Window tint loophole?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Window tint loophole?

Post by jb2012 »

I have been wanting to put some slightly darker tint on the front windows of my truck (not windshield) for security as well as heat reflection. So, naturally I have been looking for a loophole to achieve this. Until now my best idea was to ask my eye doctor to write me an exemption, in that instance I actually do have mild cataracts that would make it a little more ethical...maybe... Either way I didn't feel comfortable putting my eye doctor in that position so I kept on. I found that one of the exemptions states: "Vehicles used to transport passengers on a regular basis for a fee, (i.e., taxi, limousine, and buses)." My question is, if I sign up as an uber driver and maybe give a ride every now and then to keep up my "regular basis" quota would I be justified? I know more than likely I will get pulled over at some point for it, but since it is technically a vehicle for hire on a regular basis wouldn't uber suffice as a defense?
Edit** I do not intend on making it dark enough to be a safety hazzard at all.

16Adams
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Window tint loophole?

Post by 16Adams »

Texas Adminstrative Code allows as low as 25% light transmission to the left and right of the driver. I have that on my two vehicles with darker window behind me. It's nearly impossible to view inside in bright sunlight. That's the combined darkness of the factory and additional tint.

How dark are you wanting to loophole into?

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

16Adams wrote:Texas Adminstrative Code allows as low as 25% light transmission to the left and right of the driver. I have that on my two vehicles with darker window behind me. It's nearly impossible to view inside in bright sunlight. That's the combined darkness of the factory and additional tint.

How dark are you wanting to loophole into?
Well I'm not exactly sure but I was thinking 15% on the fronts

Wes

Post by Wes »

I almost did limo tint on my front but went for 10% which I used for many years and was never questioned about it. I eventually removed it myself as night time driving was rough at times, especially backing up. Your mileage may vary and 15 may be better but I have standard 25 now and wouldn't dream of going back. Maybe I'm just getting too old?! :headscratch
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Mick22

Post by Mick22 »

Wes wrote:I almost did limo tint on my front but went for 10% which I used for many years and was never questioned about it. I eventually removed it myself as night time driving was rough at times, especially backing up. Your mileage may vary and 15 may be better but I have standard 25 now and wouldn't dream of going back. Maybe I'm just getting too old?! :headscratch
I agree Wes. I currently have 20% windows up front and its a pain when driving through the yard or reversing at night. And yes, you can always roll your windows down.

With that said, my next vehicle will have the standard 35%.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

jb2012 wrote:I have been wanting to put some slightly darker tint on the front windows of my truck (not windshield) for security as well as heat reflection. So, naturally I have been looking for a loophole to achieve this. Until now my best idea was to ask my eye doctor to write me an exemption, in that instance I actually do have mild cataracts that would make it a little more ethical...maybe... Either way I didn't feel comfortable putting my eye doctor in that position so I kept on. I found that one of the exemptions states: "Vehicles used to transport passengers on a regular basis for a fee, (i.e., taxi, limousine, and buses)." My question is, if I sign up as an uber driver and maybe give a ride every now and then to keep up my "regular basis" quota would I be justified? I know more than likely I will get pulled over at some point for it, but since it is technically a vehicle for hire on a regular basis wouldn't uber suffice as a defense?
Edit** I do not intend on making it dark enough to be a safety hazzard at all.
Sounds like if that's in the Admin Code, it's your call. Just be prepared to fight the inevitable tickets.

The only think I would be worried about is the "regular basis" requirement. If it's not explicitly defined, it's up for interpretation what "regular basis" actually is. I doubt 1 or 2 Uber rides per week would be considered "regular basis" under the intent of the law.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Wes

Post by Wes »

Also, your only issue will not be possible tickets but getting your inspection done. The company that did mine warned me they will measure the window tint level if they suspect it's too dark. I had one guy look at the windows and then back at me several times before giving me a stink eye and walking away. No one ever actually called me on it though.

And yes mick, I almost always had to roll down my windows at night when backing out or something. It really for old quick, the 'coolness' of it went away quickly (literally and figuratively speaking here).
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Return to “Off-Topic”