Motor homes

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Motor homes

Post by rotor »

I researched this for about 2 years as my wife has wanted one. I subscribed to the magazine "Trailer" and really got turned off to buying either a trailer or motorhome. I drove one of the bigger ones and when crossing over a bridge I felt that I only had 2 inches of clearance on each side. Made me nervous. When I was younger I rented one of those smaller motorhomes. 2 second showers, packed into a small area, not for me. The reason that you can even rent these things is because the people who buy them don't use them and let a dealer rent them out. There tends to be a lot of shoddy construction too, difficult and expensive parts to get to and if you have a motor home and it breaks down on the trip where do you live, and we have 3 dogs so that would be tough. So many of these companies have gone bust too. See if you can find an owners manual on line for anything you are contemplating getting and study it ahead of time. I hate driving anyhow and Mrs. Rotor does most of the driving. Winter time you have to keep the mess from freezing and the toilet situation doesn't really make it easier. Watch the movie RV with Robin Williams.
If you really want to though, go the rental route. I have an F250 and tow a bunch of ATVs. No sweat with that diesel engine. Never towed the big boys though and don't have any interest. The get a bulldozer idea sounds better.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

The Annoyed Man wrote:treadlightly, that Casita trailer looks sweet! Hmmmm........
Since you sail, this may make sense - those Casitas remind me of Potter sailboats, and if you've kept up with the Potter-yachters idea of Pottering, it's grand fun. Their boats could be more seakindly, but they've got the concept down cold.

I think I'll buy or build a sturdy camp-cruiser sailboat before too long, because I so love waking up in the morning to a stiff back, the pinches and aches of a past day's high impact fun, and a sense that all is truly right in the world. There's nothing like sailing small boats. Throw in a little autumn chill to shiver through and it's perfect.

But looking again at those Casitas, I get the idea there's some good possibilities for exploration in them, even if I wouldn't still feel the deck moving under my feet when I got home. Might have to talk to the missus.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 23

Post by carlson1 »

I looked at a Redwood 5th wheel yesterday (just for fun) at Explore USA in Mesquite. Everyone get ready.........$94,000.00 base price. It was 44' long with every bells and whistles known to man.

TAM if you buy that one I will travel with you and teach you everything I know. :clapping:

By the way all of the FunTime RV are a posted 30.06 and 30.07 and I was told directly, "do not send us a letter because we are not interested in business from gun toters." I seen those in Cleburn posted and I called the FunTime in Hewitt because they had a used 5th wheel I was interested and so I asked the man if their store was posted. I got an ear full until I just hung up. It was the man in Hewitt that blew his top. :banghead:

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Oldgringo »

This thread has gone up to three pages of advice and opinion. As Camp Hosts in Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks state parks the past five summers, we've met all of these folk....in one form or another.

Like I said earlier, RVing ain't for everybody and it may not be for you. Rent before you buy and try it, y'all may like it. (emphasis on y'all)

Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jusme »

carlson1 wrote:I looked at a Redwood 5th wheel yesterday (just for fun) at Explore USA in Mesquite. Everyone get ready.........$94,000.00 base price. It was 44' long with every bells and whistles known to man.

TAM if you buy that one I will travel with you and teach you everything I know. :clapping:

By the way all of the FunTime RV are a posted 30.06 and 30.07 and I was told directly, "do not send us a letter because we are not interested in business from gun toters." I seen those in Cleburn posted and I called the FunTime in Hewitt because they had a used 5th wheel I was interested and so I asked the man if their store was posted. I got an ear full until I just hung up. It was the man in Hewitt that blew his top. :banghead:

Wouldn't do business with fun time whether posted or not as a LEO in Cleburne I ran across some real shady characters working there. Several investigations involving theft and fraud, they keep moving their lots for a reason.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 43

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well thanks for all of the advice everyone. When we first started doing all of this research, a couple of years ago, we were looking at ultralight trailers in the 18' to 25' range, and seeing those Casita trailers kind of got me back to where we started. I like those. And they are affordable. And they are light. And they have a smallish footprint. And the used ones are almost cheap.

Now I have to think and pray over whether or not we want to go forward with this.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

Those little Casita's are nice. We almost got one back when I was training and competing with dogs for all the traveling around.

If I could afford the gas, using a Class C or B for everyday driving would be cool. Get tired, just pull into a parking lot somewhere for a little while. Gotta go, just pull over for a few minutes. Hungry, just pull over for a few minutes and make a sandwich. Traffic is slow or stopped. No problem.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dan20703
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dan20703 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:My two experiences with RVs and TTs is this:

So, not counting food, the trip cost us about $2,700 in round numbers.
The best thing about this vs an RV is that when you get home you don't have to pay anymore.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Oldgringo »

Dan20703 wrote:

So, not counting food, the trip cost us about $2,700 in round numbers.
The best thing about this vs an RV is that when you get home you don't have to pay anymore.
...and you know what's under and in the bed.

dhoenich

Post by dhoenich »

TAM,

My mom and dad have a 35' or so class A gas that they bought used with 30,000 miles on it. They have had to fix some stuff in the 10 - 15 years they have had it, but have over way over 150K that they have put on it. He did break down and have a new motor put in a year ago when something happened. When they travel, it is for a couple months, and they tow their car. He shopped around quite a bit to see what he liked and wanted. Came to the conclusion of plenty of larger basement hatches, and no slide outs. Slide out can break, leak, etc, and when they are closed, make it hard to get around. He found a layout he was happy with at a great price from someone that didn't like it, but he loves it. When they come visit, they have their own place to stay with all their stuff. In fact, he's showing up for a couple weeks in it this weekend and it is no inconvenience at all.

