A bit of a protest in Irving, Tx

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 8

A bit of a protest in Irving, Tx

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 5

Re: A bit of a protest in Irving, Tx

Post by Beiruty »

Maybe a US Muslim should go shake hands with them. Clutching an AK is optional but not recommended.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

mr1337
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mr1337 »

This is about the most un-American thing I can think of. They were there to intimidate, no question.

These people are terribly misguided. The religion is not the problem. It's specifically those who distort the religion who are the problem. If these people really wanted to do some good to thwart terrorism, perhaps they should stop by the recruiting office.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

mr1337 wrote:This is about the most un-American thing I can think of. They were there to intimidate, no question.

These people are terribly misguided. The religion is not the problem. It's specifically those who distort the religion who are the problem. If these people really wanted to do some good to thwart terrorism, perhaps they should stop by the recruiting office.

We have the right to assemble, and that is the most American thing we can do. I wish some Muslims would have stood shoulder to shoulder along with the Baptist and said, No terrorism in Texas!
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Richbirdhunter wrote:
mr1337 wrote:This is about the most un-American thing I can think of. They were there to intimidate, no question.

We have the right to assemble, and that is the most American thing we can do. I wish some Muslims would have stood shoulder to shoulder along with the Baptist and said, No terrorism in Texas!
We absolutely do have the right to assemble, and I'm not saying these people weren't within their rights. What I'm saying is that they're bullies.

From what I gathered from the article, they weren't protesting terrorism, they were protesting Islam.

How would you feel if a bunch of armed Muslims showed up at your church with AK47's in hand protesting Christianity? You'd probably be pretty offended, and rightly so. Would you describe those people as American-like if they did such a thing?

What if a bunch of white people with guns protested a Kwanzaa celebration? Would that be American-like?

What I'm saying is the motivations for these protesters are fear and hate, and those are the wrong motivations. They could have protested and still protected themselves without brandishing long guns, but they wanted to send a message. They want to instill fear into American Muslims.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

mr1337 wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:

We absolutely do have the right to assemble, and I'm not saying these people weren't within their rights. What I'm saying is that they're bullies.

From what I gathered from the article, they weren't protesting terrorism, they were protesting Islam.

How would you feel if a bunch of armed Muslims showed up at your church with AK47's in hand protesting Christianity? You'd probably be pretty offended, and rightly so. Would you describe those people as American-like if they did such a thing?

What if a bunch of white people with guns protested a Kwanzaa celebration? Would that be American-like?

What I'm saying is the motivations for these protesters are fear and hate, and those are the wrong motivations. They could have protested and still protected themselves without brandishing long guns, but they wanted to send a message. They want to instill fear into American Muslims.
I believe that Muslims would very much like to attack my church or your church and they will be met with resistance.

Why do you think those guys picked a Mosque? Because Muslims have threatened us. How do you stop a bully? You punch him in the mouth, they threatened, us we said no.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mr1337 wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:

How would you feel if a bunch of armed Muslims showed up at your church with AK47's in hand protesting Christianity? You'd probably be pretty offended, and rightly so.
Actually, I agree with mr1337. There are a couple of things going on here, and it begins with the Irving mayor emphatically stating that Sharia will not have force of law in Irving. But she didn't do that in a vacuum. Here is some back story: http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/musl ... -response/. If you read what she ACTUALLY did and said, it was absolutely neutral with regard to Islam as a religion, and it merely upheld the Constitution of the United States of America.....which is no sin in a politician. Her announcement resulted in a group of some local Muslims being offended and speaking up about it. Now, they have a 1st Amendment right to their opinions and to give voice to those opinions, but their opinions do not trump the 1st Amendment, nor the entire rest of the Constitution, and so their rights notwithstanding, they were in the wrong to insist on a Sharia court. THAT is where it should have ended.

But it didn't end there. There was an anti-muslim backlash from the non-muslim population, and that backlash was fanned by the media. And now we have these clowns showing up at a mosque carrying long guns. Let me tell you something..... If you show up at MY church carrying long guns, I am going to take it EXACTLY as the implied armed-threat that it IS, I'm going to go to my car and retrieve my AR and go back inside, and you and I are going to have an armed confrontation. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

Forum rules forbid me from using the kind of language to describe the action of these "protesters" that it deserves. Here is what they ACTUALLY stand for: they would kill the 1st Amendment to protect it. What sheer stupidity.

I am an unapologetic evangelical Christian, and I sincerely believe that my religion is better than Islam. But I have fellow citizens, friends (Beiruty among them), and a couple of neighbors who sincerely believe the opposite, and I have a duty of good citizenship to live alongside them in peace, so long as they respect my right to my own 1st Amendment protections. It goes without saying that the establishment of a Sharia court violates the Constitution, but lets be honest......we have a president and Congress who do that on a daily basis.....and it doesn't end there. But citizens cannot claim to be defenders of the Constitution when they show up in protest outside of a place of worship, armed with openly carried long guns, and claim that they are there in protection of their first Amendment rights - when their goal is to withhold that right from members of another religion.

