Does WalMart have a new policy?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

BobCat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Does WalMart have a new policy?

Post by BobCat »

No idea about walmart / policy, but congratulations on taking new shooters to the range! That's a *good* thing. And also teaching them about ear and eye protection at the range.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

RonW956

Post by RonW956 »

sbrawley wrote:Today my wife and I decided to take a friend and her daughter to the range and make it a day of shooting. This was their first time shooting so we had to stop off at Walmart so they could pick up some safety glasses, earplugs, and their own boxes of ammo. We grabbed what we came for and when we went to check out, the cashier wanted to see all of our ID's since we were in a "group" and purchasing ammo, even though our friend was the only one involved in the transaction. My wife had left her ID in our car and I was completely taken aback as I have purchased ammo from there on numerous occasions and I have never been ID'd :headscratch . We got a manager involved and he told us the same thing the clerk did, that since were we together and ammo was involved they needed to see all of our ID's.
We told them that we don't need the ammo or their business that bad, walked out, and drove over to Academy. This time, just our friend and I went inside and she grabbed the required items including the ammo and we proceeded to checkout. The clerk swiped all the items and not once were we asked for ID's. Looks like I won't be buying ammo from WalMart anymore, besides I can get it cheaper online including the shipping.

Other than that fiasco, we all had a great day at the range and I got to break in my new .40 :mrgreen:
What state do you live in? Texas? I can't believe that a bussiness in Texas would ask for ID for a ammo purchase if you are obviously above the age of 21... I'm glad you walked out, I would have too, but then, last time I set foot inside a Walmart was to do a return back in 2006...

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Apparently, each store has it's own approach to selling ammo.

When I buy it at my local Walmart, I buy it at the sporting goods counter, no muss, no fuss, no I.D. requirement.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VMI77 »

Never encountered anything like that at any Walmart store. Never been asked for an ID...but then I'm an old man so being over 21 is not a question. I highly suspect you ran into an anti-gun manager at this particular store. When the anti-gun nuts can't get their way politically they often use whatever tiny bit of power they have to inflict their attitudes on others.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MeMelYup »

If a customer does not appear to be over 35 they must ask for ID. The state alcohol and tobacco along with police departments get the oldest looking person under 21 to check the stores for compliance.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I thought there was a law about selling pistol ammo to people under a particular age. However, I would bet the gun counter clerks are more flexible with this. Since the gun counter normally checks out my ammo, I never buy at the regular check out lanes.

On alcohol, years ago I worked at a pizza place. We did have people come in and try to buy a pitcher of beer then try to get a second mug for the underage person they came in with who didn't want to show ID.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

My daughter and son-in-law purchased an expensive digital camera and have gotten very good at photography. Several years ago, they took some family photos at their church using the church's Christmas display. I think they took photos for several families. Then they sent these photos electronically to friends and family instead of mailing Christmas cards. I loaded them up on a thumb drive and headed to Wally World to get them printed.
The clerk at the photo counter looked at the photos on the screen and said that as these were obviously "professional" photos, she couldn't print them for us because it would be a copyright violation. I tried to explain the situation to her, but she was having none of it. I wrote Walmart corporate, explaining what had happened. To my surprise, I got a phone call about a week later. They apologized and told me that I would only need to sign a form stating that I had the legal right to print the images. They asked me to go back to that store, ask for the manager and tell them who I was, and they would comp that order for me.
Sometimes, a little tin plated dictator can make your life miserable for a while. But I've usually had good luck with a level headed and truthful complaint to corporate. It's good for you because you feel vindicated. It's good for the store because they have to opportunity to fix a problem that may be costing them customers. And it's good for the public who may not have to go through the hassle you just did. My advise, write corporate.

android

Post by android »

MeMelYup wrote:If a customer does not appear to be over 35 they must ask for ID. The state alcohol and tobacco along with police departments get the oldest looking person under 21 to check the stores for compliance.
Yes, never assume malice when stupidity can explain it.

Once the cash register asked for ID (for pistol caliber ammo), the clerk probably defaulted to the TABC rules since she probably was ignorant of the differences between purchasing ammo and alcohol.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

android wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:If a customer does not appear to be over 35 they must ask for ID. The state alcohol and tobacco along with police departments get the oldest looking person under 21 to check the stores for compliance.
Yes, never assume malice when stupidity can explain it.

Once the cash register asked for ID (for pistol caliber ammo), the clerk probably defaulted to the TABC rules since she probably was ignorant of the differences between purchasing ammo and alcohol.

