How easy it was to get through customs

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 5

How easy it was to get through customs

Post by nightmare69 »

Wife and I just got back from our honeymoon cruise to Cozumel from Galveston. This was my first time out of the country. We bought a couple of bottles of liquor and some antibiotics while in Cozumel.

When debarking I had my TABC and US Customs form filled out ready to go. We were just asked a couple of questions on where we visited and what we bought as the CBP agent was checking our passports. There wasn't any dogs other than one sniffing bags that were brought off the boat by staff, we took all our bags off ourselves. I was expecting to go through some type of bag and or body X-ray or some type of search. Nothing. When we made it through there was one table of TABC officers asking if we bought any alcohol or cigarettes. This apparently was on the honor system to declare if you bought any. I paid my $7.50 and was off to find a taxi.

I never saw anyone in the 12 lines get tagged for a search or taken out of line. My wife and I could have easily smuggled back a ton prescription drugs or anything else and been allowed to walk back into the country. It's a bit scary how laid back it was to enter the US.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How easy it was to get through customs

Post by Mxrdad »

That's surprising on one hand, on the other hand, not so much considering the lack of border security we have had for many moons. I hope President Trump (might as well start saying it like that instead of Pres-Elect) really gets a grip on all of our borders. Of course including the scenario mentioned above and any other ways to enter our great country. I guess the $ 7.50 doesnt cover a full inspection???? Haha.
Just some guy's opinion.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I have re-entered a number of times. When traveling as a private US citizen or individual military member on leave or orders, it was pretty much as you described.

When I came back as a member of a military unit traveling together on a military aircraft or civil aircraft chartered by military - THEN we got dogs and bag searches and extra scrutiny.
USAF 1982-2005

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I have a friend who went to Germany to visit relatives. She took her dog and a small amount of dog food which she had purchased at a local WalMart here in NM. Customs would not let her bring the dog food back in as Pedigree is or was made in China.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Mxrdad wrote:That's surprising on one hand, on the other hand, not so much considering the lack of border security we have had for many moons. I hope President Trump (might as well start saying it like that instead of Pres-Elect) really gets a grip on all of our borders. Of course including the scenario mentioned above and any other ways to enter our great country. I guess the $ 7.50 doesnt cover a full inspection???? Haha.
I hope so too. I did hear that if we went to Jamaica or Belize that they would be tighter security when going through customs. All the $7.50 got me was a couple of TABC stamps to put on my bottles. They never asked to see it. All on the honor system.

ELB wrote:I have re-entered a number of times. When traveling as a private US citizen or individual military member on leave or orders, it was pretty much as you described.

When I came back as a member of a military unit traveling together on a military aircraft or civil aircraft chartered by military - THEN we got dogs and bag searches and extra scrutiny.

You would think it would be the other way around. I'm sure civilians bring in more contraband back than military.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

WTR wrote:I have a friend who went to Germany to visit relatives. She took her dog and a small amount of dog food which she had purchased at a local WalMart here in NM. Customs would not let her bring the dog food back in as Pedigree is or was made in China.
Only consumable we brought back besides the liquor was a few bottles of vanilla.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dhoobler »

If you frequently travel abroad, I highly recommend enrolling in the Global Entry program. It makes re-entry a lot easier and faster. I have used it five times this year.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trav ... obal-entry

BTW, note to moderators. I keep getting banned when I browse this forum from abroad. :cryin
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

dhoobler wrote:If you frequently travel abroad, I highly recommend enrolling in the Global Entry program. It makes re-entry a lot easier and faster. I have used it five times this year.

BTW, note to moderators. I keep getting banned when I browse this forum from abroad. :cryin
If don't see how it could be any easier than what we went through today. Entire process took less than 10 mins once we got in line.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

During my working career, I traveled extensively abroad over the years and found U.S. customs no more or less stringent than any other country. Airport security however was a different matter overseas. Brazil was the most stringent, as each passenger in line at check in was questioned extensively every time I returned from there. But customs, the U.S. was no different than the rest.

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dhoobler »

nightmare69 wrote:
dhoobler wrote:If you frequently travel abroad, I highly recommend enrolling in the Global Entry program. It makes re-entry a lot easier and faster. I have used it five times this year.

If don't see how it could be any easier than what we went through today. Entire process took less than 10 mins once we got in line.
You did not enter through an airport. The lines can be brutal without Global Entry.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

BeanCounter

Post by BeanCounter »

nightmare69 wrote: honeymoon cruise to Cozumel from Galveston
First of all Congratulations!

I have taken several cruises leaving and returning to Galveston without issue with US Customs...well except the one time I departed the ship wearing my H&K ball cap......the customs officer wanted to chat about the virtues of H&K verses Sig.
TSRA Life Member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

BeanCounter wrote:
nightmare69 wrote: honeymoon cruise to Cozumel from Galveston
First of all Congratulations!

I have taken several cruises leaving and returning to Galveston without issue with US Customs...well except the one time I departed the ship wearing my H&K ball cap......the customs officer wanted to chat about the virtues of H&K verses Sig.

Thanks! We had a great time. Got married back in March and had to save up for our honeymoon. I thought about renting a scooter in Cozumel but quickly changed my mind after seeing how they drive there. I would ride one on 635 in Dallas before going downtown in Cozumel.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I brought food back from China, but it was in the original packaging and unopened. The only thing I saw them prohibiting was packaged meats.

I've had some interesting Customs experiences. First time back from China I had purchased a lot of jewelry. The Customs guy looked in his book, and said "How does 3% sound?" I replied, amazed, "I didn't know it was negotiable!". He said they have some flexibility on certain items.

Another time, bringing a sailboat back from Bermuda, we had a lot of wine. Apparently the duty on this was pretty low and a lot of paperwork. The Customs guy asked if I had anything to declare and when I said we had some wine, he said again in a wink-wink tone, "Do you have anything to declare?" "No, sir!." and went our way.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Off-Topic”