Sunscreen Ban Causes 10-Year-Old Girl To Get FRIED

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sunscreen Ban Causes 10-Year-Old Girl To Get FRIED

Post by rbwhatever1 »

With todays litigious society, public schools have learned not to take any chances with any item that could possibly harm another. I can see the flip side of a 10 year old girl arriving home from school with severe burns and oozing sores across her body from applying a friends sunscreen. I imagine the headlines, lawsuit and outrage would be lingering for a long time.

I don't believe we can blame anyone but ourselves as Parents for not teaching our children to be independent of the State and planning accordingly. We brought this on ourselves.
III

stavos

Post by stavos »

I'm waiting for "the rest of the story" before I blame anybody.

Did the school confiscate the sunsceen the parent sent with their child?

Did the parent apply suncreen that morning but the child burned anyway?

Did the parent make no real effort to protect their child from sunburn?

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

Another case of Ostrich Syndrome that I see running rampant in the district where I teach. Lest zero in on one little issue but ignore the miriad of similar things still happening/being brought to school. Sunscreen is not allowed at my school either. However, my students apply/share FREQUENTLY throughout the day: hand sanitizer, lotion, cologne, body spray, AXE :cryin , etc. Funny thing is THE KIDS see all the inconsistencies in the rules. They question me all the time about them. I really don't know what to say. Pathetic when the kids are smart enough to see the cracks in the system (and take advantage of them sometimes).

And yes. In this particular case parental involvement would've been an easy fix.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

Topic author
Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jim Beaux »

jmra wrote:
mamabearCali wrote:Of course you can put sunscreen n at the start of the day, but if it is an outside all day event it is only reasonable to reapply. Sunscreen gets sweated off, rubbed off etc etc. It is an asinine policy. It does fit with their one size fits all approach to just about everything. A very very few might have problem with certain sunscreens so they are are going to prohibit it for everyone when very reasonable procedures could keep everyone safe. Stupid stupid stupid.

Let everyone who has ear to hear, hear. "Gov't is not eloquence (or wise policy) it force and like fire a dangerous servant and a fearful master." This include Govt at the elementary school level. Decide whether or not you wish to subject yourself and your children to it because in this one instance you have choices. Make the best choice you can for your family.
Don't know what kind of sunscreen you are using but unless my kids are at a water park, a good coating in the morning will adequately protect them all day in the sun.
Regardless if it is a bad policy or not, the mom knew the rules and failed to take appropriate steps to protect her child. That's on her, not the school.
I can almost assure you that this schools policy was the result of a lawsuit filed by some other irresponsible parent that expected the school to protect their child from exposure to said sunscreen.
1. As I previously stated -
The point is about big brother denying a parent's wishes regarding the healthcare of their child.
2. This parent is engaged and has taken responsibility in challenging this ignorant policy. Good on her.

3. Youre mistaken, no sunscreen will protect all day.
Sunscreens should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure to allow the ingredients to fully bind to the skin. Reapplication of sunscreen is just as important as putting it on in the first place, so reapply the same amount every two hours. Sunscreens should also be reapplied immediately after swimming, toweling off, or sweating a great deal.
http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/su ... -explained

Take care.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

jmra
Posts in topic: 14

Post by jmra »

rbwhatever1 wrote:With todays litigious society, public schools have learned not to take any chances with any item that could possibly harm another. I can see the flip side of a 10 year old girl arriving home from school with severe burns and oozing sores across her body from applying a friends sunscreen. I imagine the headlines, lawsuit and outrage would be lingering for a long time.

