Real Man Rules

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Real Man Rules

Post by jason812 »

Les Miles, although funny, I'm pretty sure you just violated some rules.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

Les Miles is, unfortunately, a troll. He has been banned.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Les Miles wrote:Dumb list. Real men aren't followers. They make their own rules
There are qualities that distinguish real men from the rest of the males in society. These qualities are taught to sons by real men. In today's society there is a huge segment of males who have no idea about what it means to be a real man and this is indicated by the vast number of single mothers and young males who prey on the innocent and helpless. A lot of the qualities that distinguish real men are exhibited by those who do what we do here which is respect one another and obey the law.
I taught my son to fish around age 5 and to shoot at around age 6 and gave him his first rifle - a little youth-sized .22 - at that time. After that came whittling and spitting. :mrgreen: He's had his own pocket knife since about age 6 or 7, and 20 years later, he not only never leaves home without one (and a pistol), but he makes knives for friends and family.

Still working on the hunting part, although we'll get there some day. We've only been hunting once together. It's not so much matter of will as it is opportunity. He has developed into a man I am quite proud of. His 26th birthday is this Sunday. He's a Christian from age 6, is happily married, has given my wife and me a beautiful little granddaughter, and they have a son on the way, due in April.

I thought it was important to be the one to teach him a few basics in life before the world got its meathooks into him, so that he he would have those skills even if he learned nothing else from the world.

My own list includes stuff like:
  • Listen to wisdom, practice discernment, and seek after humility.
  • Find someone to be accountable to, preferably someone older and wiser than yourself.
  • Accept reality, acknowledge your mistakes, be grateful for your successes, forgive yourself for your failures, and move on.
  • Learn from the past, live in the present, do the next right thing, and the future will take care of itself.
  • Read. Never stop reading.
  • Learn a musical instrument.
  • ALWAYS treat your wife like you married above your station in life.
  • NEVER abuse an animal. BE the good steward over animals that God meant you to be.
  • Before responding to a perceived provocation, ask yourself if this is the hill you want to die on today.
  • Be willing to let the other person have the last word, even if they are wrong. Remember that you carry a gun and it's not worth the legal fees it will cost you to up the ante.
I'm big on stuff like that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

karder

Post by karder »

:cheers2:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Skiprr wrote:Les Miles is, unfortunately, a troll. He has been banned.
Real men aren't trolls.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Les Miles wrote:Dumb list. Real men aren't followers. They make their own rules
There are qualities that distinguish real men from the rest of the males in society. These qualities are taught to sons by real men. In today's society there is a huge segment of males who have no idea about what it means to be a real man and this is indicated by the vast number of single mothers and young males who prey on the innocent and helpless. A lot of the qualities that distinguish real men are exhibited by those who do what we do here which is respect one another and obey the law.
I taught my son to fish around age 5 and to shoot at around age 6 and gave him his first rifle - a little youth-sized .22 - at that time. After that came whittling and spitting. :mrgreen: He's had his own pocket knife since about age 6 or 7, and 20 years later, he not only never leaves home without one (and a pistol), but he makes knives for friends and family.

Still working on the hunting part, although we'll get there some day. We've only been hunting once together. It's not so much matter of will as it is opportunity. He has developed into a man I am quite proud of. His 26th birthday is this Sunday. He's a Christian from age 6, is happily married, has given my wife and me a beautiful little granddaughter, and they have a son on the way, due in April.

I thought it was important to be the one to teach him a few basics in life before the world got its meathooks into him, so that he he would have those skills even if he learned nothing else from the world.

My own list includes stuff like:
  • Listen to wisdom, practice discernment, and seek after humility.
  • Find someone to be accountable to, preferably someone older and wiser than yourself.
  • Accept reality, acknowledge your mistakes, be grateful for your successes, forgive yourself for your failures, and move on.
  • Learn from the past, live in the present, do the next right thing, and the future will take care of itself.
  • Read. Never stop reading.
  • Learn a musical instrument.
  • ALWAYS treat your wife like you married above your station in life.
  • NEVER abuse an animal. BE the good steward over animals that God meant you to be.
  • Before responding to a perceived provocation, ask yourself if this is the hill you want to die on today.
  • Be willing to let the other person have the last word, even if they are wrong. Remember that you carry a gun and it's not worth the legal fees it will cost you to up the ante.
I'm big on stuff like that.
I think that arrow from the quiver will fly true! Well Done! :tiphat:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Skiprr wrote:Les Miles is, unfortunately, a troll. He has been banned.
Good thing. His girly-man lack of maleness being would have been in constant turmoil here. He will be much happier back in his knitting forum.
III

Kkpsiknl

Post by Kkpsiknl »

The earliest life lesson I remember being taught were the three things in life that aren't any good.
• a dull knife
• an empty gun
• and a cold woman

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but the emasculation of men in our current PC environment is another step towards destroying Western civilization and enlightened society. I like the original list, but TAM's list is better than most. These lists sort of remind me of a quote from Robert Heinlein in his novel "Time Enough for Love", "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Abraham
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Abraham »

THIS: Stop using your smart phone to check the time. Get a watch for god’s sake.

