Texas Republican elector won't vote Trump

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 11

Texas Republican elector won't vote Trump

Post by bblhd672 »

The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

parabelum
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Texas Republican elector won't vote Trump

Post by parabelum »

Traitor.

Deserves no other articulation.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I just signed the petition to Governor Greg Abbott to bind our electoral college to popular vote:

https://www.change.org/p/govenor-greg-a ... pular-vote?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Bitter Clinger wrote:I just signed the petition to Governor Greg Abbott to bind our electoral college to popular vote:

https://www.change.org/p/govenor-greg-a ... pular-vote?
I just signed it.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Signed
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Signed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

I heard somewhere that this would be the first time that Texas has had a faithless elector. Is that true?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I heard somewhere that this would be the first time that Texas has had a faithless elector. Is that true?
I have read that more than once that Texas never has...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

What a moron.

He is not voting for Trump because he wants to "elect a President and not a King". And he thinks the best way to do this is by having a handful of electors subvert the will of the voter and just pick whoever they personally want?

This isn't a carnival like the Democratic primary with their super-delegates. We are talking about the foundation of our Republic, here. So much for the peaceful transition of power.

mdubtx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mdubtx »

Signed.
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

OTOH, the electors do have the authority to vote for whomever they please according to whatever principles or beliefs they may hold. Otherwise, why do we have the Electoral College? Why not just automatically assign the electoral vote of the the state to the winning candidate and skip the Electoral College vote completely?

Personally, that's my preference. Skip the Electoral College shenanigans and just declare that the winning candidate gets the votes. Done!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

Signed. Using the excuse that he received hundreds of letters, phone call and emails to not follow the voters choice just shows what a dolt he is. Of course he's received communications from the whiners to change his vote. The voters who gave Trump Texas' Electoral votes expect him to be faithful so why would they email him to do his duty. He says he's fine with the Electoral College, but I would ask him why should Texans bother to vote if he gets to decide who gets the Electoral vote regardless of the outcome. I think he's confused about who wants to be a king. He should be publicly run out of the party the moment he casts his vote.
Last edited by puma guy on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

Signed!

He seems to think he knows what's best for the rest of us, that alone makes me angry!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 11

Post by bblhd672 »

crazy2medic wrote:Signed!

He seems to think he knows what's best for the rest of us, that alone makes me angry!
Because he is a native New Yorker I wonder if there may be something in his background where he has had bad experience with Trump, Inc. Or because he's a New Yorker he just believes that what he thinks is the right thing for everyone else.

There's another name for northerners who come to the South and act like they know what's best for us...carpetbagger!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man

der Teufel wrote:OTOH, the electors do have the authority to vote for whomever they please according to whatever principles or beliefs they may hold. Otherwise, why do we have the Electoral College? Why not just automatically assign the electoral vote of the the state to the winning candidate and skip the Electoral College vote completely?

Personally, that's my preference. Skip the Electoral College shenanigans and just declare that the winning candidate gets the votes. Done!
Nope. That is a horrible idea. There is a VERY GOOD REASON for the existence of the electoral college.

Consider a parallel example........... Think of it as a sports analogy using major league baseball's world series. The world series consists of 7 separate games, of which the winning team must win 4 or more to win the championship. Let's say that it's a 7 game series, and it goes like this:

AL / NL score

Game 1: 15 / 3
Game 2: 14 / 5
Game 3: 10 / 2
Game 4: 0 / 2
Game 5: 2 / 5
Game 6: 5 / 6
Game 7: 3 / 4

In that situation, the NL team won the series, because it won 4 of the 7 games. That's analogous to electoral college vote. But the losing AL team scored a total of 48 points in the series to the winning team's 27 points. How can a team score MORE points in the series and still lose? It's because it isn't total points that matter, it is games won.

In this analogy, winning or losing a game is the same as winning or losing a state. Total points scored is the same as the popular vote. Go read your copy of the Constitution. The people don't elect a president. The STATES elect the president. The popular vote in each state serves to determine how the state will vote, but it's the state that votes, not the people. There's only 50 states plus DC, and they each have a number of electors equal to their congressional representation. So winning the general election means putting together the combination of states you can win in, with enough electoral votes between them to meet or exceed 270 votes.

This system exists SPECIFICALLY to protect the interests of states with lower populations when it comes to selecting a president who is supposed to represent all the people. Without the electoral college, states with smaller populations become unimportant. California's voters outnumber Texas' voters. Add in the leftist northeaster states with their high populations, and you can kiss the Constitution goodbye if the electoral college is ever abolished.

If that's what you want, then keep advocating for an elimination of the electoral college. OTH, if you love the Constitution and place a high value on its protections of your rights - particularly your 1st and 2nd amendment rights - you MUST support the electoral college. There are TWO kinds of tyranny: the tyranny of the majority, and the tyranny of the minority. The electoral college exists EXACTLY to prevent either kinds of tyranny.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”