I don't believe we can blame anyone but ourselves as Parents for not teaching our children to be independent of the State and planning accordingly. We brought this on ourselves.
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

jmra wrote:
Texsquatch wrote:I attended my son's field day to chaperone, and applied multiple layers on his freckles because he burns easily. I also handed the sunscreen to a couple parents so they could apply to their own kids. No one got arrested or kicked out of school.
Bingo! It's all about parental involvement. Unfortunately too many parents are like the one in the story; knowing ahead of time that her child would not be allowed to bring sunscreen - she didn't apply sunscreen prior to the kid leaving for school, she didn't make arrangements to attend the event, she didn't make arrangements to authorize another parent attending to apply sunscreen on her child, and even with a family medical history of skin cancer she didn't have a doctor prescribe sunscreen as a medication which would have forced the school to apply the sunscreen. She failed in the most basics of parenting and somehow this is the schools fault.
It irrates me to no end that parents somehow feel that once they drop their kids off at school all parenting responsibilities somehow transfer to the school. I don't think the general population has a clue how many kids wearing $200 shoes are given breakfast because the parent doesn't take time to feed them before they left the house. Or how many hours are spent with kids before and after school (during dismissal) by school staff helping kids with homework because we know their parents are not going to take the time to help them. News Flash! You don't have to send your kid to public schools! If you don't like the job the ISD is doing, Fire Them! Of course for most parents that would mean no more baby sitting services and would force them to assume the actual role of a parent.
:iagree: If I had my way, people like this would be sterilized.

Before anyone gets fired up, I'm injecting some humor. While my statement isn't meant to be literal, the sentiment is there.
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jim Beaux wrote:
jmra wrote:
mamabearCali wrote:Of course you can put sunscreen n at the start of the day, but if it is an outside all day event it is only reasonable to reapply. Sunscreen gets sweated off, rubbed off etc etc. It is an asinine policy. It does fit with their one size fits all approach to just about everything. A very very few might have problem with certain sunscreens so they are are going to prohibit it for everyone when very reasonable procedures could keep everyone safe. Stupid stupid stupid.

Let everyone who has ear to hear, hear. "Gov't is not eloquence (or wise policy) it force and like fire a dangerous servant and a fearful master." This include Govt at the elementary school level. Decide whether or not you wish to subject yourself and your children to it because in this one instance you have choices. Make the best choice you can for your family.
Don't know what kind of sunscreen you are using but unless my kids are at a water park, a good coating in the morning will adequately protect them all day in the sun.
Regardless if it is a bad policy or not, the mom knew the rules and failed to take appropriate steps to protect her child. That's on her, not the school.
I can almost assure you that this schools policy was the result of a lawsuit filed by some other irresponsible parent that expected the school to protect their child from exposure to said sunscreen.
1. As I previously stated -
The point is about big brother denying a parent's wishes regarding the healthcare of their child.
That is your point, which is debatable.
2. This parent is engaged and has taken responsibility in challenging this ignorant policy. Good on her.
If she would have planned properly to protect her child (see my previous posts) the child would not have burned.

3. Youre mistaken, no sunscreen will protect all day.
Sunscreens should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure to allow the ingredients to fully bind to the skin. Reapplication of sunscreen is just as important as putting it on in the first place, so reapply the same amount every two hours. Sunscreens should also be reapplied immediately after swimming, toweling off, or sweating a great deal.
http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/su ... -explained

Take care.
And of course you should never be exposed to sunlight. The "rules" you posted are as ridiculous as the schools policy. Our routine is proven effective, is directed by our dermatologist and my wife who has been a healthcare professional for 20 years many of those years at children's hospital working directly with leaders in the field.
The fact is, her child burned on the field trip, my kids did not and they didn't take any sunscreen with them.

BTW, companies that produce sunscreen products are major contributors to organizations that conduct skin cancer research. You don't think that those instructions to bathe in sunscreen are money driven in any way do you?

ETA: http://www.sunlightinstitute.org/more-i ... en-infants
"The Skin Cancer Foundation, of course, was founded by sunscreen manufacturers, which are forbidden by the FDA to claim that their products prevent melanoma. This statement by the FDA belies the claims of the Skin Cancer Foundation: “the available evidence fails to show that sunscreen use alone helps prevent skin cancer or premature skin aging. Thus, the anti-aging, skin cancer, and sun damage claims proposed by the comments [of the sunscreen industry] would be false or misleading due to lack of sufficient data in support of these claims.”[2] Dr. Bernard Ackerman, a celebrated dermatologist, has further stated, “…the American Academy of Dermatology, the Skin Cancer Foundation and the American Cancer Society sold their seals of recommendation to manufacturers of sunscreen, the price being substantial in terms of dollars but incalculable in regard to tarnish of honor.” He continued, “…sunscreen companies pay it [the Skin Cancer Foundation] many thousands of dollars annually in the hope of gaining many millions of dollars in return.”
Last edited by jmra on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

