Real Man Rules

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
AndyC
Posts in topic: 2

Real Man Rules

Post by AndyC » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:47 pm

I figured this might amuse you lot - from the Gunsite wire:
***REAL MAN RULES***

As written by Richard Mann

Carry a knife. Always. The only time you should not have a knife is when you are naked, in a bed or when you’re swimming. (Real men swim, they don’t play in the water. And, there is only one kind of knife and that’s a sharp one. A dull knife is nothing but a flat piece of metal with a handle.)

Get a hat; a real hat, you gotta have a hat. Not a baseball cap. You don’t have to wear it all the time but when you are wearing it, take it off when you hear the National Anthem, when you are eating and when you go inside and sit down.

If you are going to carry a handgun, carry it concealed. There are only a few social settings where open carry is proper and they are cookouts and barbecues, campfires and hangings. (We don’t have many hangings these days.) Never open carry in nylon, plastic or Kydex; it’s like wearing tennis shoes to a funeral. And never, ever open carry a Glock unless you are a cop. Nobody wants to see that ugly thing.

Teach at least one kid to shoot and hunt – and to do it well, before you die.

Don’t show off your tattoos unless you are asked.

Stop using your smart phone to check the time. Get a watch for god’s sake.

Act like you have been there before no matter if it’s Paris or a hurricane. This always applies unless it’s your first time at Gunsite. If it is, keep your mouth shut; you’ll learn more that way.

If you have hair on your head or a beard or mustache, keep it trimmed or groomed. Avoid the Unabomber look.

Own at least one custom rifle.

Always buy the first round; nobody remembers who bought the second round or the last one.

If you are going to engage in a ballistics discussion, know something about ballistics.

When discussing guns, cartridges, bullets and ballistics, never say, “all things being equal” because they never are and never will be.

Never ask someone if they have ever killed someone, never ask anyone if they ever slept with someone and never, ever brag or talk about doing either.

Never sit or stand by a man when you can sit or stand by a woman. Do I really need to explain this one?

Keep a rope, a rifle and ammo in your truck. What, you don’t have a truck?

Never waste a sunset.

Learn how to start a fire and how to split wood but always let the youngest in the group do both.

If you are riding in the passenger seat, for heaven’s sake, get the gate!

Own at least one lever action rifle and don’t put a scope on it. (If you own two lever action rifles one of them can have a scope but only if it’s a scout scope.)

Know what Schnee’s boots are and where they are made.

Know who John Browning was and at least two firearms he invented.

Learn how to tell a hunting story that folks will listen to.

Know who COL Jeff Cooper was and be able to quote at least one thing he said.

Knowing how to ride a horse is not near as important as knowing how to saddle one.

Know who Frank Luke, Raoul Lufbery were and how they died.

Own a dog – an outside kind of dog – with a hunting heritage.

Read, The Life of the Hunt and know who wrote it.

Know that Jack O’Connor did not talk directly to God but that Elmer Keith might have.

Own at least one gun in .35 caliber.

Own, carry and shoot a single action revolver. If its not a Colt or Ruger it does not count.

When your hunting partner kills an animal, they touch it first. No exceptions. Well, unless they are sick, seriously injured or if you had to deliver the final shot before it stomped them into a blood puddle.

Its OK to let someone field dress and skin your animal but only if you hired them and are paying them to do it.

You don’t have to know how to cook a lot of things but you must know how to cook breakfast and venison.

Repeat after me, “There is no such thing as a ladies gun.”

And finally, for the love of all that has anything to do with firearms, know how to sight your rifle in without using a box of ammo.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club, Iraq
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

Dan20703
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Real Man Rules

Post by Dan20703 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:23 pm

I like it! I am a strong believer in this one "Act like you have been there before no matter if it’s Paris or a hurricane."
It has gotten me into places and able to do things while others stood with their mouths open.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:25 pm

AndyC wrote:I figured this might amuse you lot - Always buy the first round; nobody remembers who bought the second round or the last one.
:cheers2:
NRA Endowment Member