It's just wrong.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
mr1337 wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:

How would you feel if a bunch of armed Muslims showed up at your church with AK47's in hand protesting Christianity? You'd probably be pretty offended, and rightly so.
Actually, I agree with mr1337. There are a couple of things going on here, and it begins with the Irving mayor emphatically stating that Sharia will not have force of law in Irving. But she didn't do that in a vacuum. Here is some back story: http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/musl ... -response/. If you read what she ACTUALLY did and said, it was absolutely neutral with regard to Islam as a religion, and it merely upheld the Constitution of the United States of America.....which is no sin in a politician. Her announcement resulted in a group of some local Muslims being offended and speaking up about it. Now, they have a 1st Amendment right to their opinions and to give voice to those opinions, but their opinions do not trump the 1st Amendment, nor the entire rest of the Constitution, and so their rights notwithstanding, they were in the wrong to insist on a Sharia court. THAT is where it should have ended.

But it didn't end there. There was an anti-muslim backlash from the non-muslim population, and that backlash was fanned by the media. And now we have these clowns showing up at a mosque carrying long guns. Let me tell you something..... If you show up at MY church carrying long guns, I am going to take it EXACTLY as the implied armed-threat that it IS, I'm going to go to my car and retrieve my AR and go back inside, and you and I are going to have an armed confrontation. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

Forum rules forbid me from using the kind of language to describe the action of these "protesters" that it deserves. Here is what they ACTUALLY stand for: they would kill the 1st Amendment to protect it. What sheer stupidity.

I am an unapologetic evangelical Christian, and I sincerely believe that my religion is better than Islam. But I have fellow citizens, friends (Beiruty among them), and a couple of neighbors who sincerely believe the opposite, and I have a duty of good citizenship to live alongside them in peace, so long as they respect my right to my own 1st Amendment protections. It goes without saying that the establishment of a Sharia court violates the Constitution, but lets be honest......we have a president and Congress who do that on a daily basis.....and it doesn't end there. But citizens cannot claim to be defenders of the Constitution when they show up in protest outside of a place of worship, armed with openly carried long guns, and claim that they are there in protection of their first Amendment rights - when their goal is to withhold that right from members of another religion.

It's just wrong.
It's not what I want, it's what they want. There's a reason that nobody's protesting synagogues or temples. It's because some Muslims have sworn to kill the infidels and we are infidels. We should stand united a show no fear.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
mr1337 wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:

It's just wrong.
:iagree:
Yep, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. What do they think by showing up with long guns and exposing their Neanderthal heredity?
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Christianity has had it's problems in the past and no one can, nor will, deny that. The current problem is not people of Islamic faith; it is radicalized people of Islamic faith intent on converting, killing, or terrorizing the world. I would however like to know how many people at that Mosque are now more likely to be radicalized because of the intimidation efforts of this crowd. The behavior of this crowd is nothing different than what the radicalized Islamic folks would do, and these people are only one step away from becoming terrorists themselves. This is not a group of Christians doing this, this is a group of people claiming to be Christian playing terrorist in training.

Now with that said they do have a first amendment right to protest, as long as it is peaceable. I would defend their right to do so, just as I would defend the right of those associated with the Mosque to counter protest. But, the logic of "Just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should" is being ignored by those who participate in such protests.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

G.A. Heath

Much of what you posted sounds reasonable, but this statement doesn't make sense to me.

"I would however like to know how many people at that Mosque are now more likely to be radicalized because of the intimidation efforts of this crowd."

Isn't this the same kind of thinking liberals are always bemoaning happens because we fight radicalized jihadis?

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Abraham wrote:G.A. Heath

Much of what you posted sounds reasonable, but this statement doesn't make sense to me.

"I would however like to know how many people at that Mosque are now more likely to be radicalized because of the intimidation efforts of this crowd."

Isn't this the same kind of thinking liberals are always bemoaning happens because we fight radicalized jihadis?
Not entirely, here we give them the right to worship as they please and we defend that right. This protest targeted them for intimidation because they are Islamic, when we go to fight the Jihadis we make it clear who we are going after and why we are going after them. This comparison is akin to comparing Kiwis and Mangos. While it is true that both neither are apples or oranges, that does not make them the same.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

G.A. Heath,

We'll have to agree to disagree.

While I find these armed, intimidating knuckleheads in the wrong, I don't believe their actions would cause peaceful Muslims to go over the wall and become jihadis.

If, on the other hand, what you say is true, then they who become radicalized because of the actions of a group of knuckleheads weren't far from it to begin with...

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

"...I sincerely believe that my religion is better than Islam."

That's exactly what every religion believes, whether Catholic/Protestant/Jew/Mormon/Cargo Cult and on and on.

And, the angry emotions stirred up by the attitude of "My religion is better than yours" has caused wars for centuries.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Abraham wrote:G.A. Heath,
If, on the other hand, what you say is true, then they who become radicalized because of the actions of a group of knuckleheads weren't far from it to begin with...
There is really no way to tell who is or will be radicalized as radicalization is the doctrine some grew up with. There are several articles out on the internet talking about jihadi or western brainwash, a google search will reveal it.
Fact is that religion is just a part of it, culture, economy and political goals are a real factor for those movements as well. Then lets not forget our very own politicians trying to gain advantage through the current situation with help of the media and the inept portion of the voters.
Only those who lived or worked in an environment where Muslims are the majority can tell how the reverse experience of those Muslims living in a Christian society is.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Return to “Off-Topic”