MotherBear
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MotherBear »

I'd like to know more about the nature of the field trip. If it was an outdoor activity in the sun all day, I can say from personal experience that one application of sunscreen wouldn't be enough for me. I burn easily and have frequently gotten burned due to forgetting to reapply sunscreen (usually at the beginning of the summer when I've gotten complacent). It doesn't have to be a water activity; a day at the zoo or a field day without much shade would do it too. When you figure in the time between when the girl left home and when she was likely getting the most sun exposure, applying it before school just isn't an adequate option. Usually about 4 hours is the limit, assuming water isn't involved. If sunscreen was applied even as late as 8 a.m., it'd be wearing off early enough that she wouldn't have protection from afternoon sun.

To be fair, I don't wear sunscreen every time I go outside. But if I'm going to be out in the sun for several hours at this time of year, I WILL burn if I do not apply and reapply sunscreen. My oldest has my complexion and is the same way.

jmra

Post by jmra »

MotherBear wrote:I'd like to know more about the nature of the field trip. If it was an outdoor activity in the sun all day, I can say from personal experience that one application of sunscreen wouldn't be enough for me. I burn easily and have frequently gotten burned due to forgetting to reapply sunscreen (usually at the beginning of the summer when I've gotten complacent). It doesn't have to be a water activity; a day at the zoo or a field day without much shade would do it too. When you figure in the time between when the girl left home and when she was likely getting the most sun exposure, applying it before school just isn't an adequate option. Usually about 4 hours is the limit, assuming water isn't involved. If sunscreen was applied even as late as 8 a.m., it'd be wearing off early enough that she wouldn't have protection from afternoon sun.

To be fair, I don't wear sunscreen every time I go outside. But if I'm going to be out in the sun for several hours at this time of year, I WILL burn if I do not apply and reapply sunscreen. My oldest has my complexion and is the same way.
What kind of sunscreen are you using? A generous coating of waterproof spf 50 should last all day. I used to spend 10 hrs a day on a flight line with a single application in the hot Southeast without burning and I am very light complected.
But, if I felt that my child needed additional applications you can bet your bottom dollar I would be on the field trip applying that application myself.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

I would be willing to bet if this same mother's child had been accidentally sprayed in the face by another child applying sunscreen she would be filing a lawsuit as we speak. People complain about the rules but ultimately the schools are darned if they do and darned if they don't. This results in ISD lawyers pushing new policies every time a parent files a complaint. The lawyers will push whatever most limits the liability to the school.
BTW, the teachers at the elementary campus my kids attended would discuss the issue with parents at the beginning of the year. Unless parents refused at that time, whenever kids were going to be outside for an extended period the teacher would offer sunscreen to any of the kids who hadn't been coated before they left the house. The sunscreen was actually on the list of requested items given to parents at the beginning of the year.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

jmra wrote:I would be willing to bet if this same mother's child had been accidentally sprayed in the face by another child applying sunscreen she would be filing a lawsuit as we speak. People complain about the rules but ultimately the schools are darned if they do and darned if they don't.
If an organization can't operate without being sued, then perhaps it ought not to be operating at all, at least not with public funding.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Dave2 wrote:
jmra wrote:I would be willing to bet if this same mother's child had been accidentally sprayed in the face by another child applying sunscreen she would be filing a lawsuit as we speak. People complain about the rules but ultimately the schools are darned if they do and darned if they don't.
If an organization can't operate without being sued, then perhaps it ought not to be operating at all, at least not with public funding.
You do realize anyone can sue anyone for any reason or no reason? Your statement is simply irrational.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

jmra wrote:
MotherBear wrote:I'd like to know more about the nature of the field trip. If it was an outdoor activity in the sun all day, I can say from personal experience that one application of sunscreen wouldn't be enough for me. I burn easily and have frequently gotten burned due to forgetting to reapply sunscreen (usually at the beginning of the summer when I've gotten complacent). It doesn't have to be a water activity; a day at the zoo or a field day without much shade would do it too. When you figure in the time between when the girl left home and when she was likely getting the most sun exposure, applying it before school just isn't an adequate option. Usually about 4 hours is the limit, assuming water isn't involved. If sunscreen was applied even as late as 8 a.m., it'd be wearing off early enough that she wouldn't have protection from afternoon sun.