PBratton

Post by PBratton » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:30 pm

Amen. :tiphat:
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Jago668

Post by Jago668 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:15 pm

I like it.
NRA Benefactor Member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:23 pm

If you are going to carry a handgun, carry it concealed. There are only a few social settings where open carry is proper and they are cookouts and barbecues, campfires and hangings. (We don’t have many hangings these days.) Never open carry in nylon, plastic or Kydex; it’s like wearing tennis shoes to a funeral. And never, ever open carry a Glock unless you are a cop. Nobody wants to see that ugly thing.
This is funny, but there are way too many personal considerations and decision points in these statements to make a real, hard and fast rule.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:39 pm

oljames3 wrote:
This is funny, but there are way too many personal considerations and decision points in these statements to make a real, hard and fast rule.
Very good guidelines with a few solid principles. Good stuff for the man cave wall.
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Rules to live by.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:52 pm

;-)

Only two that I have a quibble with:
Own at least one gun in .35 caliber.

Own, carry and shoot a single action revolver. If its not a Colt or Ruger it does not count.
I don't, and will probably never will, own a firearm in .35 Remington. Don't plan on buying a 336 Marlin anytime soon. Or a Thompson single-shot in that caliber.

Own and learn to shoot a single-action revolver I get. But carry? I won't carry anything that's single-action other than a fixed-blade knife.

I'll add a few:
  • Trigger-finger discipline...even if you're just picking up a bottle of Windex. You immediately know a great deal about a man who keeps his index finger straight and disengaged near anything that even remotely looks like a trigger.
  • If you carry, always carry a spare mag or speed loader. Two is one; one is none.
  • If you have to look-up YouTube videos to help you field-strip and clean your AR15, turn in your man card. What? You don't have an AR15?
  • Own at least one firearm in each of the most prevalent NATO chamberings: 5.56mm, 9mm, and 7.62 NATO.
  • Own SnapCaps. Use them. If you carry, dry-fire practice every day, even for just a few minutes. You need hundreds of hours of perfect practice to develop unconscious competence. And it's a diminishable skill.
  • Regularly, repeatedly, and with intent, pick up something heavy. When the cashier at the grocery store asks, "Would like help to your car with that?" you know you're in trouble.
  • Ignore fashion. Either shave every day or grow a beard. Patchy peach fuzz or two-day growth is becoming on no one. (How did this ever become a thing?)
  • Make eye contact, and when you shake hands always exert two pounds more pressure than the other person. No more, no less.
  • Endeavor first to become a better listener, a better speaker second.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:40 pm

Awesome, THANKS!

I might consider adding:

o Know to to tie a real tie
o know how to change a flat tire and replace a dead battery
(I thought about know how to bleed your brakes, but didn't want to be over the top!)
o Know how to hook up, load, and haul a trailer, including backing up (what, you don't have a trailer?)
o Know how to dock a boat safely in a following sea
o Know how to field strip and clean / lube all of your firearms
o Know how to make correct decisions without all the data
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Bitter Clinger wrote:Awesome, THANKS!

I might consider adding:

(I thought about know how to bleed your brakes, but didn't want to be over the top!)
o Know how to hook up, load, and haul a trailer, including backing up (what, you don't have a trailer?)
The majority of us do not live on a coast. Seamanship is not necessary.
:evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:33 pm

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Awesome, THANKS!

I might consider adding:

The majority of us do not live on a coast. Seamanship is not necessary.
:evil2:
A "following sea" refers to a wave direction that matches the heading of the boat. :tiphat:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Nice. I might burn a few of these on a piece of old barn wood and nail it to my house.
III

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Les Miles wrote:Dumb list. Real men aren't followers. They make their own rules
There are qualities that distinguish real men from the rest of the males in society. These qualities are taught to sons by real men. In today's society there is a huge segment of males who have no idea about what it means to be a real man and this is indicated by the vast number of single mothers and young males who prey on the innocent and helpless. A lot of the qualities that distinguish real men are exhibited by those who do what we do here which is respect one another and obey the law.

:tiphat:
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood

Rvrrat14

Post by Rvrrat14 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Close enough!

Return to “Off-Topic”