Buying silver

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Rex B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Buying silver

Post by Rex B »

I'm about to buy some myself.
Anyone interested in pooling a buy to get the deeper deal?
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

gregthehand
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gregthehand »

I stick to pre-1964 "junk" silver US coins. I have some bullion but I try to limit it.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

gregthehand wrote:I stick to pre-1964 "junk" silver US coins. I have some bullion but I try to limit it.
Good places to buy the junk silver coins?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bblhd672 wrote:
gregthehand wrote:I stick to pre-1964 "junk" silver US coins. I have some bullion but I try to limit it.
Other than a walk-in local trader, your best bet is probably the same places that sell the bullion. But take note that there are ZERO "deals". Remember that everyone who is selling is a speculator, and they are trying to maximize their profit, especially in uncertain times. I have both bullion and junk silver - not a ton of either, but some - and bullion has always seemed to be the better price.....at least to me. All of my bullion is in the form of 1oz "stagecoach bars" which are pre-scored into quarters, so that they can be easily reduced into lower "denominations".

But also remember that in that kind of economy, other items have high barter value too, and can be thought of in "denominations" as well - most obviously, ammunition.

Another consideration from a short-term prepping standpoint, and this is something that someone brought to my attention just a few days ago, stemming from a conversation that was originally about asset forfeiture...... In the context of that conversation, I mentioned to my friend that my wife and I always keep around $2,500-$3,500 in cash on hand at home for emergency purposes. It is securely tucked away.....out of sight, out of mind, and all that. My friend asked me what denominations it was in, and my reply was most of it is in $100 bills, with maybe $500 in $20s. He said, "so in a situation where all power is offline, there's no more refrigeration, the supermarket shelves are mostly bare, and they can't get the register open to make change, and you need to buy food for your granddaughter, that $3.29 loaf of bread just became a $20 or $100 loaf of bread.....not necessarily because the other guy was trying to screw you, but because that's the money that you had. Point being, convert a few hundred $$ of that to singles, fives, and tens.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1
Posts in topic: 18

Post by carlson1 »

AndyC wrote:Silver at $18.44 - seems folks are worried that Brexit is going to lead to a storm of financial uncertainty.
That means my 1oz coins that I paid $12 and change for and $13 and change for have gone up for now. :mrgreen:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Almost $20.00 an ounce. Unbelievable.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

carlson1 wrote:Almost $20.00 an ounce. Unbelievable.
It was more than double that not too many years ago, so totally believable.

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dadtodabone »

Be aware commercial/institutional silver traders are currently hold the largest short position in history. At the same time the hedge in gold has barely moved.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

gregthehand
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gregthehand »

bblhd672 wrote:
I buy mine from a local guy in Spring, TX. His business is simply called "The Coin Shop".

https://www.facebook.com/The-Coin-Shop-177215665655575/
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

I was going down I -10 near Bingle Voss, so I bought a 2021 uncirculated Silver Eagle today. Didn’t have a 2021 yet.

It was $34. Ungraded loose US silver dollars were the same price.

Seemed previously Silver Eagles were more than generic silver dollars.

Seemed during Trump, generic silver dollars were around $17.

So that would be a 100% increase.

Interesting.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

silver is up now to $24.87
463B0C60-379D-4F5A-A065-2B1E49EFF861.jpeg

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »