Does WalMart have a new policy?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Does WalMart have a new policy?

Post by rotor »

Why did they say they needed to see ID? Your age? Give us a clue.

rmr24

Post by rmr24 »

That is puzzling and disturbing. Sometimes store managers make their own rules, I would call try and call corporate and see what's up.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

Never been asked for ID but I have been asked if it was for a rifle or a pistol. That policy seems really stupid of Walmart if it is an actual policy and not a tyrannical manager.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

They asked me once if my ammo was for a rifle or pistol, and I told 'em I put the rounds
on my salad.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

I have occasionally been asked for ID at Walmart when buying ammo. Their registers are setup to ask for an age and requires a birth date to get through that. IIRC, it is only for handgun ammo. If your stuff was being purchased all together I don't see how they were going to enter more than one date if that was their reasoning. The times I have not been asked for ID the person just entered a random date that is more tan 21y ago. The times I have been asked for ID they have never recorded any information more than just birth date.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

They do this with alcohol too. I was there once with my fiancee (now wife) getting some beer or wine. Both in our mid 20's. I was purchasing the alcohol, but she was waiting in line with me. They demanded both of our ID's to make sure I wasn't buying alcohol for a minor. I asked them "If I was buying alcohol for a minor, do you think I would have her wait in line with me?" They were dumbfounded at this reasoning, brushing it off and saying "You'd be surprised."

I wonder if they refuse alcohol sales to people who buy it with their young children in tow.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Since you have to find someone to find the person with a key to get ammo at Wal-Mart, I rarely buy there. I can't recall if I've been asked to show ID or not. To have everyone in the party show ID seems pretty draconian to me, though. Academy or the LGS is a much better option, anyway.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

I was just thinking about something else. I don't know why they would or should care about anyone except the person doing the purchasing. I have purchased ammo often with my daughter and they haven't once questioned me about that. And we have even mentioned that WE were on our way to the range and that she was also going to shoot. It shouldn't matter since I am her parent and over 21. So, it also shouldn't matter for anyone else as long as the purchaser is legally able to purchase the ammo.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

mr1337 wrote:They do this with alcohol too. I was there once with my fiancee (now wife) getting some beer or wine. Both in our mid 20's. I was purchasing the alcohol, but she was waiting in line with me. They demanded both of our ID's to make sure I wasn't buying alcohol for a minor. I asked them "If I was buying alcohol for a minor, do you think I would have her wait in line with me?" They were dumbfounded at this reasoning, brushing it off and saying "You'd be surprised."

I wonder if they refuse alcohol sales to people who buy it with their young children in tow.
I'm 99.99% sure that's actually state law. It's not the case if your own children are with you.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

mr1337 wrote:They do this with alcohol too. I was there once with my fiancee (now wife) getting some beer or wine. Both in our mid 20's. I was purchasing the alcohol, but she was waiting in line with me. They demanded both of our ID's to make sure I wasn't buying alcohol for a minor. I asked them "If I was buying alcohol for a minor, do you think I would have her wait in line with me?" They were dumbfounded at this reasoning, brushing it off and saying "You'd be surprised."

They will do this on alcohol sales at many stores if there are several in line in a lot of college towns. All the friends will go in and if there is anyone in the group under age they will not sell to them. It will usually get overridden if they can tell it is a parent and child in the line, but if there is question about them being the parent or the person behind the register is just not bright enough to know how to evaluate the situation properly, then they will deny the sale.

As for ammo sales, I have never heard of them doing this, but they may have had an issue and have put a blanket policy in place.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I very rarely buy my ammo at Walmart, but when I have, they have never asked for ID. Probably because of my gray hair and I could never pass for a 20 year old...or a 30 year old... or a 40 year old... you get the picture. "rlol"
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I was asked for ID the last time I bought ammo from them and I am. well lets just say at least 3 times the legal age to purchase. At the time, I thought it was something to do with the register and having to ask. But since you have said they told you it was because you were in a group, then I cant think of an explanation. Of course I haven't been to Walmart since my wife did her wally walk in 06 (didn't have a wally walk when I got my CHL), nor do I expect to go there.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Off-Topic”