Why Do They Do That?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Javier730
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Why Do They Do That?

Post by Javier730 »

sbrawley wrote:Everyone is born right handed, but only the greatest can overcome it.
There is truth in that phrase. I've heard from somewhere that lefties are more adaptable than righties because we all live in a right handed world and lefties have to learn to adjust.
I bet the guy that said that was a lefty.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

thatguyoverthere wrote:Sitting here watching a little TV, and notice (again) on a random commercial they are showing a person doing some routine task using what would normally be done with their dominate hand. The person doing the task in the commercial is doing it left-handed, but from their awkwardness it is quite obvious that the person is NOT left-handed. I've noticed this quite often in commercials over the years. Why do they do that??? :confused5

If you invest in a large TV, those things,are much less noticeable. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

sbrawley wrote:Everyone is born right handed, but only the greatest can overcome it.
There is truth in that phrase. I've heard from somewhere that lefties are more adaptable than righties because we all live in a right handed world and lefties have to learn to adjust.
I'll buy a pound of that!

I'm a confirmed lefty, but there is one thing I've always done right handed as far back as I can remember, and that is to swing a bat/club. I think it's because it puts my dominant left eye forward toward whatever it is I'm swinging at. Nobody ever made me swing at something this way. It just comes natural. But otherwise I'm a left handed kicker, goofy footed surfer, and lefty shooter. I do make sure to always get a few rounds off right handed at the range, just make sure I can.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

KLB

Post by KLB »

mojo84 wrote:Its my right to be what I want when I want.
Apparently, sometimes it's your left.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

why am I flashing back to the 'sword duel in the rocks' scene from "The Princess Bride"?

I was going to vote for "the director and the set dresser didn't coordinate"; and when they blocked the scene prior to shooting found out that using the naturally dominant hand partially obscured the shot from the pre-set camera angle. In the spirit of "if you didn't have the time to get it right in the first place, how are you going to find the time to fix it", they just told the actor to use the (wrong) hand thereby keeping their body position 'open' to the camera. AKA "I don't want it award-worthy, I want it in post-production in 48 hours".

Either that or they're just messing with us.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Had to post it
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

I'm a confirmed lefty, but there is one thing I've always done right handed as far back as I can remember, and that is to swing a bat/club. I think it's because it puts my dominant left eye forward toward whatever it is I'm swinging at. Nobody ever made me swing at something this way. It just comes natural. But otherwise I'm a left handed kicker, goofy footed surfer, and lefty shooter. I do make sure to always get a few rounds off right handed at the range, just make sure I can.
The same works for right eye dominant batters batting left handed.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

allisji

Post by allisji »

I thought that everyone on TV and in the media was a lefty, (except for a few righties on Fox News maybe).
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

The Annoyed Man

anygunanywhere wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Wow. I really didn't know that. I was just speculating because it was the only thing that made sense to me. Glad to know it is independently confirmed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

anygunanywhere wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

allisji wrote:I thought that everyone on TV and in the media was a lefty, (except for a few righties on Fox News maybe).
Fightin' words! :nono: :cup: :mrgreen:

#TINVOWOOT

allisji

Post by allisji »

my 4 year old son is left handed. Which reminds me that I need to start adding some ambidextrous/left handed guns to my gun safe. You know, to pass along when he is of age. It may have to wait awhile though, as I need some time to convince the Mrs...
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

I just Googled "famous people who are left-handed," looking for Donnie Wahlberg, who wears his holster on the left side and shoots left-handed on the Blue Bloods series. I didn't know, though, that his brother, Mark, is also left-handed. I thought he was right-handed in "Shooter." I usually notice when a shooter is left-handed, especially using a rifle. I could be wrong. You would be amazed at how many lefties are out there.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

allisji wrote:my 4 year old son is left handed. Which reminds me that I need to start adding some ambidextrous/left handed guns to my gun safe. You know, to pass along when he is of age. It may have to wait awhile though, as I need some time to convince the Mrs...

Show her studies, on the the difficulty left handed people have trying to conform to things made for right handers. Tell her that if your son is denied the opportunity, to shoot guns specifically made for him, especially during his formative years, that it may cause irreparable, psychological harm, and she wouldn't want that. :nono:

:biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:why am I flashing back to the 'sword duel in the rocks' scene from "The Princess Bride"?
Because it's the greatest movie ever made and lots of stuff should remind you of it?

Just in case any of you haven't seen this, it's really well done:

I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'm a confirmed lefty, but there is one thing I've always done right handed as far back as I can remember, and that is to swing a bat/club. I think it's because it puts my dominant left eye forward toward whatever it is I'm swinging at. Nobody ever made me swing at something this way. It just comes natural. But otherwise I'm a left handed kicker, goofy footed surfer, and lefty shooter. I do make sure to always get a few rounds off right handed at the range, just make sure I can.
I write left-handed, throw and bat right handed I am right eye dominant, but most natural shooting is left handed which is how I learned; although since taking up shooting again upon moving to TX I have only shot right handed both pistol and rifle. Guess I need to practice both ways.

My older brother writes and plays guitar right handed, but does everything else lefty.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “Off-Topic”