U.S. Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl freed in Afghanistan

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

U.S. Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl freed in Afghanistan

Post by MoJo »

Thank you Lord Jesus!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... n/9809219/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Re: U.S. Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl freed in Afghanistan

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'm glad he's been released, but the 4 to 1 trade means we let the terrorists hose us again.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 6

Post by baldeagle »

I'm thankful Bowe is coming home. I've been praying for him for years.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I am also glad he has been returned. However, it also indicates a serious change in policy of negotiating with terrorists and that bothers me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

I don't want to sound down on the guy, I'm not. They need to observe him very close for a while, they had him for 5 years and can plant a lot of ideas under duress.

philip964
Posts in topic: 23

Post by philip964 »

I didn't know before this post that there was an American prisoner of war being held by the Taliban. Apparently this soldier's story is not as simple as the USA Today's article might suggest.

Apparently members of his unit said he was AWOL when he was captured. This leaves the Army in a little of a pickle, as he has probably now been punished far more than he would have been had he been caught by US forces. Is he honorably discharged?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... otest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Rolling Stone magazine quoted emails Bergdahl is said to have sent to his parents that suggest he was disillusioned with America's mission in Afghanistan, had lost faith in the U.S. Army's mission there and was considering desertion.

Bergdahl told his parents he was 'ashamed to even be American'.

Bergdahl, who mailed home boxes containing his uniform and books, also wrote: 'The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong.'

The Associated Press could not independently authenticate the emails published by the magazine in 2012. Bergdahl's family has not commented on the allegations of desertion, according to Col. Tim Marsano, a spokesman for the Idaho National Guard."

philip964

Post by philip964 »

MeMelYup wrote:I don't want to sound down on the guy, I'm not. They need to observe him very close for a while, they had him for 5 years and can plant a lot of ideas under duress.
His father is concerned that he cannot speak English anymore.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

MeMelYup wrote:I don't want to sound down on the guy, I'm not. They need to observe him very close for a while, they had him for 5 years and can plant a lot of ideas under duress.
Are you thinking of Homeland?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

philip964

Post by philip964 »

“Trading five senior Taliban leaders from detention in Guantanamo Bay for Bergdahl’s release may have consequences for the rest of our forces and all Americans. Our terrorist adversaries now have a strong incentive to capture Americans. That incentive will put our forces in Afghanistan and around the world at even greater risk,” House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard P. McKeon (R-Calif.) and the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, James M. Inhofe (Okla.), said in a joint statement.

A tweet was posted by the father and then removed.

https://www.ijreview.com/2014/06/143442 ... ing-tweet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently he is working for the release of all the prisoners in Cuba. "I am still working to free all Guantanamo prisoners. God will repay for the death of every Afghan child, ameen! 5/28/14, 2:43 PM"

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FYI with the big beard I thought the father being from Idaho might be a mountain man, ZZ Top fan, Louisiana duck hunter or fundamentalist religious person. When I saw the word Ameen at the end of his supposed statement, I didn't know what it meant, it is similar to Amen, leading me to believe he might be a fundamentalist religious person, which he apparently is. Here is the definition. http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/index.php?word=ameen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The father's twitter feed is kind of strange. Not sure what to think: https://twitter.com/bobbergdahl
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

The father praised Allah at the end of the press conference http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/06/01/ ... ama-122631" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The whole deal is starting to smell to me. :mad5
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Allen West agrees that something doesn't pass the smell test.

http://allenbwest.com/2014/06/bergdahls ... oking-gun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

From what I've seen, he deserted his post to "Hang with the Taliban". His muslim-sympathizing dad drummed up a bunch of celebrity support and started a "cause". Obama decides disobeying the law (trading off 5 vicious terrorists for a deserter) was perfectly ok.

I hope some people burn for this. :mad5

He was NOT a "POW". He was a _cooperative_ deserter. Worse, soldiers died in their search for him. Not one, SEVERAL.

This is an outrage. He should have been left to rot.

More here: http://seanlinnane.blogspot.com/2014/06 ... hange.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

I'm trying to reserve my opinion, but more and more people are coming forward to tell what happened when he left.

Our captives were never treated as well as this guy. It just seems very suspicious to me.

He needs to be told that his comrades were killed while looking for him.

I'm suspicious of his father too. Strange strange things afoot. Despite this being the perfect opportunity for Mr. O to close it all down. What made me throw up in my mouth was when the prez. said something to the effect that we don't leave Americans behind, while speaking at the rose garden. Bad speech writer, bad!! :banghead:
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Are you thinking of Homeland?
I was thinking "Manchurian Candidate".
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Return to “Off-Topic”