That being said, for weekend and short trips, it is going to be an expensive option, but if you plan on longer trips, you can't beat it.

We live pretty close and I'm sure he would love to talk to you about it while they are here if you want. PM me if interested.

Dhoenich

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
I am perfectly willing to consider buying used for the right kind of package. This one here is one that my wife and I have looked at online more than once, and is typical of what we are looking for, but there is no way I could afford one like this brand new: http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2006-Gu ... -118625422.

Do any of you have any words of advice on what I ought to be watching out for, either as desireable or something to avoid?
If you decide on a motor home do some homework on the power plant. Ford introduced a 6.0L diesel several years ago that was recalled multiple times. There are a couple of shops around providing what they call bullet-proofing for that particular engine at approximately $7k.

Good luck in the hunt!
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm surprised by the bargains that seem to be available in the used RV market.
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2013-Co ... -118972394
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

dale blanker
Banned

Post by dale blanker »

I think the suggestions to rent are good. My daughter and her family fly to near their final destination and then rent a large RV from a nearby business, thus avoiding the stress of a long trip.

Also, buying a vehicle may not be optimum for every trip. A smaller camper might be fine for a long weekend or so but for longer trips or with grandkids you need more space. So one thought is to buy a small camper for many short trips but leaving it at home and renting for longer trips. Or you could combine RVing and motelling, i.e. spending most of trip time in the small RV but checking into a motel once in a while to reorganize.

We have a small (Catalina 22) sailboat that we trailer to nearby lakes but charter 30-38 foot sailboats for long trips in the Gulf or Caribbean or PNW. On one trip we did trailer our sailboat to Dunedin, FL and kept it in the local marina for daysailing while we stayed in the motel next door. [Check my avatar... that's my wife enjoying the sunset. ;-) ] On that same trip we used it as a camper in Disneyworld's Ft Wilderness.

Good luck!
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

talltex

Post by talltex »

(1) I owned a pop up trailer back in the early 2000's which I sold on 2006. I paid $1300 for it, in used but sericeable condition, owned it for maybe 4 years, used it at least once a year for a church camp out and a couple of other times for fishing trips. I sold it to my best friend for $600.

(2) That same best friend and I once rented a Tioga 28' motor home and took his daughter, my wife, and my son on a 10 day trip to the area around Sabrina lake up in the high sierras. Had a wonderful trip, and the rental alone was $1,500, plus the gas.

OTH, my wife and I went to California in late May/early June. We drove (I won't fly unless completely unavoidable because I'm fed up with the processes involved), and were gone from 5/23 to 6/8. We stayed in hotels. We spent $602.00 on gas, and $2100 on lodging (included pet fees). So, not counting food, the trip cost us about $2,700 in round numbers.

I don't know what hookups cost per night in Amarillo, Albuqueque, Williams, and Flagstaff (the cities we spent the night in while on the road, but a 25' travel trailer would have cost us $720/week during that trip, and we were gone for 15 nights..... So roughly $1,440 plus hookup fees.......and more gas. The only RV park near Pasadena (that isn't up in the Angeles National Forest) is a KOA at the Pomona Country Fairgrounds, with rates between $56 & $76 per day for full hookups. So, for the 10 nights we were in Pasadena, add $560 to $760 in hookup fees for lodging, plus the extra fuel burned towing a trailer, and now we are already at or above what I spent during that trip, and I still haven't figured in trailer hookups in Amarillo, Albuquerque, Williams, and Flagstaff!

TAM, you've left out the biggest expense involved in a TT or MH....depreciation...it's huge. If you buy a new rig, you can count on minimum 50% depreciation in the first 2 years you own it...and I've seen it higher. I was trading for a Class C last year with same set up you had looked at on the 2006, Ford f450 chassis, etc.. Longtime customer of mine had bought it new in 2013 and it had 11,000 miles on it in "as new" condition in and out. They had paid $91,000.00 for it. I shopped it with 6 major RV dealers in the southwest and the highest bid was from the dealer chain they had purchased it from ( they knew the vehicle and how it was cared for). Their bid...the highest...was $31,000.00 due to it being in the fall and they figured they would have to hold it until spring selling season and would then sell it in the $50k range retail. Add in 25-35% annual depreciation the first few years and the costs to own and operate an RV skyrocket. and that's assuming no major repair expenses because of being new...when they get 7-10 years on them they all have problems with water lines, holding tanks, water leaks, etc...
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

RoyGBiv wrote:I'm surprised by the bargains that seem to be available in the used RV market.
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2013-Co ... -118972394
I'm not. People realizing what a huge mistake they made and want out badly.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Off-Topic”