I would add: Don't ask me what time it is because I wear a watch. Buy one for yourself.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Middle Age Russ wrote:I know I am preaching to the choir here, but the emasculation of men in our current PC environment is another step towards destroying Western civilization and enlightened society. I like the original list, but TAM's list is better than most. These lists sort of remind me of a quote from Robert Heinlein in his novel "Time Enough for Love", "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
That has always been one of my favorite books. I always have that list of Lazarus Long's in mind whenever I concoct my own.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SecurityGeek

Post by SecurityGeek »

In his American Handgunner (Sept-Oct, 2005 issue) piece, Roy Huntington mused on the concept of the "retro-guy". Much of his "Retro-Guy Code" could (and should) be considered Man Law. Here is the article:

In light of all the "retro-this" and "retro-that" it suddenly dawned on me I was a "retro" myself. And, as a matter of fact, so are most of the people I know.

With today's on-going diatribe about "feelings," and "feng-shui" (whatever that is) and all the other bewildering definitions of people's, shall we say, "leanings," I figured it was time to clear the air a bit. As a general rule, gun-people are usually fairly easy to define as reliable, law-abiding, family folks with fairly clear definitions regarding their roles in life. Moms are, well moms and dads are, well, dads. Kids are kids and moms and dads take care of the kids. At least that's how it was in my house.

Now not to disparage those of you who have elected to take another track in life. I would like to nonetheless point out some obvious facts regarding most of us who enjoy shooting. I'm not saying if you don't do these sorts of things, you're not a good American; just that you don't fit the basic mold. And that's not a bad thing--usually. Frankly, I'm happy to see anyone out enjoying shooting, hunting, collecting and otherwise messing about with guns and stuff.
Advertisement

I felt it might be nice to sorta' define what a "Retro-Guy" might be. It would make it easier to simply point at this and say something like: "Ah, here, this is the kinda' stuff I do." Feel free to keep a copy in your wallet to help you over those sometimes awkward moments trying to answer the question: "Why do you do that?"

The Retro-Guy Code:

* A Retro-Guy, no matter what the women insists, pays for the date.

* A Retro-Guy DEALS with IT--be it a flat tire, a burglar, or a natural disaster, you DEAL WITH IT.

* A Retro-Guy not only eats red meat, he often kills it himself.

* A Retro-Guy should know how to properly kill stuff (or people) if need be. This falls under the "DEALING WITH IT" portion of The Code.

* A Retro-Guy is allowed to seek professional help for major mental stress such as drug/alcohol addiction, death of your entire family in a freak tree chipper accident, favorite bird dog expiring, etc. You are NOT allowed to see a shrink because Daddy didn't pay enough attention to you. Daddy was busy DEALING WITH IT.

* A Retro-Guy should have at least one good wound he can brag about.

* A Retro-Guy knows that owning a gun is NOT a sign you're riddled with fear. Guns are TOOLS: See "DEALING WITH IT."

* When a Retro-Guy is on a crowded bus and ANY woman gets on, that Retro-Guy stands up and offers his seat to that woman, then looks around at the other so-called men still in their seats with a disgusted look on his face.

* A Retro-Guy will also give up his seat to any elderly person or person in military dress, except officers above second lieutenant. (NOTE: The person in military dress may turn down the offer but the Retro-Guy will ALWAYS make the offer to them and thank them for serving their country.)

* A Retro-Guy knows how to say the Pledge properly, and the words to the Star Spangled Banner.

* A Retro-Guy sharpens his own knives and knows how to use tools.

* A Retro-Guy owns tools, usually lots of 'em.

* A Retro-Guy doesn't need a contract--a handshake is good enough.

* A Retro-Guy will take care of his neighbor's yard when said neighbor is deployed overseas on military duty.

* A Retro-Guy doesn't immediately look to sue someone when he does something stupid and hurts himself. We understand sometimes--in the process of doing things--we get hurt and just DEAL WITH IT.
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"
- S. Paige

Abraham
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Abraham »

He doesn't endlessly discuss hair products, his favorite cologne or even remotely consider make up for men.

He doesn't highlight his hair. He guffaws at the idea...

He washes it and combs it, period.

He doesn't wear ear rings.

Why 'doesn't' he do these things?

He's not a girl nor a male narcissist. (the above mentioned items are girly things, not for men)
Last edited by Abraham on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Own at least one lever action rifle and don’t put a scope on it.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

mayor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mayor »

Skiprr wrote:;-)
[*] Ignore fashion. Either shave every day or grow a beard. Patchy peach fuzz or two-day growth is becoming on no one. (How did this ever become a thing?)
I shave twice as week with a straight razor: Sunday morning and Wednesday night. I'm too busy the other nights of the seek and shaving with a straight razor ain't something I want to do in a hurry. Can i get a pass?

Return to “Off-Topic”