Hollywood: Home of the not Brave

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Saffron
Posts in topic: 1

Hollywood: Home of the not Brave

Post by Saffron »

There were no credible threats, but Sony Pictures claimed security concerns when they pulled a movie that wasn't flattering to tin pot dictators. In response, some theater owners with guts planned to show Team America in place of the cowards' movie. Unfortunately, Paramount pulled Team America, because they didn't want anybody to think Sony was more chicken than Paramount.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/team-america- ... 48428.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://gizmodo.com/movie-theaters-cant- ... 1672828807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Department of Homeland Security has found no credible threat, and evidence that the Guardians of Peace have any sort of manpower that could do anything within the boundaries of the United States (much less at thousands of locations simultaneously) is practically non-existent.
I do know my Bible, sir.

CoffeeNut

Re: Hollywood: Home of the not Brave

Post by CoffeeNut »

I understand being cautious, as I'm sure most of us on this forum do, but this is just stupid. No credible threat, no real clue of who pulled off the hacking, hackers typically don't want to sacrifice their hands working with explosives and lastly if it is North Korea then they know what they'd be committing by inciting this. I'm half convinced that pulling it from Christmas release is a stunt in order to get more people to go see it because I doubt Sony will be making money on pictures anytime soon due to all of the destruction the hackers have caused.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Paramount Pictures is not allowing theaters to show Team America: World Police either. Derka derka.

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:Paramount Pictures is not allowing theaters to show Team America: World Police either. Derka derka.
Haka sherpa-sherpa. Abaka-la.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

Something else is going on here. Sony would make big bucks with this movie, just on the buzz alone. And there are theaters that would show it. Instead, they'll shelf the movie - which is exactly what has been demanded.
Why would they do that? I'm not sure it's for public safety.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I suspect either blackmail or publicity stunt is what is actually going on with Sony. As for Team America, lets just say that the current political environment is probably to blame for that one.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

cb1000rider wrote:Something else is going on here. Sony would make big bucks with this movie, just on the buzz alone. And there are theaters that would show it. Instead, they'll shelf the movie - which is exactly what has been demanded.
Why would they do that? I'm not sure it's for public safety.
My understanding is that a lot of data (not sure of the nature of the "data") and emails were compromised. Seems like there could be a pretty good load of blackmail material in that cache. I wouldn't be surprised to eventually learn that considerations other than "public safety" were the deciding factor in pulling the movie.
Also as far as "hacked" goes, I'd put my money on a disgruntled employee selling or giving away a password. It would not be the first time that has happened. At my company, we routinely delete the account of any employee leaving the company for any reason. (exceptions to those who continue in a freelance role.) Even so, we've had a couple of bad eggs do some damage before their termination. In our case, the worst was a sales person taking privileged customer account information with them to our competition.

StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

Please keep in mind that Sony is NOT an American company.

It is a Japanese company, with offices in our country in order to make money. Please take a look at the history between Japan and N. Korea, as well as N. Koreas backer, China.

This might change how this story is perceived if our media looked into the entire situation. But our media seems to act only on 'feelings' and popular opinion, facts having no place in their writings or speeches.

No, I do not have tinfoil headgear, and have never seen a black helicopter.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

CoffeeNut wrote:I understand being cautious, as I'm sure most of us on this forum do, but this is just stupid. No credible threat, no real clue of who pulled off the hacking, hackers typically don't want to sacrifice their hands working with explosives and lastly if it is North Korea then they know what they'd be committing by inciting this. I'm half convinced that pulling it from Christmas release is a stunt in order to get more people to go see it because I doubt Sony will be making money on pictures anytime soon due to all of the destruction the hackers have caused.
Me too. Maybe more than half.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

BigGuy wrote: Also as far as "hacked" goes, I'd put my money on a disgruntled employee selling or giving away a password. It would not be the first time that has happened. At my company, we routinely delete the account of any employee leaving the company for any reason. (exceptions to those who continue in a freelance role.) Even so, we've had a couple of bad eggs do some damage before their termination. In our case, the worst was a sales person taking privileged customer account information with them to our competition.
Although that's entirely possible, understand that internet infrastructure is under constant attack. Constant. And I don't work for a high-profile company that might have done something to anger a country with a substantially sophisticated technical team that was trained to compromise security...

I don't know that it is North Korea, but their good hackers are treated like rockstars over there. If you've got to live in N. Korea, be a good hacker.

What is a little odd is the hack was radically pervasive. Obviously they got total control of email and total control of what was probably substantially locked down movie content. There are probably very few users that have that level of access. And none of this was detected until the hackers tipped their hand. It's not so "wow" that they got in. It's total "wow" that they had that level of control without being detected.

Someone in Sony's tech team is so fired... :-)

I'm happy to know that Andyc and Baldeagle are on it.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I figure the movie just royally sucked. Looking at the two actors in it, that is a distinct possibility. :mrgreen:

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I wasn't planning on seeing it and if it is ever released, I still won't see it. Just doesn't look that good to begin with. I'm planning on seeing American Sniper as soon as it comes out though. I have heard nothing but positive reviews so far including Mrs. Kyle.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

StewNTexas wrote:Please keep in mind that Sony is NOT an American company.

It is a Japanese company, with offices in our country in order to make money. Please take a look at the history between Japan and N. Korea, as well as N. Koreas backer, China.

This might change how this story is perceived if our media looked into the entire situation. But our media seems to act only on 'feelings' and popular opinion, facts having no place in their writings or speeches.

No, I do not have tinfoil headgear, and have never seen a black helicopter.
This is a good point. My concern for a Japanese company is minimal.

Return to “Off-Topic”