FLAG burning being challenged by Trump

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Should flag burning be legal

yes
58%
no
35%
only by Hippies over the age of 50
6%

Total votes: 93

Topic author
TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 6

FLAG burning being challenged by Trump

Post by TreyHouston »

SOOOOO..... Trump is saying that flag burning should be illegal and should come with 1 year imprisonment. Yes, it is established that it is a form of protected speech by the SCOTUS. The discussion is not about whether or not it is legal.

But what are your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/politics/ ... index.html
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Re: FLAG burning being challenged by Trump

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Yes it should be legal. And if your act provokes someone into punching you in the face, that person should not be charged.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I hate it, but it is a form of speech.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

I hate it but it should be legal. Most cities have laws against setting un contained fires though, and this is what people should be charged with.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

steveincowtown wrote:I hate it but it should be legal. Most cities have laws against setting un contained fires though, and this is what people should be charged with.
I like that, but you know it wouldn't stick! lol

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RogueUSMC »

Trump engages his mouth before he engages his brain...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Correction, he engages twitter before he engages his brain...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Trump should REALLY STAY OFF TWITTER AND SOCIAL MEDIA. his accounts should be given to a social media rep. 100% agree

on a side note I have found that it is illegal to burn other things such as a cross.... that's not protected speech....

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

TreyHouston wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:I hate it but it should be legal. Most cities have laws against setting un contained fires though, and this is what people should be charged with.
I like that, but you know it wouldn't stick! lol
This is a problem that I have with the new generation of protestors. If you want to protest, fine. But if your protest involves the commission of unrelated crimes, like blocking traffic, destruction of property that is not yours, littering, verbal / physical assault, or starting fires in the street, then you should be punished for those crimes. To me, there is no conflict here. I have a right to stand in the public square telling the world my thoughts on whatever is going on. But that does not give me the right to break any laws.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Most cities have permitting processes if you want to have a public gathering - but you don't see those rules being enforced either.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

TreyHouston wrote:Trump should REALLY STAY OFF TWITTER AND SOCIAL MEDIA. his accounts should be given to a social media rep. 100% agree

on a side note I have found that it is illegal to burn other things such as a cross.... that's not protected speech....
I agree on Trump's Twitter use. He would be much better off delegating that communication medium to someone on his staff. He could literally just pick anyone at random, and they would do a better job with that.

I also do not think that burning crosses should be illegal (as long as you don't violate ordinances on setting fires in general). The thing is that just about any controversial statement is "hate speech" to someone out there. Having fought for our rights, I have a deep respect for each and every one of them. But I have zero respect for anyone's need to have the government protect them from being offended by what someone might do or say.

That is not to say that we should not suffer consequences for our actions. Personally, I think Mr Kaepernick (sp?) is being hateful to me and many, many, others when he takes a knee during our national anthem. I still think he has the right to do it. The government should not imprison him, or fine him, for what he is doing. But that does not mean that his employer should not suspend or fine him, or even terminate his employment. I really wish they would do exactly that.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 10

Post by parabelum »

I am somewhat leaning towards it being illegal.

Burning the flag of this Nation for which so many died is not speech. Rather, it is an physical act to provoke and incite violence.

Freedom of expression is not same as freedom of speech, to me.
I support free speech fully, as disgusting as it may be.
Flag burning is an physical act, and again, it has nothing to do with speech, to me.

To burn the flag you need more then a filthy Prog mouth.

I know...most will disagree with me, and that's ok.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

bblhd672 wrote:
Most cities have permitting processes if you want to have a public gathering - but you don't see those rules being enforced either.
I don't really care for the permitting process for peacefully assembly. I would like to see the protest permitting process curtailed and more heavily restricted as to when/where/how it can be enforced - such as only being required if the gather is walking down the street, or would require blocking the sidewalk so others are impeded and cannot pass.

Freedom is messy, with freedoms will come things we don't like. Does not mean it should be illegal. Flag burning while heinous, should be legal. Now being charged with an uncontrolled fire because you are recklessly burning the flag or there is a burn ban during a drought or something like that would be another matter.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

jsclark12

Post by jsclark12 »

I agree that it should be protected by the First Amendment.

While the act disgusts me and I would be very vocal to anyone that I personally know who did it, I still believe that our rights should be protected
Josh
Joshua 24:15

parabelum
Posts in topic: 10

Post by parabelum »

TreyHouston wrote:SOOOOO..... Trump is saying that flag burning should be illegal and should come with 1 year imprisonment. Yes, it is established that it is a form of protected speech by the SCOTUS. The discussion is not about whether or not it is legal.

But what are your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/politics/ ... index.html
I wonder where he got that thought...

18 U.S. Code § 700

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-20 ... sec700.htm

Return to “Off-Topic”