I wouldn't say stupidity as much as lack of training or store policy. Don't blame the cashier. They're just doing what they are told and trained to do. They're not taught the difference between pistol and rifle ammo etc., just follow policy. Blanket policies may be stupid but they keep the undercover cops and undercover reporters away.

BeanCounter

Post by BeanCounter »

Several years ago my son noticed that a shipment of the ever elusive 22 ammo had arrived at WallyWorld. Being the dutiful son he snagged a few boxes and headed to the register to pay. The cashier immediately calls him out for being under 21. (She knew this information because they were friends and employees at Walmart.)

Noticing the debate between employees at the register the store manager walks over. The dutiful son in his best salesman voice holds up the box of ammo and reads to the assembled crowd of Walmart employees…. “This is 22 long RIFLE ammunition. It does not say anything about pistols!”

The manager and cashier carefully examine each box to make sure its “RIFLE” ammo. The dutiful son chuckled all the way home.
TSRA Life Member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

BigGuy wrote:My daughter and son-in-law purchased an expensive digital camera and have gotten very good at photography. Several years ago, they took some family photos at their church using the church's Christmas display. I think they took photos for several families. Then they sent these photos electronically to friends and family instead of mailing Christmas cards. I loaded them up on a thumb drive and headed to Wally World to get them printed.
The clerk at the photo counter looked at the photos on the screen and said that as these were obviously "professional" photos, she couldn't print them for us because it would be a copyright violation. I tried to explain the situation to her, but she was having none of it. I wrote Walmart corporate, explaining what had happened. To my surprise, I got a phone call about a week later. They apologized and told me that I would only need to sign a form stating that I had the legal right to print the images. They asked me to go back to that store, ask for the manager and tell them who I was, and they would comp that order for me.
Sometimes, a little tin plated dictator can make your life miserable for a while. But I've usually had good luck with a level headed and truthful complaint to corporate. It's good for you because you feel vindicated. It's good for the store because they have to opportunity to fix a problem that may be costing them customers. And it's good for the public who may not have to go through the hassle you just did. My advise, write corporate.
Similar incident happened with my sons years ago. Most employees, even in the photo department, and including store managers, don't understand the law, and it is typically oversimplified when it is explained to them.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

BeanCounter wrote:Several years ago my son noticed that a shipment of the ever elusive 22 ammo had arrived at WallyWorld. Being the dutiful son he snagged a few boxes and headed to the register to pay. The cashier immediately calls him out for being under 21. (She knew this information because they were friends and employees at Walmart.)

Noticing the debate between employees at the register the store manager walks over. The dutiful son in his best salesman voice holds up the box of ammo and reads to the assembled crowd of Walmart employees…. “This is 22 long RIFLE ammunition. It does not say anything about pistols!”

The manager and cashier carefully examine each box to make sure its “RIFLE” ammo. The dutiful son chuckled all the way home.
The cash registers at Walmart used to be programmed to prompt the cashier to ask if 22 ammo was for a rifle or a handgun and I used to get asked this question every time I bought 22 ammo. I don't know when that stopped but haven't noticed it lately. Then again, it's been a long time since I've found any 22 at Walmart.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

VMI77 wrote:
BeanCounter wrote:Several years ago my son noticed that a shipment of the ever elusive 22 ammo had arrived at WallyWorld. Being the dutiful son he snagged a few boxes and headed to the register to pay. The cashier immediately calls him out for being under 21. (She knew this information because they were friends and employees at Walmart.)

The cash registers at Walmart used to be programmed to prompt the cashier to ask if 22 ammo was for a rifle or a handgun and I used to get asked this question every time I bought 22 ammo. I don't know when that stopped but haven't noticed it lately. Then again, it's been a long time since I've found any 22 at Walmart.

I think they decided to make it a moot point and sell it directly on Gunbroker... :biggrinjester:

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
VMI77 wrote:

I think they decided to make it a moot point and sell it directly on Gunbroker... :biggrinjester:
While I doubt that would happen at the Walmart corporate level, I don't dismiss the possibility of some rogue store managers buying it up and reselling it.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

VMI77 wrote:

At least some of the registers still are programmed that way. I see the question prompted sometimes. Then, of course, there's the application of those policies. Some do exactly as trained and ask for the ID and others that know better or don't really care just input a date that is more than 21 years ago and move along if the purchaser is obviously over 21. It really doesn't bother me since they are not recording any other piece of information to link my birth date to me. Well, other than the fact that I just used my debit card to purchase that ammo most of the time. We've all talked about it before, but there are some of us that are already on so many "lists" that this is no big deal.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Off-Topic”