New Front in Civil Forfeiture - prepaid and credit card readers

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

New Front in Civil Forfeiture - prepaid and credit card readers

Post by JALLEN »

http://oklahomawatch.org/2016/06/07/new ... aid-cards/
The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety has purchased several devices capable of seizing funds loaded on to prepaid debit cards to aid troopers in roadside seizures of suspected drug-trafficking proceeds.

The portable card scanners are designed to be carried in law enforcement vehicles, allow troopers to freeze and seize money loaded onto a prepaid debit card, and to return money to an account whose funds were seized or frozen.
Those Okies sure are a weird bunch, alright.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Re: New Front in Civil Forfeiture - prepaid and credit card readers

Post by E.Marquez »

" and to return money to an account whose funds were seized or frozen." Id love to see the stats on how often THAT happens
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Wow, wait till they get the ability to max out your non-prepaid credit cards without a trial...arrgh how can this be Constitutional? :mad5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Civil forfeiture is one of those topics that truly drives me up a wall.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

No warrant or trial? Seems like a blatant 4th Amendment violation.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

parabelum wrote:No warrant or trial? Seems like a blatant 4th Amendment violation.
Not to be snarky, but what part of Civil Forfeiture ISN'T a blatant and direct violation of the 4th Amendment?

Everything about Civil Forfeiture is designed to be an end-run around constitutional protections of the accused.

This is a topic I really should stay away from. There aren't enough blood pressure pills to keep me safe, and it doesn't take long for me to start sounding like a raving looney when I get started.

:blowup
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

cbunt1 wrote:
parabelum wrote:No warrant or trial? Seems like a blatant 4th Amendment violation.
Not to be snarky, but what part of Civil Forfeiture ISN'T a blatant and direct violation of the 4th Amendment?

Everything about Civil Forfeiture is designed to be an end-run around constitutional protections of the accused.

This is a topic I really should stay away from. There aren't enough blood pressure pills to keep me safe, and it doesn't take long for me to start sounding like a raving looney when I get started.

:blowup
Yeah, read up on civil forfeiture. No warrant, maybe no probable cause at all, and they can take anything.

Because the war on drugs.
Because terrorists.
Think of the kids.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

My wife and teenage daughter thought I was joking around when I told them that police might take her phone, I-pad, any cash we all had, and anything else they wanted during a traffic stop. Then they googled civil asset forfeiture. Now they are just scared. I tell them that this is why we need the second amendment.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

"The card readers will not be used to randomly swipe motorists’ gift or prepaid cards, Vincent said, but only in cases in which the trooper suspects criminal activity is taking place. "

Driving on the interstate has been used as a reason to suspect criminal activity.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Policing for profit
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

this is SCARY...but i never get pre-paid cards..except once in a great while and usually 100 dollars or less.
I would be pretty p.o if some policeman will nilly felt i was engaged in criminal acts...with no trial or ???
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

psijac

Post by psijac »

threoh8 wrote:"The card readers will not be used to randomly swipe motorists’ gift or prepaid cards, Vincent said, but only in cases in which the trooper suspects criminal activity is taking place. "

Driving on the interstate has been used as a reason to suspect criminal activity.

I "smell weed" please step out of the car, sir.
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

For your reading pleasure (have blood pressure meds on hand, and a puke bucket ready... you may become sick to your stomach) http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/invest ... and-seize/
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

Yep, this is just the latest. It'll get worse. Bureaucracy at its finest. Just keep telling the populace that you're doing it for their own safety, and that police NEED to be able to violate your rights to make you safe, when time after time, headline after headline the truth is illustrated plainly. This makes me sick in my bones.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

From what I understand, thy get away with it on the principle that their complaint/accusation is against the property, not you, and therefore your rights are not being violated. Of course, for that fiction to stand, they have to disavow a right to property, and redefine your property as not yours.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”