What kind of sunscreen are you using? A generous coating of waterproof spf 50 should last all day. I used to spend 10 hrs a day on a flight line with a single application in the hot Southeast without burning and I am very light complected.
But, if I felt that my child needed additional applications you can bet your bottom dollar I would be on the field trip applying that application myself.
No type in particular; this is a lifelong observation. I think the stuff we were using last summer was Coppertone, but we buy whatever brand we find on sale when we need it. The instructions on every sunscreen I've ever looked at say to reapply after a few hours, too.

To be clear, I wouldn't be suing the school over this, or probably even going to the media, but I would be talking to people about getting the policy changed or otherwise figuring out a solution. It's hard for me to say exactly what I'd do because I personally grew up mostly outside the school system and have never thought of it as a place I would be inclined to send my children. So my default solution is that I don't like their rules and we're just going to stay away from the whole mess. If I didn't have a choice or didn't like that choice, I'd have to get more creative. Maybe like you say, I'd be on the trip to take care of things myself (although there are few things I hate worse than running into school field trip groups, and not every parent has that option). Or maybe I'd be talking to the teacher, the principal, the nurse, the school board, or whoever has a say in this. Not being nasty, just talking to the people who can fix my problem. Sunscreen is considered pretty common sense these days, and the instructions on the product say to reapply, so it should be pretty straightforward. Do they need a note from me or from a doctor? I can do that. Is there a "safe" brand of sunscreen I can buy? If it works and doesn't cost its weight in gold, I can do that. There has to be a better solution than disallowing sunscreen.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

jmra wrote:

and your method is the only one that works
and too bad if this mother is a single mother working an hourly job
and too bad if this child is has a pale complexion and blond hair (which means easier to burn if you don't catch my meaning)
you keep saying that you want the parent involved, but when the parent tried to get involved and send the sunscreen it wasn't allowed....this is the problem with government schools, the won't let the kids have sunscreen or aspirin, but they'll sure as heck give them condoms and tell them how to get an abortion without their parents knowing.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

SewTexas wrote: and your method is the only one that works
and too bad if this mother is a single mother working an hourly job
and too bad if this child is has a pale complexion and blond hair (which means easier to burn if you don't catch my meaning)
you keep saying that you want the parent involved, but when the parent tried to get involved and send the sunscreen it wasn't allowed....this is the problem with government schools, the won't let the kids have sunscreen or aspirin, but they'll sure as heck give them condoms and tell them how to get an abortion without their parents knowing.
The "guvm'nt" schools in Texas, if they follow the law proscribed by the legiscritters elected in the state for the last few session, WILL let your child have Aspirin, or sunscreen, if you follow the law, parent. Fill out the form that the school nurse will happily give out, or can usually be downloaded from the school or district's website, and deliver the form and the over-the-counter med to the nurse's office before the child needs it, and it will be available for the student's use. If it's a prescription med, or something required by a physician, for example a dermatologist, the form has to be signed by the prescribing physician, but the substance will be administered according to the Rx.

That is the law, proscribed by Texas in the Education Code, and you're not going to find schools that ignore their law because to do so, in any way, would be to do so at their own peril. If you don't like me, as an educator, following the State's law, then change the law and quit yelling at me for following the law!

And, if you can find a public school in Texas that is handing out condoms, or telling them how to get an abortion as part of the curriculum, I'll buy you and hubby a steak dinner at Saltgrass quicker than you can say atchoo! Ain't gonna happen because, again because of a different state law, the curriculum requires us to tell kids the abstinence-only policy and to leave our personal ideas out of it.

Believe me, it's been my experience that every educator gets a reminder every now and then, about what we can say to a kiddoh, and what we can't. We may not agree with the totality of the law, but we do follow the law, as that is one of the responsibilities of a professional educator in Texas.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “Off-Topic”