PNZ

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by suthdj »

ELB wrote:

Not sure down here I was raised in Ill. :oops:
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

C-dub wrote:
ELB wrote:

I think studded tires are illegal here, but chains are allowed when it's bad enough as long as they aren't damaging to the road. When my family moved down here from upstate NY we had a studded set of tires for each vehicle that we would swap out after Thanksgiving, sometimes earlier, and then back again around St. Patricks day. One time, the weather was bad like this the first winter down here and my dad put the studded tires on. An officer stopped him when he noticed them and warned him to get them back off or face a ticket, but did not give him a ticket that day.
When we lived in PA, I had sets of studded snows for both cars. PA was more restrictive about how long you could run them than the surrounding States. I can ever think of studded snows any more without thinking of a funny story.

I had driven to West Virginia on business and gotten caught in one of their infamous speed traps. A new and much lower speed limit sign was artfully placed behind another sign so that noone could see it unless you came to a dead stop beside it to look. I think the ticket cost $50 and you had to pay it before leaving the State. I drove to the city hall and grumbled to the clerk about their ridiculous speed traps. She looked at my PA driver's license and told about her $300 ticket in PA for driving with studded snow tires. She had gone there from WVA to help a sick relative. She tried to fight the ticket in court and the judge threatened her with an additional $50 contempt citation because he didn't like her tone of voice. I quietly handed her my $50 and left, thinking that I got the better part of that deal.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rbwhatever1 »

The rural roads out here in Southwest Wise County are still about 4-6 inches of solid ice now but the top layer is melting. Tomorrow morning I assume most roads will look like a Zamboni ran over them.
III

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Studded snow tires -in 1971, I was based at Grand Forks AFB, and had purchased studded tires for the car. Got orders to report to Ft. Benjamin Harrison in Indianapolis in late March, to start a Defense Information School on 1Apr. Needless to say, I still had the studs in as there was still inches of ice on the roads in ND, gradually thawing out as I drove southeast. I hit the Indianapolis city limits and wound up being stopped by a city cop, who informed me that I needed to get the studs out or swap tires. Needless to say, as an E-3, not much extra money, so I spent the weekend in the barracks parking lot pulling all of those studs out, one by miserable one.

Back to current history -just got notification that we're gonna close school on Monday, and if the country roads in our district don't thaw out quite a bit, we'll be out Tuesday as well. FWISD and the Tarrant Co offices are closed tomorrow, as well. Wasn't too long ago that wouldn't have applied to me, working on the MICU like my son has this weekend -glad I'm nice and snug in the house this weekend and hope all of y'all that have to get out in this stay safe!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

New York Telephone Company briefly tested studded tires back in the 70s, but went back to chains. And then the fleet got equipped with radial tires, and they forgot to tell us to not use chains on our trucks. Lots of blown tires.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

txglock21
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txglock21 »

It was a miserable weekend for me. Lost power about 6am. on Friday and didn't get back on until 6 pm. on Saturday night. Ventured out to get a warm meal Sat. morning and ended up getting a flat tire on the way back to cold house. Changing a flat tire on the side of I-30 with cars whizzing by on slick roads was not a fun process. The first thing I did when power came back on was to go online and order a generator (all stores were sold out). Not going through that mess again! :grumble
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

jmra

Post by jmra »

txglock21 wrote:It was a miserable weekend for me. Lost power about 6am. on Friday and didn't get back on until 6 pm. on Saturday night. Ventured out to get a warm meal Sat. morning and ended up getting a flat tire on the way back to cold house. Changing a flat tire on the side of I-30 with cars whizzing by on slick roads was not a fun process. The first thing I did when power came back on was to go online and order a generator (all stores were sold out). Not going through that mess again! :grumble
My brother posted on FB that all of his neighbors can rest assured that they will never lose power. He is certain of this because he had a 20KV gen installed when he built his house. I bought a gen 5 years ago and other than making sure it starts up several times a year, I've never used it.
When I lived just outside NOLA every time we had a threat of a hurricane an 18 wheeler trailer mounted sized gen would appear in my driveway with enough cable to reach a number of my neighbors homes (one of my neighbors worked for a company that provided these and my driveway was the only one long enough and straight enough to park it). Of course we never lost power.
Buying a gen is one of the best ways to make sure you'll never need it. :mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

We had quite a bit of it in our area (Grapevine). DFW airport closed. Roads under 1-2" of solid ice. Etc.

We lost power at 10 a.m. on Friday and the house started to cool down. We lit the fireplace for a while, but it wasn't that efficient. I started calling around to see if there were any hotel rooms in town available, but with the airport being shut down, all hotels were booked solid. We had been invited out to dinner at a friends house Friday night anyway, and they offered to put us up for the night, so we booked our dog into the PetSmart pet hotel in Southlake and packed our bags for an overnight stay. Then, just before we left to go to their house at 4:00 p.m., the power came back on. Our driveway is starting to clear up, but both the front and back yards are still under ice. Our street is still mostly icy, but with clear tire ruts.

I have a vehicle with 4WD and off-road tires, so getting around really wasn't that hard for us. In fact, even on solid ice we did fine as long as I was smooth and didn't go too fast. The biggest problem I had getting around wasn't so much the ice, it was the other drivers. Most roads were limited to one lane open in each direction with cleared ruts, but even though the ruts were clear, sedan drivers were still driving like they weren't, so I kept getting stuck behind people going about 15-20 mph slower than I could comfortably (and safely) go.

But getting around was not nearly as risky as just trying to get in and our of my car! Our church canceled the 9:15 and 11:00 a.m. services yesterday, and held just one service at 5:00 p.m. Parking was no problem, but I nearly fell and fractured my butt about 8 times just trying to get my driver's side door open. I've been doing the Tim Conway Old Man's Shuffle every time I've gone outside since Thursday night, and I'm getting kind of tired of it.
[youtube][/youtube]
BTW, that's exactly how I would fall (at about 2:35 in the video).
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Jaguar
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jaguar »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I have a vehicle with 4WD and off-road tires, so getting around really wasn't that hard for us. In fact, even on solid ice we did fine as long as I was smooth and didn't go too fast. The biggest problem I had getting around wasn't so much the ice, it was the other drivers. Most roads were limited to one lane open in each direction with cleared ruts, but even though the ruts were clear, sedan drivers were still driving like they weren't, so I kept getting stuck behind people going about 15-20 mph slower than I could comfortably (and safely) go.
I had to make an emergency run to the store yesterday in my Chrysler 300 sedan, and even though the ruts were clear, I had to go 20-30 MPH to keep from knocking my oil pan out on the ice buildup in the middle. I appreciate all the 4WD and trucks that cleared the ruts for me in the first place, but have patience while I shave the middle down a bit.

:tiphat:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

I deliver newspapers (Ft Worth Star-Telegram, Dallas Morning News, Wall Street Journal, etc) I delivered all on Friday, most on Saturday and none on Sunday until after 5 PM. Still could not get to some areas with ice covered hills. Amazes me that 8 customers were stupid enough to call in to complain that they did not receive their newspaper. I guess they don't have TV either :banghead:

I think I will give them a note telling them the paper fairy was on vacation "rlol"

I do not understand some people...
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”