Am I The Only Dinosaur Without A Smart Phone?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Am I The Only Dinosaur Without A Smart Phone?

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

WildBill wrote:
Oldgringo wrote::eek6
WildBill wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:I have always preferred the multi-device versus singular device but I'm in awe of how the bundled products on a smart phone work together.
I sensed that Abraham was looking for kindred dinosaur spirits and tried to represent myself as potentially one of them. Thunder lizards need to stick together. :mrgreen:
I am the opposite in this area - I still like my separate GPS, component stereo system, desktop [no laptop or tablet]. I still have a TV antenna - no cable or streaming. No iPod for me. I still like to read a good book, but I have been eyeing a Kindle. I still haven't upgraded my high end camera system to digital - that's more due to money than not liking the technology.
You still have a TV antenna? WOW! :eek6
I am a Tyrannosaurus! Except, I like my meat cooked. ;-)
I have an antenna. It's not connected. It is up in the attic and I never worked up the energy or give a hoot to drag it out of there.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

I suppose you dinosaurs refuse to use those new fangled microwave ovens also.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
WildBill wrote:
WildBill wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:I have always preferred the multi-device versus singular device but I'm in awe of how the bundled products on a smart phone work together.
I sensed that Abraham was looking for kindred dinosaur spirits and tried to represent myself as potentially one of them. Thunder lizards need to stick together. :mrgreen:
I am the opposite in this area - I still like my separate GPS, component stereo system, desktop [no laptop or tablet]. I still have a TV antenna - no cable or streaming. No iPod for me. I still like to read a good book, but I have been eyeing a Kindle. I still haven't upgraded my high end camera system to digital - that's more due to money than not liking the technology.
I am a Tyrannosaurus! Except, I like my meat cooked. ;-)
I have an antenna. It's not connected. It is up in the attic and I never worked up the energy or give a hoot to drag it out of there.
Mine is in the attic. I get about 30 digital channels, some in HD. And yes, they all come in as clear as cable.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

mojo84 wrote:I suppose you dinosaurs refuse to use those new fangled microwave ovens also.
I'm really exposing myself now. :oops:
I bought my first microwave in the 70s. It weighed about 40 lbs, cost about $400 and came with "free" cooking classes. :mrgreen:
My latest model cost about $80 and I use it mostly to heat up leftovers, soup and make popcorn.
NRA Endowment Member

Dori
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dori »

Abraham wrote:I wonder if the majority who own smart phones really NEED them or are they more for recreational use?

What say you?
Define "need" and maybe I can answer the question.

Do we "need" air conditioning in Texas? People lived here before it was invented so maybe not.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Dori wrote:Do we "need" air conditioning in Texas? People lived here before it was invented so maybe not.
Do you call that living? :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

All you "more-experienced" phone users may be more comfortable with this cell phone:
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

rotor wrote:Once you have a good smart phone the real question is "do I need a home computer?".
So true.

Posted on my iPhone 5S. As are about 90% of my posts.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Dori

Post by Dori »

jocat54

Post by jocat54 »

Heck, I need to get my wife and kids to read this thread-----------they think I'm the only old guy that still has a flip phone. May or may not answer it (when I can hear it :mrgreen: ) depends on where I am and what I'm doing at the time. No texting either, I think I know how though.
"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

I got my first smart phone 2 years ago. We refused to have them overseas due to cost. We lived with pay as you go phones for many years. I'm not the kind of person that has to have the latest and greatest. I still forget that my phone can hold my grocery list. I still write it out with pen and paper, then leave it at home. Lol.

I love the idea of apps! I don't use very many though. My newest is a British radio app.

I paid for the NOAA weather app, but the past few weeks it has been very disappointing. I am trying the Accuweather app right now. Seems much more accurate. And I do like the American Red Cross Tornado App. It gives good warnings.

I'm reluctant to trust apps though with all the hacking going on.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 6

Post by chasfm11 »

WildBill wrote:
me too...on the roof. We also have DirecTV . It is our primary and we take a receiver along in the RV on long trips.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

I have the iPhone and will never go back to anything less, God willing.

Something about being able to order thousands of rounds of ammo and guns online while sitting at the traffic light seems like a good way to spend otherwise wasted time.

Ammo ordered while stuck in traffic and delivered to my door paid with a CC online. It doesnt get any better than that. And my favorite FFL takes Paypal, yet another use of my smart phone to complete the transfer of the gun I bought online and thumb my nose at Paypal.

I can do most things with my phone that I regulary do at home with my laptop. Having a computer in your pocket that you can use to make phone calls/text is very convenient. Expensive, but convenient. Worth every penny.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Abraham »

By cracky, I remember when you picked up the receiver, wait a moment, then an operator would ask: Number please! It was then up to you to tell her, the operator, (there were no male operators) an alpha-numeric phone number. (Also, all consumer phones were black and the same model.)

When rotary dial phones came into being, they were just so outre - we marveled at this advance. Talk about fast, hoo-wee!

You'd dial a number, wait for the dial to come back to zero, dial the next number, wait for it to come back to zero, until finally all seven (at that time) were dialed in and presto the signal would go through. Wonderful!

Phones continued to technologically advance until, ugh, the now ubiquitous cell phone came into being. They have their place of course, but cause no end of car wrecks, ruined dinners in restaurants (and everywhere else) and murder too, just to name a few horrors they create.

Now, we have so-called smart phones that also have their place, but they too cause hideous societal problems.

And, I'll bet some of us here know what those downsides can be...

Now, please excuse me, I have to sharpen my stone ax and find my flints for a fire.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

Phones continued to technologically advance until, ugh, the now ubiquitous cell phone came into being. They have their place of course, but cause no end of car wrecks, ruined dinners in restaurants (and everywhere else) and murder too, just to name a few horrors they create.

Now, we have so-called smart phones that also have their place, but they too cause hideous societal problems.
Cell and smartphones have caused no more car wrecks and murders than guns have caused violent crimes and murders.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Off-Topic”